Sponsored by:

Essex AP Rotors + Giro Disc Stud Kit - Installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2021 | 11:03 AM
mic_crispy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
Thanks.

I was thinking 5-6mm spacer since 10mm increase/2 due to diameter.
Im wrong youre right, its a 6mm spacer.
The following users liked this post:
AdamSanta85 (03-29-2021)
Old 03-29-2021 | 11:11 AM
mic_crispy
Rennlist Member

Quick update, spoke to Ryan @ Essex just now and sent a few more pics. Fitment looks fine. Ill try to get more pics of the top if i have a chance to take my wheels off... but for now, its working great.
We are thinking that due to me running the GT3 Front pads, spacers are not needed.
I also noticed a few threads where users running the 350/350 GiroDisc kit didn't run front spacers as well due to a revision with smaller hats?

Side-note, but this is exactly why i buy products from companies like Essex. Not just a quality product, but quick and knowledgeable responses.
I was actually all set to try that RB380/380 kit, but they couldn't be bothered to give simple feedback to real questions on their thread.

Anyway, heres some pics of the swept area after some hard driving/stops. Looks good to me.

@Wujohn Looking back at pics, im not so sure we washed these... but afew hard stops took care of that, i guess lol.

Last edited by mic_crispy; 03-29-2021 at 11:14 AM.
AdamSanta85 (03-29-2021)
Old 03-29-2021 | 07:08 PM
ChaosHokie
Advanced

Wow this thread is super timely, I was thinking about upgrading brakes after track this weekend.

Noob question about this setup though: does this setup make swapping pads/rotors faster? I'm really asking because I only do HPDE ~5 times per year, and swapping pads/rotors for the track seems like a big PITA. Or is the bigger front rotors + GT3 pads + girodisc style setup significantly better year around? I have a 991.1C2S if that helps.

Sorry, follow-up question: do 19" wheels fit with the bigger front rotors?
Old 03-29-2021 | 07:47 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ChaosHokie
Wow this thread is super timely, I was thinking about upgrading brakes after track this weekend.

Noob question about this setup though: does this setup make swapping pads/rotors faster? I'm really asking because I only do HPDE ~5 times per year, and swapping pads/rotors for the track seems like a big PITA. Or is the bigger front rotors + GT3 pads + girodisc style setup significantly better year around? I have a 991.1C2S if that helps.

Yes, get caliper stud kit (Girodisc ones are nice) and the bracket stud kit (Tarret sells these) . The 350mm rotors will fit 19" stock wheels for sure (I use 19's) but the rotors have no bearing on making changes easier.

Last edited by Wujohn; 03-29-2021 at 07:48 PM.
ChaosHokie (03-29-2021)
Old 03-30-2021 | 08:27 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mic_crispy
Quick update, spoke to Ryan @ Essex just now and sent a few more pics. Fitment looks fine. Ill try to get more pics of the top if i have a chance to take my wheels off... but for now, its working great.
We are thinking that due to me running the GT3 Front pads, spacers are not needed.
I also noticed a few threads where users running the 350/350 GiroDisc kit didn't run front spacers as well due to a revision with smaller hats?

Side-note, but this is exactly why i buy products from companies like Essex. Not just a quality product, but quick and knowledgeable responses.
I was actually all set to try that RB380/380 kit, but they couldn't be bothered to give simple feedback to real questions on their thread.

Anyway, heres some pics of the swept area after some hard driving/stops. Looks good to me.

@Wujohn Looking back at pics, im not so sure we washed these... but afew hard stops took care of that, i guess lol.
Sorry I missed you yesterday, and I'm glad Ryan could have a chat. Yes, your discs are looking good. Thanks for your continued support, and I hope you enjoy the discs once you get them out and pound on them a bit!
Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

Old 03-30-2021 | 09:00 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ChaosHokie

ChaosHokie
There are two different ways to potentially make swapping pads and discs easier/faster:

Method 1
Purchase the AP Racing by Essex 2-piece discs, a caliper stud kit (Tarett Engineering and Girodisc both make kits), and the brake line bracket stud kit by Tarett. We (Essex) also offer a Spiegler stainless steel brake line kit that tends to make things a bit easier and more maneuverable. For the discs, you just need to enter your year, make, and model on our website, and it will tell you which discs are appropriate for your car (you didn't list if you had a 991.1 or .2 and your trim level). You can search for your car here at the top of the page:
https://www.essexparts.com/
The reason we need to know the specific details on your car is because our front AP Racing by Essex 2-piece discs include a set of spacers if your front OEM disc is smaller than 350mm. That little spacer will push your calipers out to the proper location to accommodate the 350mm disc. If you have a 991.2 that came with a 350mm front disc, you won't need a spacer, as the caliper is already sitting in the proper location to accept our 350mm discs.

The installation of these parts will make swapping pads and discs easier, because the caliper will no longer be bolted to the upright. Instead, the caliper will now slide down onto the studs and rest there. The flexible SS lines and the brake line bracket kit will allow you to unbolt the caliper and move it out of the way without disconnecting the brake lines/opening your hydraulic system. That means you don't have to bleed the brakes and get really messy.

Method 2
The other method is to go with a complete AP Racing by Essex brake kit solution. It sounds like you're not tracking your car as much as some of our clients, so you may not feel this is justified. Then again, some of our customers just buy them because they look incredible. The way our complete brake kits simplify the pad change process is via the calipers. The AP Racing calipers we use don't have a fixed bridge on top, so you don't need to remove the entire caliper to change pads. You simply remove a couple pieces of hardware in the caliper bridge, and the pads drop right in. The calipers sit on studs, and the brake lines are flexible. That means when you go to swap discs, you can just hang the caliper from a bungy cord...you don't have to disconnect the brake lines and make a giant mess, bleed the brakes, etc.

Our complete brake kits are the ultimate in convenience, but they are considerably more expensive than the 2-piece disc route if you do all four corners of your car. What some people do is go with our front complete brake kit (since that is where you tend to be swapping pads, discs, etc. more often), and run our 2-piece J Hook discs in the rear with the OEM calipers and a good set of pads.

Regardless, please let us know how we can help. As noted by mic_crispy above, we have 20+ knowledgeable staff fully dedicated to brakes. We always have a live human answer the phone during business hours. Our warehouse in Charlotte, NC is stacked full of discs, pads, fluid, lines, etc., and we can typically get an order out and on the way to you the same or next day. You can chat with someone on our website, email us, or call 704-824- six zero three zero for assistance. Anyone who answers the phone can help you or will find someone who can. We are also long-time Rennlist sponsors who are dedicated to helping the Porsche community with their brakes.

Thanks for your consideration.

Here's a short video that shows how simple it is to change pads on one of our AP Racing by Essex Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits. No need to remove the caliper...just take off the wheel and pop the pads out...super simple:

Here are what our complete brake kits look like installed:

Road Kit (this one will need a custom 19" wheel like a Forgeline to fit)

Competition Kit (this one will fit inside wheels as small as 18")

Old 03-30-2021 | 11:00 AM
fsmich
Rennlist Member

Jeff, is Essex the U.S. distributor for Ferodo brake pads? If so, what's going on with the huge price increase for 3.12/1.11 Carrera rear pads? $542 (+$120).
You are pricing yourself out of the market. I can get front AND rear endless ME20's from Japan for $650.
Old 03-30-2021 | 11:11 AM
markk222
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fsmich
Jeff, is Essex the U.S. distributor for Ferodo brake pads? If so, what's going on with the huge price increase for 3.12/1.11 Carrera rear pads? $542 (+$120).
You are pricing yourself out of the market. I can get front AND rear endless ME20's from Japan for $650.
You can get Ferodo pads from fcpeuro.com They carry them with a lifetime replacement.
Old 03-30-2021 | 11:28 AM
fsmich
Rennlist Member

They only offer the 2500's
Old 03-30-2021 | 01:08 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fsmich
https://www.essexparts.com/brake-pads/ferodo-brake-pads
"Essex is the exclusive North American importer and distributor of Ferodo Racing Brake Pads. We have been working with and recommending Ferodo Racing products for over a decade now, and we have weekly shipments of their pads arriving from Italy. Below are our general pad compound recommendations. However, please don't hesitate to ask for our recommendation for your specific usage environment. That's why we're here!"
Appears to be. Agreed on pricing, $769 for a set of even just DS2500's is just too much.

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 03-30-2021 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-30-2021 | 02:30 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I hear you loud and clear on the Ferodo prices gents. We've been hit with two price increases over the past two consecutive years, we've been generally facing a rising Euro, and international shipping charges are through the roof since the beginning of COVID. We ate the price increase for well over a year, but couldn't sustain doing so any longer. Prices fluctuated wildly on some of the Porsche shapes. I'm going to work on picking out the ones that have swung the most in the wrong direction and getting them sorted out with Ferodo. Please don't give up on us/them. I'll do everything I can to help. Thanks.
The following 2 users liked this post by JRitt@essex:
AdamSanta85 (03-30-2021), fsmich (03-30-2021)
Old 03-07-2023 | 12:17 AM
donR
Pro

Just asked this question elsewhere but this thread looks relevant. I am considering the Essex Ap Racing 350mm J-hook rotor upgrade.
What was the verdict on using the larger GT3 front pad on this rotor in preference to the smaller 991 pad which I believe has a smaller radius? Looks like it does work above but wondering what front and rear size pad Essex actually recommends to run with these rotors?
Old 03-07-2023 | 06:57 AM
blackcheetah
Rennlist Member

I went with AP 372mm disk ,6 piston calipers with 3.12 brake pads very satisfied

JRitt@essex (03-07-2023)

Quick Reply: Essex AP Rotors + Giro Disc Stud Kit - Installed