Stone chips. Repaint the panel

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2021, 05:20 PM
JK88
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Stone chips. Repaint the panel

Hey guys.

I have so many big and small stone chips all over my front bumper and hood.

I don’t think it is possible to fix them using tiny paint brush. So I was thinking about repainting the entire front bumper and hood panel.

Still, I heard silver metallic ( Rhodium Silver ) is particularly hard to color match with the original. Also, repaint job itself in general, devalue the car itself.

so my question is should I just live with these ugly rock chips or repaint the panel?

what would you do?
Old 03-28-2021, 05:22 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,335 Likes on 752 Posts

Pics of how bad would help.
The following users liked this post:
myred63 (04-21-2021)
Old 03-28-2021, 05:24 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 94 Posts

Make yourself happy, repaint it if it bothers you.
The following 2 users liked this post by arter:
pro1200 (04-17-2021), shammerman (03-28-2021)
Old 03-28-2021, 05:36 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,097 Likes on 2,117 Posts

Document with pics and a date showing it was a cosmetic repair for when resale comes along. If you're planning on selling in the next year, I'd leave the chips and let the next owner decide. Otherwise repaint. Clear film if you want but make sure you let the paint cure first.
Old 03-28-2021, 05:40 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

Depends on your tolerance for perfection. Well done touch up, color sanding, and polish can do wonders to make a panel look better. It takes a lot of time and patience that most auto body shops don’t have. Labor wise it sometimes makes more sense for them to paint the panel.

A front bumper can be painted and the color mismatch be somewhat acceptable. Bumpers usually have a very very slight color mismatch from the factory.

Once you are into the hood usually you are into blending the fenders. Again, if someone spent a day mixing color and doing spray outs it possible to get extremely close and avoid blending. With that said most shops get the color close without too much fussing and blend adjacent panels regardless as it ends up with higher customer satisfaction. Also for insurance jobs, the insurance company will gladly pay for blending panels, they are not going to pay for a day of color matching and spray outs.

The other annoyance I have faced with local shops is that they would rather buy a new bumper than spend hours stripping and smoothing. And for them that makes sense. Where I would rather spend two days prepping the original bumper for paint.

A lot of this depends on your personal tolerance for perfection as I said. If you are going to drive the car on the highway again and the car is going to be chipped again that’s tough to swallow unless you are going to PPF.

I have already gone through the efforts on past cars of getting everything perfect and having a rock blast the hood at 80mph a week later. Now I run PPF where I can. Where I can’t I try to let things get quite sandblasted before I address it.

Last edited by ClassJ; 03-28-2021 at 05:45 PM.
JK88 (03-28-2021)
Old 03-28-2021, 06:30 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 535 Posts

With enough samples the shop should be able to get a very good color match. Discuss this and the need for it to be right. They know what to do but often will mix 2 samples and pick the best. Sometimes 7 or 8 cards are needed. Why no PPF? That could be easily replaced. You should repaint and wait 60 days then apply PPF. Tell the shop you will PPF and see what they recommend from paint perspective and wait time before PPF.
Old 03-28-2021, 07:51 PM
JK88
AutoX

Originally Posted by ClassJ
Depends on your tolerance for perfection. Well done touch up, color sanding, and polish can do wonders to make a panel look better. It takes a lot of time and patience that most auto body shops don’t have. Labor wise it sometimes makes more sense for them to paint the panel.

A front bumper can be painted and the color mismatch be somewhat acceptable. Bumpers usually have a very very slight color mismatch from the factory.

Once you are into the hood usually you are into blending the fenders. Again, if someone spent a day mixing color and doing spray outs it possible to get extremely close and avoid blending. With that said most shops get the color close without too much fussing and blend adjacent panels regardless as it ends up with higher customer satisfaction. Also for insurance jobs, the insurance company will gladly pay for blending panels, they are not going to pay for a day of color matching and spray outs.

The other annoyance I have faced with local shops is that they would rather buy a new bumper than spend hours stripping and smoothing. And for them that makes sense. Where I would rather spend two days prepping the original bumper for paint.

A lot of this depends on your personal tolerance for perfection as I said. If you are going to drive the car on the highway again and the car is going to be chipped again that’s tough to swallow unless you are going to PPF.

I have already gone through the efforts on past cars of getting everything perfect and having a rock blast the hood at 80mph a week later. Now I run PPF where I can. Where I can’t I try to let things get quite sandblasted before I address it.

I am planning to install PPF. You know to do so, it would be better if I repaint the area. Otherwise it would be just waste of money.

Still, what do you think of partial repaint instead of full panel paint job? You know mainly three or four major rock chips are bothering me. So I am also contemplating that option. I think the cost would be the similar. Still I can keep the original paint in the most of area.
Old 03-28-2021, 07:53 PM
JK88
AutoX

Originally Posted by Jack F
With enough samples the shop should be able to get a very good color match. Discuss this and the need for it to be right. They know what to do but often will mix 2 samples and pick the best. Sometimes 7 or 8 cards are needed. Why no PPF? That could be easily replaced. You should repaint and wait 60 days then apply PPF. Tell the shop you will PPF and see what they recommend from paint perspective and wait time before PPF.
yeah. Def, I am planning for it!
still before that, I am just wondering this paint job will be worth it.

if it is not, I would rather go for a partial panel paint job and fix only major imperfection only
Old 03-29-2021, 05:54 PM
DBK4501
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

You should be able to repaint the entire bumper and hood and get good results. If the shop does a good job, it should enhance the car's resale value.

Just make sure you use a guy or shop that is known for doing high end work. There should be no need for new parts in the equation either.
George from MD (03-29-2021)
Old 03-29-2021, 08:40 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by JK88
I am planning to install PPF. You know to do so, it would be better if I repaint the area. Otherwise it would be just waste of money.

Still, what do you think of partial repaint instead of full panel paint job? You know mainly three or four major rock chips are bothering me. So I am also contemplating that option. I think the cost would be the similar. Still I can keep the original paint in the most of area.
Do you mean a spot repair? I would need to see the damage but usually you are far better off with touch up using a brush for most chips.

With metallic base clear you are basically into painting the panel if you are talking about the hood.
Old 04-15-2021, 07:00 PM
stonerwinst
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did the op make a final decision on what to do?

I am in a similar situation. Just bought a 2018 911S with about 26K mi. The bumper has hundreds of rock dings; hood is much better with several small rock chips and one larger 5mm chip. I filled the 5mm chip with Dr Color Chip, but you can see it up close.

Mine is GT Silver. I'm about to take the car to a highend autobody (specialize in exotic cars) to wet-sand and respray the bumper; let's just say the quote is north of 2K. I'm contemplating if I should do the hood too. If I were to do the hood (sand and respray), I would also do a full front-end xpel. Otherwise, I would just do the bumper only and live with whatever future rock chips to come. Bumper+hood is $4K without xpel. I suspect with xpel it will be north of $5K which is consistent with how much someone else paid at a highend place on rennlist for the same job. Of course at this price, the autobody is telling me color will be perfect match and I won't be able to tell it was even done.

Thoughts?

Last edited by stonerwinst; 04-15-2021 at 07:01 PM.
Old 04-15-2021, 07:52 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 554 Likes on 335 Posts

As many have done, my '19 C4S was ordered to my specs, nothing spectacular but it's mine.

Replacing my car just isn't going to happen, so if my bumper/hood needed a re-spray and had a shop I trusted, it would get done. Price is a concern of course but I'll pay for good results.

Opinions my vary.
Old 04-15-2021, 11:48 PM
stonerwinst
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by BSO
As many have done, my '19 C4S was ordered to my specs, nothing spectacular but it's mine.
You underestimate your 911. Everyone of them is spectacular. It is a dream car for many regardless of trim/options; we're fortunate to be able to have one. Like mine, it's used, but it's mine, and it's awesome.

Last edited by stonerwinst; 04-15-2021 at 11:50 PM.
BSO (04-16-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 03:09 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 554 Likes on 335 Posts

^^^
You're are correct in all your words, my "spectacular" mention was in:re to the options I chose, I skipped all but a handful of cosmetic options and paid for the mechanical goodies via the Sport Package and the C4S model, it's an all-weather interceptor.

It's a shame that I have to drive home and park after being out, the temptation to stay in and keep driving is strong!
Old 04-16-2021, 04:23 PM
Jim991
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by stonerwinst
Did the op make a final decision on what to do?

I am in a similar situation. Just bought a 2018 911S with about 26K mi. The bumper has hundreds of rock dings; hood is much better with several small rock chips and one larger 5mm chip. I filled the 5mm chip with Dr Color Chip, but you can see it up close.

Mine is GT Silver. I'm about to take the car to a highend autobody (specialize in exotic cars) to wet-sand and respray the bumper; let's just say the quote is north of 2K. I'm contemplating if I should do the hood too. If I were to do the hood (sand and respray), I would also do a full front-end xpel. Otherwise, I would just do the bumper only and live with whatever future rock chips to come. Bumper+hood is $4K without xpel. I suspect with xpel it will be north of $5K which is consistent with how much someone else paid at a highend place on rennlist for the same job. Of course at this price, the autobody is telling me color will be perfect match and I won't be able to tell it was even done.

Thoughts?
I don't know where you live but that sounds expensive for a bumper respray. I had my bumper, hood, fenders, doors, and rear fenders resprayed at a Porsche certified body shop for $7000. My car is black so its easier to match than silver. Came out perfect.

Quick Reply: Stone chips. Repaint the panel