Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory Brake Compatibility. Carrera T

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2021 | 11:55 AM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Default Factory Brake Compatibility. Carrera T

The 991.2 T brakes have been honestly fine on my car but the size is a bit small visually. Still on the fence but am keeping my eye open for parts.

I have read a lot of threads on this topic but am still a bit confused for the 991.2. I know there are aftermarket solutions out there. I just like factory options.

I am clear on the upgrade path to 991.2 S front rotors and calipers. The rear brakes seem to be identical other than caliper color. Whether this upgrade is even worth doing is TBD.

For 380mm. I have seen people swap over the 991.2 Turbo calipers, pads, backing plates, rotors. Is this a 1 for 1 swap?

Do GT3 or GT3 RS calipers/rotors bolt onto the Carrera?
Old 02-17-2021 | 12:03 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Never mind....

Last edited by shammerman; 02-17-2021 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-17-2021 | 02:41 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Yes, you can take any 991 brake system and install it on any other 991.

To make it look "pretty" just buy one of the PCCB kits out there, it will fill up the wheel wells.
Should only set you back around $17000, but it will look sweet!
Old 02-17-2021 | 02:46 PM
Zylinderkopfdichtung
Rennlist Member

I’m considering upgraded front brakes as well. I’m a fan of the T’s ethos and keeping in lightweight is paramount to me, especially unsprung weight.

Am I right in thinking that all factory, non-PCCB brake options are heavier than base brakes and will increase unsprung weight?
Old 02-17-2021 | 03:00 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by I-Man
I’m considering upgraded front brakes as well. I’m a fan of the T’s ethos and keeping in lightweight is paramount to me, especially unsprung weight.

Am I right in thinking that all factory, non-PCCB brake options are heavier than base brakes and will increase unsprung weight?
It's a hardened steel disk, YES, bigger is going to weigh more. So do the bigger calipers and pads. Usually you don't upgrade brakes to save weight, it's to add braking and thermal capacity.

This is not about that, it's about making the car look better. Big brakes are a very expensive option for adding bling.
The following users liked this post:
ducktails (02-17-2021)
Old 02-17-2021 | 03:01 PM
ducktails
Racer

PCCB is the only option that I wish I had gotten on my T* - every now and again, I'll get the idea to look up the cost to make a swap using factory equipment and then realize the stock brakes aren't that bad after all

* As a side note - coming from a GT4 with monster brakes to a T with the little stock ones, I had less confidence in the T's stock steel brakes and pads at first. Although I've been 'informed' that these are more than adequate, I would assume there is definitely a difference in braking feel and initial bite if not better thermal performance and endurance over an extended session of hard back-road driving. Aware that for regularly used track car, steels with upgraded pads and fluid are best, but my T hasn't 'graduated' into being my DE rat just yet!

Last edited by ducktails; 02-17-2021 at 03:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Zylinderkopfdichtung (02-17-2021)
Old 02-17-2021 | 03:03 PM
ottodawg
Rennlist Member

Brake size envy, now I've heard it all... 😁

Last edited by ottodawg; 02-17-2021 at 05:52 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ottodawg:
Carlo_Carrera (02-17-2021), rensoyka (03-06-2024)
Old 02-17-2021 | 05:37 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Thanks but is this verified through personal experience?

The 380mm turbo and GT3 rotors and calipers are different part numbers I believe.

i know it sounds silly but the T brakes feel fine but just are smaller by 1 or 2” compared to other cars I own. It is literally the only downside of the car.
Old 02-17-2021 | 06:05 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

I was told before and I think you can find doing a search, Turbo will fit, GT brakes will not because the mounting hardware or locations I think are slightly different. I also have a T and was considering upgrading.
Old 02-17-2021 | 06:13 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mile2424
I was told before and I think you can find doing a search, Turbo will fit, GT brakes will not because the mounting hardware or locations I think are slightly different. I also have a T and was considering upgrading.
I am pretty sure that’s true for the GT calipers. Don’t think they are compatible but I have heard the opposite.

The Turbo steel 380mm setup is what I am thinking could work. Another RL member had them installed on his T but did not have details for part numbers etc from the shop.

He also had 5mm spacers but it was not clear if those are needed for caliper clearance or not.

The 350mm S/GTS brakes are nice but if I have to buy 4 calipers (assuming I don’t want to paint rears on car) and bleed brakes anyway.......
Old 02-17-2021 | 07:36 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
Not really. The rotor/caliper/upright/wheel carrier systems are different for some of the AWD models

Last edited by Carlo_Carrera; 02-17-2021 at 07:37 PM.
Old 02-18-2021 | 12:25 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ClassJ
Thanks but is this verified through personal experience?

The 380mm turbo and GT3 rotors and calipers are different part numbers I believe.

i know it sounds silly but the T brakes feel fine but just are smaller by 1 or 2” compared to other cars I own. It is literally the only downside of the car.
It's been verified, just do a search. People are swapping brakes from turbo's to GT3's and going from Ceramic to steel. Also steel people are getting the bigger PCCB disk in steel with an adapter. The calipers are all the same, they are not specific to the car model. The rotors are the same between 5lug and center lock.
Old 02-18-2021 | 12:29 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

It's winter. there's more looking than driving going on these days which accounts for "upgrade fever."
The following 2 users liked this post by rnl:
Sarawnty (02-18-2021), Viper pilot (02-22-2021)
Old 02-18-2021 | 02:52 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rnl
It's winter. there's more looking than driving going on these days which accounts for "upgrade fever."
Haha yes for sure. With that brake upgrades have been on my list since day 1. If Porsche would have offered S brakes as $3-5K upgrade I would have checked the box. I may have done PCCB.if black calipers were offered back then as they are now on the 992. I am not a big fan of red cars with yellow calipers (other than Ferrari). I actually think the grayish/black ones are the car look great.

I am going to think about the Turbo vs S brake update in the future. Appreciate the feedback from everyone.
Old 02-18-2021 | 05:46 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The problem with trying to bolt the OEM brake components from one trim level onto a different trim level is that the brakes were never intended to be interchangeable. The brake system for each trim level is spec'd specifically for the goals of that trim, or for trim levels that are very similar (a good example would be S/GTS). On the 991 chassis, the front brakes range from a rather small 4 piston/330mm disc all the way up to a 6 piston/410mm disc. That is a huge range. The brakes are also developed concurrently with other systems such as the suspension, and the demands that will be placed on the brakes vary wildly by trim level. A 991.2 can range from 367HP to 580HP. Curb weights range from 3,175 lbs. to 3,600 lbs. You're also looking at different tire sizes, different aero packages, 5 lug vs. center lock, AWD vs. RWD, and the GT cars have different spindles than the non-GT cars. A base 911 is a very different car than a GT2RS.

Over the past 20 years of working in the aftermarket brake business I've seen more Frankenstein brake setups than I can count. Most of those setups begin with someone finding a 'great deal' on a used set of calipers. The owner ends up spending the next nine months, a great deal of money, and plenty of energy trying to make all the pieces play together nicely on the car. In the vast majority of the cases they fail. Even if they get the parts physically on the car, the quality of the adaptations never approach OE level. The piston sizes are usually incorrect, the front brakes output too much torque, pedal feel suffers, ABS doesn't work properly, stopping distances are lengthened, etc. If they don't go through the entire process on their own, they employ dabblers to adapt the components to their car: "I know a guy who can make me some caliper adapters and disc hats." The quality of those parts is always suspect, the dimensions and tolerances are inconsistent, spares are not available when something goes wrong or breaks, their supplier moves out of his mom's basement, etc. The owner almost never ends up with the brake setup they really wanted, nor do they save any money vs. going with a fully sorted solution. I've watched this happen over, and over, and over again. I've seen M3 owners trying to leverage Mercedes AMG calipers imported from Bulgaria, Subaru BRZ owners trying to apply Nissan calipers they found in Taiwan, and many non-GT 911 owners trying to use brake components that were never designed to integrate seamlessly on their car.

The above situation is completely avoidable with a properly designed aftermarket setup, and we offer thoroughly sorted solutions for this very reason. A properly designed aftermarket setup will work better, cost less, and save a tremendous amount of time and headaches. You order our setup and everything comes in one box. You don't have to run to the hardware store with the car in the air. You don't waste time chasing parts or trying to figure anything out. You bolt it on with basic hand tools. The parts fit precisely. The brakes look awesome, fill the wheels, and provide years of outstanding performance. You have support and spares at your fingertips when you need them. When you're done with them you sell them for thousands of dollars on the used market and move on. You also have your fresh OEM brakes on-hand to reinstall.

We understand that some owners are a bit timid about the aftermarket, and for good reason. The kluged together systems like I describe above are the reason for that apprehension. However, not all brake suppliers are even remotely the same. In our case, we're directly supplying brakes to the teams winning Le Mans, NASCAR Cup, etc. We're using the same grade of components and implementation techniques in our aftermarket components that we employ in those professional racing programs. Before you try to mix and match a pile of brake components that were never intended to work together harmoniously, consider hitting the easy button. You can see lots of comments on our blog from satisfied owners of a very wide range of vehicles (including many, many Porsches).
Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

Last edited by JRitt@essex; 02-18-2021 at 06:04 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by JRitt@essex:
dashanin (07-12-2021), manifold danger (02-22-2021), SilverSFR (03-07-2024)

Quick Reply: Factory Brake Compatibility. Carrera T