Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rate my Deal | 2014 991.1 4S / 22K Miles / $74K?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2021, 11:05 AM
leroy105
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NF4710
The upgraded steering wheel really only matters if you care about shift paddles. From a cosmetic standpoint it’s actually a bit of an eyesore since the metal (?plastic) trim doesn’t match much else in the interior. The standard wheel is basically a 997.1 GT3 wheel so while not the sharpest looking it’s not the worst Porsche has done either. Neither option is as elegant as the 991.2 wheels.

NF
I agree; I prefer the 991.2 wheel all day long.
Old 02-17-2021, 11:08 AM
leroy105
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
Cabs always cost more new and depreciate faster. The targa is seeming oddly to have lower depreciation than coupes in recent years.
@Bud -- I'm coming from a view point of AutoTrader from 11/20 to 02/21 -- but the cab stock is really depleted relative to the coupe stock. (I've basically been shopping a cab in the middle of winter to try to get the best deal...).

I think is probably an anomaly too, but just go look for the best priced 991.1's on Autotrader as of today and you'll see what I am saying. I wasn't even planning on buying a 991.1 Cab until this Carmax deal popped up; there's just not much out there (lots of higher mile base cabs). I do wonder post stop-sale if a bunch of inventory floods the market and pushes down prices (which would suck on my timing), but who knows when this stop sale will be lifted and probably after the summer of 2021.

Last edited by leroy105; 02-17-2021 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-18-2021, 12:08 AM
My991
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by leroy105
@Bud -- I'm coming from a view point of AutoTrader from 11/20 to 02/21 -- but the cab stock is really depleted relative to the coupe stock. (I've basically been shopping a cab in the middle of winter to try to get the best deal...).

I think is probably an anomaly too, but just go look for the best priced 991.1's on Autotrader as of today and you'll see what I am saying. I wasn't even planning on buying a 991.1 Cab until this Carmax deal popped up; there's just not much out there (lots of higher mile base cabs). I do wonder post stop-sale if a bunch of inventory floods the market and pushes down prices (which would suck on my timing), but who knows when this stop sale will be lifted and probably after the summer of 2021.
Word is that the campaign will be resolved in the spring and just to add that when I was looking it was the cab w/PDK and not the coupe w/MT that I was searching for -au contraire 😂

Last edited by My991; 02-18-2021 at 12:09 AM.
Old 02-28-2021, 01:04 PM
leroy105
Advanced

*UPDATE* -- Car showed up to Carmax.... it's a bit rough. Couple "chips" in the driver seat on the edge, plastic trim on dash and panels is lightly scratched up, and there is a really funky perfume smell which may or not be the car cleaning material they used.

What a yuck moment at CarMax. They won't even clean up the car for us to really get a better idea. I've always hated CarMax and this proves the point.... These clowns wouldn't even let us take the car on a highway drive. Earth to CarMax... we aren't buying a Honda Accord today...

(I had a 2013 Boxster show up at the same time, and that car was in even worse shape. Tires are trashed, interior full of dirt and dust, dash totally sun damaged from being in TX).

I test drove 911 4S and it seems okay. It's been under CPO until the moment it got sold to CarMax. I have a local independent Porsche shop who I'd send the car through for PPI to be certain in the return period.

---

I'm assuming you could polish out the scratches in the plastic, fill in whatever little chips in the seat, and respray but the perfume smell has me most worried.

What you guys say? Bail on the car? I'm tempted to send it to an used car restorer (like the who the Porsche dealerships use around here) and let them clean up the car. At this point, I can walk away with the $1,000 shipping fee and it's not a big deal. Basically this feels like buying a 911 at an auction at this point...

I have to pay for the car in cash to go take it for a PPI & restore, plus I want the extended warranty -- I can easily see 8 hours of time spent fiddling around and signing documents, and then battling with CarMax to get my money back if the smells, interior repairs, or PPI don't check out.

[I took my wife for a drive in a 2011 Turbo S, cleaned up from the local P-Car dealer.... that's definently on the list now to just increase the budget. I understand now the NA vs. Turbo dispute. The 4S sounds light years ahead of the Turbo S. Also, the Turbo S I could literally kill myself driving at full speed. Never driven a car that fast! ].

Last edited by leroy105; 02-28-2021 at 01:08 PM.
Old 02-28-2021, 01:34 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 161 Posts

I think I would bail. Too much hassle. But that's just me.
Old 02-28-2021, 01:44 PM
leroy105
Advanced

Originally Posted by 911-TOUR
I think I would bail. Too much hassle. But that's just me.
I can't say ordering the 992 from the factory will all the options I want hasn't crossed my mind... There is such limited inventory of these 991s in the Midwest / Chicago, and it's very hard to travel around with COVID right now and go weekend shop these cars in CA. or FL. where most of these cabs are.

The exhaust note is absolutely glorious on the 991.1 4S I test drove CarMax. I get that argument now.
Old 02-28-2021, 02:08 PM
jimmiejam
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 75 Posts

It sounds like you should bail...listen, $1k is a lot of money but it's easy to spend $1k flying to, renting a car and the possibility of an overnight stay if you went to the car. Purchase the RIGHT car for you, this one does not sound like it. I was lucky enough to find mine 30 miles from my home and paid too much for it....BUT if I had to travel to inspect, etc and then ship the car - it's almost "even" out of pocket anyway. Good luck with what ever you decide....FWIW.
The following users liked this post:
leroy105 (02-28-2021)
Old 02-28-2021, 02:12 PM
leroy105
Advanced

Originally Posted by jimmiejam
It sounds like you should bail...listen, $1k is a lot of money but it's easy to spend $1k flying to, renting a car and the possibility of an overnight stay if you went to the car. Purchase the RIGHT car for you, this one does not sound like it. I was lucky enough to find mine 30 miles from my home and paid too much for it....BUT if I had to travel to inspect, etc and then ship the car - it's almost "even" out of pocket anyway. Good luck with what ever you decide....FWIW.
Yeah, I'm willing to toss the $1,000 shipping fee. I agree, go fly around, drive around to the airports, meals, hotel, etc... Maybe not quite a $1,000 but cost of time -- same difference.
The following users liked this post:
jimmiejam (02-28-2021)
Old 03-01-2021, 07:37 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 430 Likes on 307 Posts
Default For 74k

A pdk cab should be very nice. I would walk.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:07 AM
Gripster
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 73 Posts

That's too bad. I've actually had great luck with Carmax, but if the car isn't right then walk. (FWIW - Their return policy is solid, and the no questions asked thing is real, so I wouldn't worry about that if you are tempted.) However, with that said, I think that getting your first 911 should be a joyful experience and from your description it doesn't sound like this car will deliver that for you. The right one will show up soon enough - this is a mass produced car.
Old 03-01-2021, 01:29 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,991 Likes on 947 Posts

given that this is not a family minivan and you aren't spending $10k or more LESS than market (just a few reasons that would make me put up with what you have reported) I would run the other way.

You aren't buying a hard to find "numbered" car and if this one gets away you wont find another.. the hassle involved is too much for a fun/dream/toy car... the entire experience has to be peasant, wonderful, joyous and exciting.

I would say so far you haven't experienced much of that during this purchase.

just my 2 cents
Old 03-01-2021, 02:09 PM
drdantheman1
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by leroy105
*UPDATE* -- Car showed up to Carmax.... it's a bit rough. Couple "chips" in the driver seat on the edge, plastic trim on dash and panels is lightly scratched up, and there is a really funky perfume smell which may or not be the car cleaning material they used.

What a yuck moment at CarMax. They won't even clean up the car for us to really get a better idea. I've always hated CarMax and this proves the point.... These clowns wouldn't even let us take the car on a highway drive. Earth to CarMax... we aren't buying a Honda Accord today...
Oh man, sorry to hear that. I was in your EXACT situation with a previous car I was trying to buy from carmax. It was a 2015 supercharged range rover sport, black on tan. Looked great in the pics, paid $800 to have it shipped to local carmax, and was VERY disappointed by both the car and carmax. Door dings and scratches everywhere, worn out plastics, small leather tears on the interior (parts NOT easily replaceable), and the drivers bottom seat cover was actually lifting off the seat itself. Carmax did not care. Price was not significantly less than other RRS that were much better taken care of.

Conversely, the used car lot that I bough my C2S from reached over backwards to make sure I was happy with the car/deal. The salesman was a real car enthusiast, drove the car for me to get a PPI from the place I requested, waited there (4+ hours!), and drove it back to dealership. My C2S was also a little rough around the corners, but I've replaced the worn out exterior plastics, seals, emblems, myself very easily and with little cost (granted, the full leather interior was in great shape). I also negotiated down the price SIGNIFICANTLY so it make it worth my time/expense to correct it's little flaws. Now, it's perfect!

Best of luck with your search!
Old 03-01-2021, 02:32 PM
leroy105
Advanced

Originally Posted by desmotesta
given that this is not a family minivan and you aren't spending $10k or more LESS than market (just a few reasons that would make me put up with what you have reported) I would run the other way.

You aren't buying a hard to find "numbered" car and if this one gets away you wont find another.. the hassle involved is too much for a fun/dream/toy car... the entire experience has to be peasant, wonderful, joyous and exciting.

I would say so far you haven't experienced much of that during this purchase.

just my 2 cents
Yeah, I'm with you. I do think we actually may be $7/$8k under market (seriously... 4S 991.1 are like $85k to $90k).

I'm seriously shopping a 2011 Turbo S Cab right now. I may go in the other direction on the 997 front.
Old 03-01-2021, 02:47 PM
leroy105
Advanced

Originally Posted by drdantheman1
Oh man, sorry to hear that. I was in your EXACT situation with a previous car I was trying to buy from carmax. It was a 2015 supercharged range rover sport, black on tan. Looked great in the pics, paid $800 to have it shipped to local carmax, and was VERY disappointed by both the car and carmax. Door dings and scratches everywhere, worn out plastics, small leather tears on the interior (parts NOT easily replaceable), and the drivers bottom seat cover was actually lifting off the seat itself. Carmax did not care. Price was not significantly less than other RRS that were much better taken care of.

Conversely, the used car lot that I bough my C2S from reached over backwards to make sure I was happy with the car/deal. The salesman was a real car enthusiast, drove the car for me to get a PPI from the place I requested, waited there (4+ hours!), and drove it back to dealership. My C2S was also a little rough around the corners, but I've replaced the worn out exterior plastics, seals, emblems, myself very easily and with little cost (granted, the full leather interior was in great shape). I also negotiated down the price SIGNIFICANTLY so it make it worth my time/expense to correct it's little flaws. Now, it's perfect!

Best of luck with your search!
Yeah... I'm a little bummed out on the CarMax experience. I think this C4S was smoked in, and that is why it has a weird perfumey smell. CarMax won't even let us get a PPI of any sort.

This particular C4S is hard to find right now with the build we want and priced very well. The interior I think can get cleaned up, but the smell issue I don't have enough experience. In all BIG YUCK dealing with CarMax.

We made money flipping foreclosures and we're happy to "get a bargain" that requires some work, but a smoked in 911 is not where my head is at for any price.

I really like our local P-Car dealer in town. If they had the inventory, I'm in! They've also been super good with us, take care of touch ups after purchase, and are half reasonable with trade ins.
Old 03-01-2021, 04:36 PM
drdantheman1
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 119 Posts

If the interior smell is the most concerning issue, you can buy an ozone machine on amazon for like $50 and it will completely eliminate it. Auto detail shops do this all the time with previously smoked in vehicles. Something to consider if you really like the car. Then again, 997 turbo's are pretty sweet as well.

Quick Reply: Rate my Deal | 2014 991.1 4S / 22K Miles / $74K?