Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Essex AP Rotors + Giro Disc Stud Kit - Installed

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2021, 06:02 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

Nice. Just confirming. You replaced the 350mm OEM front rotors with the same sized ones from Essex. Stock 6 piston calipers.

Then in the back, you did 350mm on the stock 4 piston calipers with spacers?
The following users liked this post:
LWG (02-19-2021)
Old 02-19-2021, 06:13 PM
LWG
Burning Brakes

Received 638 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by ClassJ
Nice. Just confirming. You replaced the 350mm OEM front rotors with the same sized ones from Essex. Stock 6 piston calipers.

Then in the back, you did 350mm on the stock 4 piston calipers with spacers?
Yes, you are correct. I dont know why I thought the front was 330mm stock, looks like it is 350mm on the S brakes.
Old 02-19-2021, 06:16 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by LWG
Only the rear AP Racing rotors required a spacer on my .2 GTS, and I can see why. The pads and caliper would have been touching the rear hat on the new rotor. Wouldnt have fit.

On the fronts they were good as is. I was assuming both needed spacers or possibly just the rear. However after getting it and reviewing it, it all makes sense. Just the rear needed spacers and only rear needed longer studs.
Yup, I get no spacer for the front since you are already running 350mm discs there. @JRitt@essex can you confirm the size spacer required for the rear? @LWG has a smaller gap than I do and we have exactly the same calipers, except his caliper color in red is a bit faster than mine in slow black.

I'll have to dig into the stud kit - I was sold the same length all the way around and you were not. Given we have the exact same discs I would think we should also have the same studs length unless the caliper up front makes it different for you (bigger). I will have to dig into that.
Old 02-19-2021, 09:05 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 652 Likes on 365 Posts

I’ll take a look when we are back in the office on Monday.
Red is definitely always faster! 😂
Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

Old 02-28-2021, 10:43 AM
LWG
Burning Brakes

Received 638 Likes on 236 Posts

I have removed the rotor shields. thanks for the recommendation and help Jeff. Any concerns with extra heat now getting to the sensors or bushings?

JRitt@essex (03-01-2021)
Old 02-28-2021, 10:46 AM
rugu6869
Burning Brakes

Received 461 Likes on 298 Posts

^ With the better designed two-piece rotors, I'm sure the cooling will be much better than stock.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:00 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by LWG
I have removed the rotor shields. thanks for the recommendation and help Jeff. Any concerns with extra heat now getting to the sensors or bush
Nice! That should help even out and lengthen your pad and disc wear.

Some people cover their ball joints and sensors with a heat barrier product. On my Corvette I had little shields made from a heat barrier product we offer called Teknofibra: https://www.essexparts.com/teknofibr...hermal-barrier
You can literally hold your hand on one side of this stuff, and a blow torch on the other, and not feel it. That may be a bit overkill for your needs though. As rugu6869 notes, your AP Racing discs are going to run considerably cooler than the OEM discs, and will put a lot less heat into the neighboring components.
Old 03-28-2021, 09:35 PM
mic_crispy
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 163 Posts

@JRitt@essex

Quick question, I had this kit installed today and we didn't need the calipers spacers on the front (plenty of clearance without, and with we had wayyy too much clearance between hat and pad with).

991.1, so my oem dics are 340mm.
Is this okay/normal?
I ended up running GT3 pads, so maybe this effected things in some way?
Pic for reference.

Last edited by mic_crispy; 03-29-2021 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-28-2021, 10:22 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by mic_crispy
@JRitt@essex

Quick question, I installed this kit today and we didn't need the calipers spacers on the front (plenty of clearance without, and with we had wayyy too much clearance between hat and pad with).

Is this okay/normal?
Pic for reference.
Not related to your question but did you scrub the rotors with a scrub pad and soap prior to install? If not, you may have some real trouble stopping. Just looks like the protective coating is still on in your pick.

Looks great, BTW.
Old 03-28-2021, 10:23 PM
mic_crispy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wujohn
Not related to your question but did you scrub the rotors with a scrub pad and soap prior to install? If not, you may have some real trouble stopping. Just looks like the protective coating is still on in your pick.

Looks great, BTW.
I'll ask my mechanic. Wasn't around for the install, but it stops great right now.

Last edited by mic_crispy; 03-28-2021 at 10:24 PM.
Old 03-29-2021, 08:46 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,233 Likes on 724 Posts

@JRitt@essex

Quick question, I installed this kit today and we didn't need the calipers spacers on the front (plenty of clearance without, and with we had wayyy too much clearance between hat and pad with).

Is this okay/normal?
Pic for reference.
What size spacer did they include with your front kit? 12mm? 6mm? Maybe the hat is smaller diameter therefore no spacer needed? Is 991.2 caliper different than 991.1? I know .2 comes with 10mm larger rotor.
Old 03-29-2021, 08:52 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

@JRitt@essex

Is this okay/normal?
Pic for reference.
First, thanks for the purchase! The pic looks like things are situated properly radially. As long as the discs are centered in the caliper, and the pads are running close to the outer edge of the disc without too much overhang, or without sitting inboard too far, it won't cause any problems. If your caliper is sitting in too far however, the edge of the disc can get into the bottom of the caliper body in the area we call the caliper's disc pathway. Can you please shoot me a pic from the top of the caliper showing how the pad is sitting relative to the outer edge of the disc? Also, what year and trim level is your car?

Wujohn is correct on washing the discs. They are stored in oiled paper to prevent rust. The witness marks from that paper are on the disc in the pic. Your mechanic may have wiped them down after install.
Old 03-29-2021, 08:57 AM
mic_crispy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
What size spacer did they include with your front kit? 12mm? 6mm? Maybe the hat is smaller diameter therefore no spacer needed? Is 991.2 caliper different than 991.1? I know .2 comes with 10mm larger rotor.
I believe its a 10mm spacer?
991.1 (S/GTS) Has 340mm Front Rotor, 991.2 has 350mm front (S/GTS).

With the 10mm spacer(CORRECTION, 6mm), the pad was hanging over the rotor on the outside.

Last edited by mic_crispy; 03-29-2021 at 11:03 AM.
AdamSanta85 (03-29-2021)
Old 03-29-2021, 08:58 AM
mic_crispy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JRitt@essex
First, thanks for the purchase! The pic looks like things are situated properly radially. As long as the discs are centered in the caliper, and the pads are running close to the outer edge of the disc without too much overhang, or without sitting inboard too far, it won't cause any problems. If your caliper is sitting in too far however, the edge of the disc can get into the bottom of the caliper body in the area we call the caliper's disc pathway. Can you please shoot me a pic from the top of the caliper showing how the pad is sitting relative to the outer edge of the disc? Also, what year and trim level is your car?

Wujohn is correct on washing the discs. They are stored in oiled paper to prevent rust. The witness marks from that paper are on the disc in the pic. Your mechanic may have wiped them down after install.
Ill try to get this pic asap, but wheels are back on so its hard. It does brake correctly though so i figured it either works or it doesnt? Or maybe its an issue when the brakes expand?
With the spacer, my pad was above the rotor so we figured that was not ideal.

Its a 991.1 Carrera S.

Last edited by mic_crispy; 03-29-2021 at 09:03 AM.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:05 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,233 Likes on 724 Posts

I believe its a 10mm spacer?
991.1 (S/GTS) Has 340mm Front Rotor, 991.2 has 350mm front (S/GTS).

With the 10mm spacer, the pad was hanging over the rotor on the outside.
Thanks.

I was thinking 5-6mm spacer since 10mm increase/2 due to diameter.

Quick Reply: Essex AP Rotors + Giro Disc Stud Kit - Installed