Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mileage and buyers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2021, 12:33 PM
moto_geek
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Reliability could be the only thing really. It is quite a bit more exotic, I would check your car insurance rate and parts availability. Hate to see you switch and then have to park it because you can't get a part in this current supply issues. Just a thought.
Old 11-12-2021, 04:13 PM
Twozter
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Holy crap...I have 71K on my C2 which seems like a ton I guess...but it's a daily and even though I work from home I take it as many places as I can...but it is sleeping now. First snow just hit Northern IL and it is in the garage... I've always thought for cars it's good to get one that's been "used but not used up"...I guess you wear things out or they sit and deteriorate...either way they will always need some attention.
Old 11-12-2021, 05:10 PM
docskeet
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 87 Posts

2014 C2 Cab, I am owner #4. The first three owners put on 30,000 miles from 2014 to 2021. I’ve put another 6,000 miles on in six months. I plan to drive it a lot and maintain it properly. To each his/her own, I believe in using what I have.
The following users liked this post:
Dgags (11-12-2021)
Old 11-12-2021, 06:45 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 383 Likes on 223 Posts

I'll give you a low mileage story. I have a 2017 C2S (ordered new with every option I wanted) that still has less than a thousand miles on it. I bought it to drive it but alas. We've had four deaths in the family, I retired so I don't drive it to work and my wife wants to take the kitchen sink everywhere she goes. And then covid. Yet I bought a new Cayenne Turbo three months ago that has over 5,000 miles on it as of today. I had take it to North Carolina and Florida for deaths in the family while the C2S sat in the garage for months.

I guess my point is don't judge a low mileage car by it's colors. I wish I could drive mine more and hope to get the chance to do that. But I probably won't until next Spring.

And yep it's got a trickle charger on it. But the next guy is going to have to pry it of my cold dead fingers. I love that car.

Last edited by George from MD; 11-12-2021 at 06:49 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by George from MD:
jfischet (11-16-2021), subwoofer (11-12-2021)
Old 11-12-2021, 06:55 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 508 Likes on 331 Posts

I have 21k miles on my 2018 C4S after 4 plus years of ownership. It is my only car although I do have oocasional access to my wife's car. I am retired so average 5k miles a year from mostly aimless driving for recreation. It seems like the average for this type of car but others drive it much more. I don't like long highway drives in mine so the miles don't accumulate. Seems like typical usage. So used 911s don't end up having a lot of miles on them from what I can tell.
George from MD (11-12-2021)
Old 11-12-2021, 07:04 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 182 Posts

My C2 is a weekend car, driven only 12K miles since March 2017. Since it's a manual transmission, if traffic is heavy, another car will be used. It is stored for the winter, as I just don't need it and won't risk an icy incident. If my trips are too short, I hate to use it as I like to make sure it stays lit and fully warms for each use. However, 90% percent of the driven miles are fun trips where the 911 is perfect. If there was more time for fun trips and coffee runs, it would have more miles. Not saving it for anybody but myself.
George from MD (11-12-2021)
Old 11-12-2021, 07:21 PM
harlandoc
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I never understood NOT driving these cars if you're lucky enough to have one. I have a 2018 Targa 4 GTS and it's my daily driver in the northeast. The only time I don't use it is if there's snow and/or ice. Storing the car in the winter makes no sense to me either. I find that even in the harsh northeast winters, I can still use it 95% of the time. And unless it's raining, the top is always down, even in winter. This discussion reminds me of people who buy expensive watches and store them in a safe, not on their wrists.
Old 11-12-2021, 07:29 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Originally Posted by harlandoc
I never understood NOT driving these cars if you're lucky enough to have one. I have a 2018 Targa 4 GTS and it's my daily driver in the northeast. The only time I don't use it is if there's snow and/or ice. Storing the car in the winter makes no sense to me either. I find that even in the harsh northeast winters, I can still use it 95% of the time. And unless it's raining, the top is always down, even in winter. This discussion reminds me of people who buy expensive watches and store them in a safe, not on their wrists.
I really don't think you get it. Everyone's circumstances are different.
Old 11-12-2021, 07:51 PM
harlandoc
Advanced

Originally Posted by George from MD
Yes, I understand that. I'm not opposed to low mileage. However, I cannot comprehend anyone intentionally limiting use of the car so as not to add more miles. And storing it for half a year is wasting driving opportunities, in my opinion. That's analogous to buying a high-end watch and putting it in a bank safe for half the year. Makes no sense to me.
Old 11-12-2021, 08:30 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Understood. But I bet most people don't chose not to drive their cars; maybe a few do. Yet I suspect they are few and far between; it's not like a 991 is a Miura or a 250 GTO.

Last edited by George from MD; 11-12-2021 at 08:40 PM.
Old 11-13-2021, 08:54 AM
jimmiejam
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 73 Posts

I enjoy nice things and I'm not wealthy. My 2012.5 C2S cab has 13.6K on it. My 2016 C7 vert has 1,229 miles on it. So, as you can guess I'm not a big driver these days. It has always amused me that anyone would judge someone because they "don't drive enough", "they drive too much", "why buy it and not drive it", "why save it for the next guy", ETC. ETC. ETC....Everyone enjoys their stuff in different ways so, who cares? Not me.....
Old 11-13-2021, 09:27 AM
Twozter
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by George from MD
This. I live in an area that can get pretty icy, and I have a long driveway with a decent incline, so I can and have gotten caught not being able to get the car back up to the garage. And, there is no place to park it on the street overnight. I also have four garage stalls, so I can store the 911 at home and have room for another car to use if my wife has her SUV out. It was worth it to spend a little $$ on a decent winter car that I can use when it’s snowy out and save the 911 from the salt and brine that Chicago throws down. I drove Miatas for years on Blizzaks here in Chicago as a youngster so it just depends on circumstances IMHO. To each his own! 😁
George from MD (11-13-2021)
Old 11-13-2021, 09:57 AM
harlandoc
Advanced

Originally Posted by jimmiejam
I enjoy nice things and I'm not wealthy. My 2012.5 C2S cab has 13.6K on it. My 2016 C7 vert has 1,229 miles on it. So, as you can guess I'm not a big driver these days. It has always amused me that anyone would judge someone because they "don't drive enough", "they drive too much", "why buy it and not drive it", "why save it for the next guy", ETC. ETC. ETC....Everyone enjoys their stuff in different ways so, who cares? Not me.....
The whole point of a "discussion board" is to discuss interesting topics. With your position, it would just be called a "board."

Last edited by harlandoc; 11-13-2021 at 10:03 AM.
Dgags (11-13-2021)
Old 11-13-2021, 10:03 AM
harlandoc
Advanced

Originally Posted by Twozter
This. I live in an area that can get pretty icy, and I have a long driveway with a decent incline, so I can and have gotten caught not being able to get the car back up to the garage. And, there is no place to park it on the street overnight. I also have four garage stalls, so I can store the 911 at home and have room for another car to use if my wife has her SUV out. It was worth it to spend a little $$ on a decent winter car that I can use when it’s snowy out and save the 911 from the salt and brine that Chicago throws down. I drove Miatas for years on Blizzaks here in Chicago as a youngster so it just depends on circumstances IMHO. To each his own! 😁
Agree. I don't drive mine if there is any possibility of icy roads (or driveway). But at least where I live in the northeast, most of the time in winter, the roads are fine, even if there is snow on the grass. I couldn't imagine storing my car for 6 months because there "might" be ice and snow on a few days. It's a matter of life perspective. In my opinion, life is short, so enjoy it while you can and without worrying about miles or street salt. For me, that worry would reflect misplace priorities. And yes, THIS IS JUST MY OPINION.
The following 2 users liked this post by harlandoc:
George from MD (11-13-2021), NI3 (11-16-2021)
Old 11-15-2021, 06:25 PM
RCD
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

When Bruce Anderson was still alive and publishing his regular 911 buyer's guide articles, he usually said that 5k-7k miles driven per year was the sweet spot for a buyer, as it is an annual mileage that indicates a car was driven enough to avoid the types of issues that arise from sitting too much, but not enough to be considered "high mileage".

That guidance was given for pre-991 models (he died in 2013), but I believe the principle still holds.
The following 2 users liked this post by RCD:
afk (11-16-2021), subwoofer (11-15-2021)

Quick Reply: mileage and buyers?