Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don’t scrap the Bose before you adjust the settings!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2021, 11:31 PM
mekkiz
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 5 Posts

Can't believe you put the bass to +5. I had to put it to -2 to make sure my ears don't die
The following 4 users liked this post by mekkiz:
ekfc63 (03-29-2021), PAPorscheGuy (03-29-2021), Schorsch (03-29-2021), shammerman (03-29-2021)
Old 03-29-2021, 01:08 AM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,226 Likes on 705 Posts

I've got the Burmester. In ways its better than the Bose but the Burmester sucks. Bad. The system in my bucket daily truck is leaps and bounds better than the Burmester. The truck has budget pioneer speakers and a good quality 10" sub from amazon.

In the Burmester, -6 bass is still enough to blow the speakers and rattle the entire car. Sometimes I can get away with -3.. Anything above is suicide from the interior trim. I can listen and play anything form 90's gangster rap to classical to metal/jazz/rock/pop/electronic. The Burm still can't produce certain sounds/instruments that headphones or my budget amazon system in my truck can. Bose is worse.

Nothing should be offered in the 911, just give me empty speaker slots and I'll put my own stuff in there next time... Sounds absurd, but the Bose and the Burm BLOW.
The following users liked this post:
PAPorscheGuy (03-29-2021)
Old 03-29-2021, 02:22 AM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,023 Likes on 1,256 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dude41
I've got the Burmester. In ways its better than the Bose but the Burmester sucks. Bad. The system in my bucket daily truck is leaps and bounds better than the Burmester. The truck has budget pioneer speakers and a good quality 10" sub from amazon.

In the Burmester, -6 bass is still enough to blow the speakers and rattle the entire car. Sometimes I can get away with -3.. Anything above is suicide from the interior trim. I can listen and play anything form 90's gangster rap to classical to metal/jazz/rock/pop/electronic. The Burm still can't produce certain sounds/instruments that headphones or my budget amazon system in my truck can. Bose is worse.

Nothing should be offered in the 911, just give me empty speaker slots and I'll put my own stuff in there next time... Sounds absurd, but the Bose and the Burm BLOW.
Wow. Not what I expected to hear. Ever.
Old 03-29-2021, 02:33 AM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 554 Likes on 335 Posts

I’m curious about the comments regarding a visual volume display.

On my ‘19 911, at the top of the tuner screen, a red ribbon is displayed that lengthens/shortens as you increase/decrease volume.

So some of you don’t have that?
Old 03-29-2021, 03:38 AM
usccharles
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by BSO

On my ‘19 911, at the top of the tuner screen, a red ribbon is displayed that lengthens/shortens as you increase/decrease volume.

my 2017 911 doesnt have the red ribbon. my moms 2020 911 does. so clearly different firmware.
Old 03-29-2021, 10:11 AM
PAPorscheGuy
Instructor

Received 123 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by mekkiz
Can't believe you put the bass to +5. I had to put it to -2 to make sure my ears don't die
Touche’ - the consensus seems to be there are problems at all frequency ranges, but the biggest issues are apparently are at high frequency as several here have replaced tweeters. CarPlay (.2) and unchecking Linear definitely helps. Thank goodness I have PSE

Last edited by PAPorscheGuy; 03-29-2021 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-29-2021, 11:15 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,399 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Remember when we all had those equalizers with the bouncing light-bar graphs? That's what the Bose system needs.
Old 03-29-2021, 11:38 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,307 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Remember when we all had those equalizers with the bouncing light-bar graphs? That's what the Bose system needs.
^ Yes x10,000. I'd rather have an EQ before better tweeters. First step should be improving/tailoring the signal to what's there. Treble and bass only is LOL bad. What were they thinking, and with a big fancy screen where an EQ would have been a cinch?

Also cracking up a bit at the idea that cars aren't a fantastic listening environment, so it's best to save listening to music for when one is at home. By this logic, I would have sent pretty much every musician and every audience home—but, working with what we had, and most rooms were/are terrible, we created experiences that moved people. You tailor the sound to the space you've got—but to do that, you need a certain amount of equipment with the ability to tailor it. Same goes for cars. Did a drive in an old 914 with a Mezger six on Saturday, and it was heavenly. There's no radio right now, and I didn't miss it a bit. But I've also had some memorable audio experiences in cars over the years, too…

If someone came up with a plug-in/interuptus device or reflash to add an EQ to PCM, I'd be all over it. If it could be set up to counter tire noise, even better.
Old 03-29-2021, 11:53 AM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
^ Yes x10,000. I'd rather have an EQ before better tweeters. First step should be improving/tailoring the signal to what's there. Treble and bass only is LOL bad. What were they thinking, and with a big fancy screen where an EQ would have been a cinch?

Also cracking up a bit at the idea that cars aren't a fantastic listening environment, so it's best to save listening to music for when one is at home. By this logic, I would have sent pretty much every musician and every audience home—but, working with what we had, and most rooms were/are terrible, we created experiences that moved people. You tailor the sound to the space you've got—but to do that, you need a certain amount of equipment with the ability to tailor it. Same goes for cars. Did a drive in an old 914 with a Mezger six on Saturday, and it was heavenly. There's no radio right now, and I didn't miss it a bit. But I've also had some memorable audio experiences in cars over the years, too…

If someone came up with a plug-in/interuptus device or reflash to add an EQ to PCM, I'd be all over it. If it could be set up to counter tire noise, even better.
Using an Ipod is not a bad option esp since you can get CD quality if you choose that option when you download to Itunes. If you have an old Iphone or Ipod Touch laying around try it. The Ipod has a few EQ settings which can be helpful....I use "Acoustic". But as mentioned previously the best results come with using an app called EQU which is a parametric EQ and you can make a LOT of adjustments. I think it's a free app or cheap anyway. Downside is when you use EQU you can't skip tracks or pick music from PCM. It manages the music.
Old 03-29-2021, 12:57 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,023 Likes on 1,256 Posts

Originally Posted by BSO

Originally Posted by usccharles
my 2017 911 doesnt have the red ribbon. my moms 2020 911 does. so clearly different firmware.
2017 and 2019 should both be PCM4 on the same firmware that I have on my 2017. I wouldn't be surprised if the 992 has different hardware on top of software.

Could you both check your versions? It's under Car > Set > Version Information (or Software Information or something very similar). My software version is MHI2_US_POG11_K3300 0809, with hardware version 051.

@BSO I'm most interested in seeing yours.

The other thing that comes to mind is I almost exclusively use android auto on my PCM4. Next time I drive I'll try adjusting volume while on the radio or bluetooth source instead, see if that changes things.
Old 03-29-2021, 01:27 PM
PAPorscheGuy
Instructor

Received 123 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by asellus
2017 and 2019 should both be PCM4 on the same firmware that I have on my 2017. I wouldn't be surprised if the 992 has different hardware on top of software.

Could you both check your versions? It's under Car > Set > Version Information (or Software Information or something very similar). My software version is MHI2_US_POG11_K3300 0809, with hardware version 051.

@BSO I'm most interested in seeing yours.

The other thing that comes to mind is I almost exclusively use android auto on my PCM4. Next time I drive I'll try adjusting volume while on the radio or bluetooth source instead, see if that changes things.
I have a 2019 and it does have the red volume ribbon that BSO described.

Good idea. I will check the software version. Maybe its a firmware update, possibly hardware.

Will also post photo(s) to show you. Interesting it shows up (very briefly) using the radio tuner, bluetooth, and CarPlay, but only when i use the volume **** on the console, not the volume dial on the MFSW!
Old 03-29-2021, 01:54 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,307 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
Using an Ipod is not a bad option esp since you can get CD quality if you choose that option when you download to Itunes. If you have an old Iphone or Ipod Touch laying around try it. The Ipod has a few EQ settings which can be helpful....I use "Acoustic". But as mentioned previously the best results come with using an app called EQU which is a parametric EQ and you can make a LOT of adjustments. I think it's a free app or cheap anyway. Downside is when you use EQU you can't skip tracks or pick music from PCM. It manages the music.
^ Yep. I've thought about loading up an old iPod and just keeping it in the glovebox, but not sure I want to support it and it doesn't provide Pandora or, for that matter, FM—while EQU is interesting but forces that interface…which is what I hate about our Sonos system in the kitchen.

The right product is either a way to hack PCM into having an EQ screen (if APR can do it for the engine…) or an inline EQ that can affect the signal between PCM and the amp. I'd buy either in a heartbeat—particularly if the user interface was good.
Old 03-29-2021, 02:06 PM
dannyss
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 79 Posts

I used a lot of Spotify in the car last summer.
I found out this winter that Spotify as an EQ built in. So next time i'm using the car i'll play around with the EQ.
Old 03-29-2021, 02:26 PM
F355bob
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
^ Yep. I've thought about loading up an old iPod and just keeping it in the glovebox, but not sure I want to support it and it doesn't provide Pandora or, for that matter, FM—while EQU is interesting but forces that interface…which is what I hate about our Sonos system in the kitchen.

The right product is either a way to hack PCM into having an EQ screen (if APR can do it for the engine…) or an inline EQ that can affect the signal between PCM and the amp. I'd buy either in a heartbeat—particularly if the user interface was good.
I just downloaded all my ipod music on a stick and plugged it into the glovebox port and play my music which sounds pretty good with the Bose. I then downloaded them into the juxbox.
Old 03-29-2021, 03:28 PM
Schorsch
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by usccharles
so clearly different firmware.
FW 4.76 on 991.1 - most current? - and no red ribbon no nothing. Unfortunately.
Sidenote: Listened to some bad *** tunes on my Bose: Killing in the name of…Rage…full blast…pretty descent output and recognition to my ears.
Maybe my ears are old and destroyed from all the concerts in my youth!?

Last edited by Schorsch; 03-29-2021 at 03:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Don’t scrap the Bose before you adjust the settings!