Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don’t scrap the Bose before you adjust the settings!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2021, 12:04 AM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 260 Likes on 171 Posts

Never understood chasing "good sound" in a moving object. The 911 is a sports car that is pretty loud at speed and poorly insulated to begin with. Source quality aside, you can't even work around a "sweet spot" unlike a good stereo setup at home. Then there's the quality of the components and cables...some easier to swap than others. To those that engage in this endeavor, hats off. I believe it's a fool's errand and have invested in sound systems at home, while enjoying the primary purpose of the 911, which is driving dynamics and its induction noise/sports exhaust.
The following users liked this post:
PAPorscheGuy (03-28-2021)
Old 03-28-2021, 04:12 AM
Schorsch
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by asellus
…There's a big volume gauge right in the middle of your instrument cluster!…
Speaking of gauges: Am I the only one who is always surprised that there is no visual feedback aka "gauge" on how high the volume is!?
No gauge, no number no nothing to visualise that. Maybe they want us to keep the eyes on the road!?
Or am I missing something out?
For the record: think my BOSE sounds decent.
Old 03-28-2021, 07:46 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 627 Likes on 343 Posts

Bemo: I am also in CT and if you think its a "fools errand" with no "sweet spot" I invite you to take a listen to my system. I also have a very loud Targa with PSE, Full Kline Exhaust, 200 cell sport cats, headers, tune, etc.
If you think the sound is tough to improve in a coupe, try improving it in a moving car with targa top down. I can listen to great sound at high volumes even with top down. I invite you to PM me for a test.
What everyone who says they want to listen to the sounds of the car I say you can. When I want car sounds I turn off my system and when I want music I turn it on. You dont lose car sound by having a sick stereo system.

And for those of you with a Bose system that thinks it sounds good or even ok... don't listen to a custom system installation in a 911 and you will be happy forever.
The following 2 users liked this post by PTS-BRG:
NJ991 (03-31-2021), PAPorscheGuy (03-28-2021)
Old 03-28-2021, 10:07 AM
PAPorscheGuy
Instructor

Received 123 Likes on 75 Posts

Thank you all for your comments.

I will not disagree that the best sound is the car itself - I have a PSE and it’s always on, but I am also interested in stereo sound quality. Not ready to give up on the BOSE.

From your comments the source of the music seems to matter - ie direct versus Bluetooth. I have a .2 with CarPlay so that’s good, but may also try the Jukebox/USB.

Sound dampening is interesting, but like others here I don’t want to dampen the best sound, the sound of the car itself.

I will consider your recommendations on replacement speakers.

Thank you again for your comments!
Old 03-28-2021, 10:33 AM
Heathen1970
AutoX

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

So as I bought my 991.1 used I have no idea if the dash speakers were changed. It has the Bose system but the dash has the Burmester covers. I’d like to see a pic of the two side by side taken maybe down though the windshield to compare.
Old 03-28-2021, 10:44 AM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 260 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
Bemo: I am also in CT and if you think its a "fools errand" with no "sweet spot" I invite you to take a listen to my system. I also have a very loud Targa with PSE, Full Kline Exhaust, 200 cell sport cats, headers, tune, etc.
If you think the sound is tough to improve in a coupe, try improving it in a moving car with targa top down. I can listen to great sound at high volumes even with top down. I invite you to PM me for a test.
What everyone who says they want to listen to the sounds of the car I say you can. When I want car sounds I turn off my system and when I want music I turn it on. You dont lose car sound by having a sick stereo system.

And for those of you with a Bose system that thinks it sounds good or even ok... don't listen to a custom system installation in a 911 and you will be happy forever.
Bose and all other car systems are junk compared to home stereo setups. Yes you can spend a lot of money and achieve marginal improvements but there's nothing you can do to avoid road noise at speed which precludes any attempt at critical listening. We won't even debate the fact that most folks get by on MP3's or satellite radio (I do too) whereas at home I have access to good quality .wav's, CDs or vinyl. Then you get into Wadia systems with limited edition JBL floorstanding speakers, kimber cables (bi wired) and interconnects (on special stands to avoid vibration) and proper acoustic treatments like wall panels and floor rugs. Think used 911 money with and after an experience of that magnitude, try driving with whatever sound system you can possibly upgrade to. The "sweet spot" being 1.5 times the distance between the floor standing speakers...not the driver's seat btw

I'm sure you've achieved some improvements with your 911's sound upgrade just don't kid yourself about how limited those are. That said, I'll ping next time I'm around Greenwich but I'm more curious about hearing the Kline exhaust and sports cats...because sports car!
Old 03-28-2021, 10:53 AM
good2go
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

Why does the sound system matter if the car stays parked in the garage and only comes out to be dusted off?
BSO (03-28-2021)
Old 03-28-2021, 12:09 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,009 Likes on 1,246 Posts

Originally Posted by Schorsch
Speaking of gauges: Am I the only one who is always surprised that there is no visual feedback aka "gauge" on how high the volume is!?
No gauge, no number no nothing to visualise that. Maybe they want us to keep the eyes on the road!?
Or am I missing something out?
For the record: think my BOSE sounds decent.
Yeah, it's annoying, but definitely not the first headunit I've used that doesn't display volume. The PCM4 isn't the best, but it's what we've got to work with. At least you can hack android auto onto it.
PAPorscheGuy (03-29-2021)
Old 03-28-2021, 01:22 PM
regajohn
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
You can tweak the Bose to your hearts content but nothing will make it sound good. Better than Horrible can be achieved, but it will never sound good.
Compared to a '70s or even a 90s Porsche oem stereo, the bose in a 991 is billions of light years better.

But other than road trips, I agree that pushing the sport exhaust button and turning off the stereo is the way to go
Old 03-28-2021, 01:47 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 625 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by garfunkle
Go away. You have burmester.... you can't relate to the poors with Bose.
:Yes - fortunate to have that now, but had Bose before. Maybe you can have Burmester one day too!
Old 03-28-2021, 02:37 PM
gripshifter
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

I wish I had the Burmester too. Tweaking the Bose is like putting lipstick on a pig.
The following 3 users liked this post by gripshifter:
PAPorscheGuy (03-28-2021), Schorsch (03-28-2021), shammerman (03-28-2021)
Old 03-28-2021, 02:37 PM
isugoo
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 185 Posts

Calling Bose a premium audio from premium car brand but only giving me treble and bass adjustment is super lame.
I would be less complaining if Bose gives me a decent EQ options so I can change them to my liking to make best (for my ears) out of the system can offers.
But give me only 2 options (treble and bass) is really making them not enjoyable.
Old 03-28-2021, 10:24 PM
Catharpin
Burning Brakes

Received 551 Likes on 291 Posts

I save my music listening for home. Not sure why people pay thousands to have ****ty sounds in their car when they can just listen the the engine.
Old 03-28-2021, 10:45 PM
bb964
Rennlist Member

Received 319 Likes on 197 Posts

I try to keep the radio volume down to listen to the sound notes of the 3.8L, BOSE is just fine...

P.S. I find it hilarious that some folks here spend big $$$ on loud exhaust systems and others big $$$ on upgraded/loud stereos - seems to be mutually exclusive

Last edited by bb964; 03-29-2021 at 02:45 AM.
Old 03-28-2021, 10:58 PM
737gdog
Burning Brakes

Received 556 Likes on 277 Posts

My Wife and Daughter hang on every thread I say when riding with me so I could care less about the tape player in my car.

Quick Reply: Don’t scrap the Bose before you adjust the settings!