Sponsored by:

Factory Brake Compatibility. Carrera T

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2021 | 05:56 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I forgot to say...in our case, there's nothing shameful about having an AP Racing logo on your calipers instead of a Porsche one. The 911 RSR has won Le Mans and dominated endurance racing with AP Racing Radi-CAL brakes for the past several years.

Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

Last edited by JRitt@essex; 02-18-2021 at 06:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
dashanin (07-12-2021)
Old 02-18-2021 | 08:27 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Thank you. You guys make great hardware and if I was a track guy I would consider it. I have a development and prototyping firm myself and know the work that goes into these things.

For me, I am just an OEM kind of guy down to the drill pattern on the rotors unless I am building a truly modified car.

Last summer I did a full turbo brake conversion on my 944 with all OEM parts down to the last cad plated washer.

If I decide to do this conversion it will likely be the G/GTS setup or maybe the Turbo setup.

The S brakes are low risk. It can be done in an afternoon. It’s a factory configuration.

The turbo setup is less clear, and less factory, but certainly tempting. But more risk.

JRitt@essex (02-19-2021)
Old 02-19-2021 | 10:19 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ClassJ
Thank you. You guys make great hardware and if I was a track guy I would consider it. I have a development and prototyping firm myself and know the work that goes into these things.

For me, I am just an OEM kind of guy down to the drill pattern on the rotors unless I am building a truly modified car.

Last summer I did a full turbo brake conversion on my 944 with all OEM parts down to the last cad plated washer.

If I decide to do this conversion it will likely be the G/GTS setup or maybe the Turbo setup.

The S brakes are low risk. It can be done in an afternoon. It’s a factory configuration.

The turbo setup is less clear, and less factory, but certainly tempting. But more risk.
No worries and thank you. I'll keep you mind if I have any customers pulling an S or GTS setup that needs a new home.
dashanin (07-12-2021)
Old 02-19-2021 | 06:08 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Thank you. I was just looking at your rotor kits that work with factory calipers to see what is offered.

So it seems like 350mm in the front is offered with caliper spacers. Is the rotor pad contact width wider on the 350mm factory S 6 piston setup? I recall the S rotors had a taller pad.
Old 02-22-2021 | 11:46 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ClassJ
Thank you. I was just looking at your rotor kits that work with factory calipers to see what is offered.

So it seems like 350mm in the front is offered with caliper spacers. Is the rotor pad contact width wider on the 350mm factory S 6 piston setup? I recall the S rotors had a taller pad.
The Carrera T comes with the base level brake package, which means the calipers, pads, and discs are all smaller on both ends of the car vs. a Carrera S or GTS. When installing our 350mm front disc package, you will need to use a spacer to accommodate our larger discs, which is something we include with the discs. Everything you need is in the box. The spacer pushes the caliper out about 10mm (when a disc goes up 20mm in size, its radius only increases 10mm).

In terms of 'rotor pad contact', we call that the radial depth of the disc or pad. Yes, the S/GTS trim levels have a pad and disc with a taller radial depth. In other words, the distance from the outer edge of the disc to the inner edge of the disc is greater than it is on the base/T brake package.

The Carrera S/GTS come with a 350mm disc from the factory, which is the same size as our disc. They therefore do not have to install a caliper spacer, as their caliper stays in the same location when swapping to our discs.
dashanin (07-12-2021)
Old 02-22-2021 | 04:40 PM
Vrrooom
Advanced

Can you link the 350mm upgrade for the Carrera T? And what do replacement rings go for?
Old 02-22-2021 | 04:46 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Vrrooom
Can you link the 350mm upgrade for the Carrera T? And what do replacement rings go for?
Here is our full menu of parts for the Carrera T: https://www.essexparts.com/my-vehicl...0T/Iron%20disc

Here are the front and rear discs, along with spare rings.
Front disc pair= https://www.essexparts.com/essex-des...-replace-330mm
Front spare iron ($349 per disc)= https://www.essexparts.com/ap-racing...-rings-35034rh

Rear disc pair= https://www.essexparts.com/essex-des...air-35028-rear
Rear spare iron ($339 per disc)= https://www.essexparts.com/ap-racing...-rings-35028rh

dashanin (07-12-2021)
Old 02-22-2021 | 05:13 PM
Vrrooom
Advanced

Originally Posted by JRitt@essex
Here is our full menu of parts for the Carrera T: https://www.essexparts.com/my-vehicl...0T/Iron%20disc

Here are the front and rear discs, along with spare rings.
Front disc pair= https://www.essexparts.com/essex-des...-replace-330mm
Front spare iron ($349 per disc)= https://www.essexparts.com/ap-racing...-rings-35034rh

Rear disc pair= https://www.essexparts.com/essex-des...air-35028-rear
Rear spare iron ($339 per disc)= https://www.essexparts.com/ap-racing...-rings-35028rh
Thank you, this is very helpful for me, who has a hard time figuring out the proper parts for my application.
Old 03-06-2024 | 05:08 PM
Vernin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JRitt@essex
The problem with trying to bolt the OEM brake components from one trim level onto a different trim level is that the brakes were never intended to be interchangeable. The brake system for each trim level is spec'd specifically for the goals of that trim, or for trim levels that are very similar (a good example would be S/GTS). On the 991 chassis, the front brakes range from a rather small 4 piston/330mm disc all the way up to a 6 piston/410mm disc. That is a huge range. The brakes are also developed concurrently with other systems such as the suspension, and the demands that will be placed on the brakes vary wildly by trim level. A 991.2 can range from 367HP to 580HP. Curb weights range from 3,175 lbs. to 3,600 lbs. You're also looking at different tire sizes, different aero packages, 5 lug vs. center lock, AWD vs. RWD, and the GT cars have different spindles than the non-GT cars. A base 911 is a very different car than a GT2RS.

Over the past 20 years of working in the aftermarket brake business I've seen more Frankenstein brake setups than I can count. Most of those setups begin with someone finding a 'great deal' on a used set of calipers. The owner ends up spending the next nine months, a great deal of money, and plenty of energy trying to make all the pieces play together nicely on the car. In the vast majority of the cases they fail. Even if they get the parts physically on the car, the quality of the adaptations never approach OE level. The piston sizes are usually incorrect, the front brakes output too much torque, pedal feel suffers, ABS doesn't work properly, stopping distances are lengthened, etc. If they don't go through the entire process on their own, they employ dabblers to adapt the components to their car: "I know a guy who can make me some caliper adapters and disc hats." The quality of those parts is always suspect, the dimensions and tolerances are inconsistent, spares are not available when something goes wrong or breaks, their supplier moves out of his mom's basement, etc. The owner almost never ends up with the brake setup they really wanted, nor do they save any money vs. going with a fully sorted solution. I've watched this happen over, and over, and over again. I've seen M3 owners trying to leverage Mercedes AMG calipers imported from Bulgaria, Subaru BRZ owners trying to apply Nissan calipers they found in Taiwan, and many non-GT 911 owners trying to use brake components that were never designed to integrate seamlessly on their car.

The above situation is completely avoidable with a properly designed aftermarket setup, and we offer thoroughly sorted solutions for this very reason. A properly designed aftermarket setup will work better, cost less, and save a tremendous amount of time and headaches. You order our setup and everything comes in one box. You don't have to run to the hardware store with the car in the air. You don't waste time chasing parts or trying to figure anything out. You bolt it on with basic hand tools. The parts fit precisely. The brakes look awesome, fill the wheels, and provide years of outstanding performance. You have support and spares at your fingertips when you need them. When you're done with them you sell them for thousands of dollars on the used market and move on. You also have your fresh OEM brakes on-hand to reinstall.

We understand that some owners are a bit timid about the aftermarket, and for good reason. The kluged together systems like I describe above are the reason for that apprehension. However, not all brake suppliers are even remotely the same. In our case, we're directly supplying brakes to the teams winning Le Mans, NASCAR Cup, etc. We're using the same grade of components and implementation techniques in our aftermarket components that we employ in those professional racing programs. Before you try to mix and match a pile of brake components that were never intended to work together harmoniously, consider hitting the easy button. You can see lots of comments on our blog from satisfied owners of a very wide range of vehicles (including many, many Porsches).
My dad has been running Essex Ap Floating Rotors on his 996 GT3 for 20 years now with 35k miles just on the track. I trust your rotors to hold up. He has changed them only a handful of times.
Now I just purchaced a 992 2023 Carrera T. I would like to start preparing for upgrading my rotors. (Last track session I went through my stock pads and warped the rotors, even with having race brake fluid in)
then had to replace them with oem rotors to get home from the track but now I want to get Ap rotors and pads on my car, so that does not happen again.
I want to keep my calipers, but just change the rotors. Do you know what rotors I should get? For front and rear?
I also use 19 and 20 wheels in the winter then 20 and 21 in the summer for my summer rims and on my track rims

Last edited by Vernin; 03-06-2024 at 05:19 PM.
Old 03-06-2024 | 05:18 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Vernin
my dad has been running Essex Ap Floating Rotors on his 996 GT3 for 20 years now with 35k miles just on the track, so I trust your rotors to hold up. He has changed them only a handful of times. now I just got a 992 2023 Carrera T. I would like to start preparing for swapping my rotors. (Last track session I went through my stock pads and warped the rotors, even with having race brake fluid in. I then changed them with oem stuff but I want to get Ap rotors on my car. I want to keep my calipers, but just change the rotors. Do you know what rotors I should get? For front and rear?
That's fantastic! I'm glad the AP discs are holding up so well on your dad's car! Below are the discs for your car. Also of note, we're just about to release a complete brake upgrade guide article for your car within the next few days.

Front AP Racing by Essex J Hook Discs for 992 Carrera T
Rear AP Racing by Essex J Hook Discs for 992 Carrera T

If you need pads, fluid, and lines as well, we also offer those upgrades as a bundle at a discounted price (pic below). All other products for the 992 Carrera T (pads, fluid, SS brake lines, and complete brake kits): https://www.essexparts.com/my-vehicl...0T/Iron%20Disc

Feel free to shoot me a pm if you need guidance, or if you'd like to send your email and I'll send you that upgrade guide when we publish it. Thanks!

Essex Brake Bundle (AP Racing by Essex 2-piece J Hook Discs, Ferodo pads of your choice, Spiegler SS Brake Lines, and AP Racing R3 brake fluid):

Vernin (03-06-2024)

Quick Reply: Factory Brake Compatibility. Carrera T