Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rate my Deal | 2014 991.1 4S / 22K Miles / $74K?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2021, 03:30 PM
DEEJ11
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by leroy105
My favorite dealer out where I live:

https://barrington.porschedealer.com...CD2A90BS773410

If this were in black, I'd probably buy it for 100k and just let it ride. That's kind of like checking off a bucket list item with 911 Turbo S.

There is a hideous $95k / 2011 Turbo S at a Toyota dealership around me. Price is good, has 8k miles (I think the owner of the dealership owned the car for the last 9 years... it got serviced at the Toyota dealer...) but it's got a god awful white / black color combo. I may take my wife to go drive it when this newer one comes in for $73k.
I'm surprised they have cars impacted by the stop sale listed on their site. I'm guessing they're accepting deposits and not delivering them?

Old 02-16-2021, 03:34 PM
leroy105
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My favorite dealer out where I live:

https://barrington.porschedealer.com...CD2A90BS773410

If this were in black, I'd probably buy it for 100k and just let it ride. That's kind of like checking off a bucket list item with 911 Turbo S.

There is a hideous $95k / 2011 Turbo S at a Toyota dealership around me. Price is good, has 8k miles (I think the owner of the dealership owned the car for the last 9 years... it got serviced at the Toyota dealer...) but it's got a god awful white / black color combo. I may take my wife to go drive it when this newer one comes in for $73k.
I guess so. I haven't stopped in to have a chat and touch the merchandise. The sales guy I've bought a gazillion cars with LOVES when I come in. Chances of me buying a car are like 90%... To their credit, they super clean up their cars, honor their "we owe list" when you buy a car, price real close to market, and have been pretty good on the trades. Plus free cookies!

My sales guy would be super bummed out we're buying from Carmax.... 991.1 is lean pickings otherwise I'd sit for the right one too.

Last edited by leroy105; 02-16-2021 at 03:35 PM.
Old 02-16-2021, 05:33 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 659 Likes on 349 Posts

Missing Full Leather and Sports Exhaust. Two must haves in my opinion. Also, the multifunction wheel needs aftermarket paddles (better option in my mind than going sports design with out multifunction). The paddles are a must with PDK.

This is not true: “The PDK requirement is making it hard; most PDK 991.1 aren't super optioned up since they weren't bought by super enthusiasts. The other element I am seeing is you can find better deals on more "custom" color selections (ie. weird combos) which is kind of a turn off.”
Old 02-16-2021, 05:38 PM
leroy105
Advanced

Originally Posted by shammerman
Missing Full Leather and Sports Exhaust. Two must haves in my opinion. Also, the multifunction wheel needs aftermarket paddles (better option in my mind than going sports design with out multifunction). The paddles are a must with PDK.

This is not true: “The PDK requirement is making it hard; most PDK 991.1 aren't super optioned up since they weren't bought by super enthusiasts. The other element I am seeing is you can find better deals on more "custom" color selections (ie. weird combos) which is kind of a turn off.”
Sport exhaust and the upgraded steering wheel bums met out too. My old 2014 Boxster which I factory ordered and was pretty base at least had the upgraded wheel. Seriously... Sport Chrono but you cheaped out on the wheel?
Old 02-16-2021, 06:34 PM
jungkim1234
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Just remember, if the other options are ok with you, upgrading to a new steering wheel and PSE are relatively cheap/ easy to change. Things like full leather interior are not.
The following users liked this post:
RobC4sX51 (02-16-2021)
Old 02-16-2021, 06:45 PM
leroy105
Advanced

Originally Posted by jungkim1234
Just remember, if the other options are ok with you, upgrading to a new steering wheel and PSE are relatively cheap/ easy to change. Things like full leather interior are not.
Each to his own. Having factory ordered, I never really considered the leather interior for the cost or the 18 way seats! (Maybe I really need to experience the 18 way seats... but I've got 14 way seats in my Cayenne and I sure ain't ever used 14 of the dimensions to customize my seating...).

I personally would not pay the extra $$$ for the all wheel drive. I'm really curious if that makes a difference from the RWD.
Old 02-16-2021, 06:48 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,140 Likes on 641 Posts

This is the market. If you want a car now and plan to keep it for a while, I see no fault in going for it and not looking back.

Waiting for a "bubble" to burst is a fool's errand. Case in point- I could have got on a waitlist for a stainless Rolex Daytona 2 years ago for MSRP, I would have had it by now. Instead I bought a JLC for actually more than the Daytona would have cost, figuring I didn't want to pay more than MSRP and couldn't stand waiting.

Fast forward to now, and I'm about to sell the JLC for a loss, whereas the Daytonas have only gone up in value and are now trading USED at around double MSRP.

Bubbles don't seem like they're going to burst for luxury goods with all the money pumped into the economy.

All that said, don't buy if you think this is some sort of investment. You are setting yourself up for disappointment. I just don't see these becoming "the next 993", not for a couple decades anyway at least.
Old 02-16-2021, 06:50 PM
leroy105
Advanced

Originally Posted by manifold danger
This is the market. If you want a car now and plan to keep it for a while, I see no fault in going for it and not looking back.

Waiting for a "bubble" to burst is a fool's errand. Case in point- I could have got on a waitlist for a stainless Rolex Daytona 2 years ago for MSRP, I would have had it by now. Instead I bought a JLC for actually more than the Daytona would have cost, figuring I didn't want to pay more than MSRP and couldn't stand waiting.

Fast forward to now, and I'm about to sell the JLC for a loss, whereas the Daytonas have only gone up in value and are now trading USED at around double MSRP.

Bubbles don't seem like they're going to burst for luxury goods with all the money pumped into the economy.

All that said, don't buy if you think this is some sort of investment. You are setting yourself up for disappointment. I just don't see these becoming "the next 993", not for a couple decades anyway at least.
I'm with you. If I could get away with a few hundred bucks a month in depreciation and be able to drive it 5k/miles a year. I'm happy as a clam.

What I want to avoid is the Mercedes death spiral to $0 in 5 years. (We looked at getting a SL450 in lieu of the 911 as a family cruiser. But even my missus wants the 911!).

Last edited by leroy105; 02-16-2021 at 06:51 PM.
Old 02-16-2021, 06:54 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,140 Likes on 641 Posts

I'm with you. If I could get away with a few hundred bucks a month in depreciation and be able to drive it 5k/miles a year. I'm happy as a clam.

What I want to avoid is the Mercedes death spiral to $0 in 5 years. (We looked at getting a SL450 in lieu of the 911 as a family cruiser. But even my missus wants the 911!).
I think it's a safe bet it won't depreciate to that level under foreseeable circumstances.
Old 02-16-2021, 06:58 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

Depreciation a few hundred per month? Hahahahaha
Old 02-16-2021, 10:57 PM
leroy105
Advanced

Originally Posted by JW911
Depreciation a few hundred per month? Hahahahaha
Bonus deprecation on company cars.... (Maybe you can see why there is a bubble for these cars right now? You are right in the tax sweet spot.)

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/new-rul...s-and-jobs-act

"If a taxpayer claims 100 percent bonus depreciation, the greatest allowable depreciation deduction is:
  • $18,000 for the first year,
  • $16,000 for the second year,
  • $9,600 for the third year, and
  • $5,760 for each later taxable year in the recovery period
"
$43,600 in 3 years.... 40% tax savings; $17,2000 in cash savings.

$73k all in, 3 years of depreciation, sell it for $50k to $55k. (I'll come back in 3 years, but I say it's worth $60k in 3 years; if the bubble pops and it's $50k worse case numbers below).

$50k + $17,2000 tax savings; $5,8000 of cost over 36 months ($161/month in 3 years.... now that seems unlikely, but the bonus depreciation is awesome right now in the $70k space. $150k new 911... not so much, the upfront depreciation on a leased car way exceeds what you can expense -- ultimately I can't stomatch the new depreciation; did it once on a 2014 Boxster and it was too much for me to bear).
---

Just saying. Mr. Trump sure helped the self employed on this one. We can't claim full business use, but it'll be substantial business use.

I think it'll be like $350/month once we work out the number, throw in sales tax loss, interest costs, maintenance costs [also all 40% writeoffs as expensed through the company...] and consider some lost "opportunity cost" of keeping the 2016 Cayenne (never had a Cayenne, lovely car, sh*t awful residuals).

I think my Cayenne in 3 years will lose more in percentage value than the 2014 911 in the Carmax ad. I say my $32k Cayenne, is a $17k Cayenne in 3 years.

I have a Cayenne 2016 which is fully written off under Section 179 for the business; we'll have to recapture the gain on sale to pick up the 911.

This would be the last Cayenne I would ever get. Those things depreciate almost as bad as Mercedes. Looks like it will be 24 months of depreciation on the Cayenne, and it cost us $375/month to have the car after trading it in two years later. (Though, depreciation write-off of the $9000 over 24 months, in tax savings is $3,600 so in all, we may have been closer to $225/month for the Cayenne. I need to pencil those numbers once I sell it).

If you really want to juice the scenario and make the savings complicated, toss in a 2% rate of return on the savings on tax savings, and you can shave off $15/month or something I bet on the 911 payment in your financial model in a spreadsheet.

On the 911, I'm using a 3 year period since that's the sweet points on the depreciation chart; but I'm hoping to have the car 5 years (which is when the CarMax warranty runs out; I also think they seriously underprice the warranty which brings their pricing vs. a private party much closer than it appears on the surface; however CarMax usually doesn't have the super tricked out 911s, I see mostly base cabs in my search over a few months). I think the depreciation will get fully captured in years 4 and 5 in the depreciation chart and it should tie out nicely.

I'm guessing the Biden administration at some point changes the automobile depreciation limits and it goes back to the more normal $10k a year, in which case your used 911 is nowhere near as tax advantageous under the current regime. Who knows though, maybe the Democrats will push it even further -- probably not though, seems really unfair for folks who cannot afford cars in the $70k to $100k space vs. those who can write them off in their businesses.

(Ex-finance guy, now self employed... USA Loves Business Owners; seems crazy how much you can legally tax deduct being self employed. We run our taxes 100% by the book with a CPA firm. Huge difference in these kinds of costs over a few decades if you can tax plan them. If you are into huge luxury SUVs and Pickup trucks and have the income to write-off, it's like a 40% discount on your cars for the rest of your life... I can get where all the Angry Trumpers are coming from -- it's like the rich keep getting richer.).

Last edited by leroy105; 02-16-2021 at 11:57 PM.
Old 02-17-2021, 12:15 AM
leroy105
Advanced

Originally Posted by shammerman

I think actually the market has flipped. There are more loaded coupes out there and the cabs are actually at a premium. Not saying it will be like that for forever but in the last few months that's what it looks like.

I think it is COVID / fun toy cab buyers personally.

I could get a better optioned car with a manual and coupe. You can get a low mileage 911 S Turbo Coupe, fully loaded, $105k to $110k -- relative to the cab at $73k, that's $25k well well spent....

I can't even find a Turbo S Cab in black... cause I sure would push the missus to just get over it and get it over with.

If this was in black and CPO'ed from a dealer or sold from Carmax, I'm in: https://bit.ly/2N5DXe4

Last edited by leroy105; 02-17-2021 at 12:46 AM.
Old 02-17-2021, 08:28 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 430 Likes on 307 Posts
Default These are easy fixes after the fact

Less than $2500 for both (indy installed).

Sport exhaust and the upgraded steering wheel bums met out too. My old 2014 Boxster which I factory ordered and was pretty base at least had the upgraded wheel. Seriously... Sport Chrono but you cheaped out on the wheel?
Old 02-17-2021, 08:31 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 430 Likes on 307 Posts
Default Data source ??

Cabs always cost more new and depreciate faster. The targa is seeming oddly to have lower depreciation than coupes in recent years.

I think actually the market has flipped. There are more loaded coupes out there and the cabs are actually at a premium. Not saying it will be like that for forever but in the last few months that's what it looks like.

I think it is COVID / fun toy cab buyers personally.

I could get a better optioned car with a manual and coupe. You can get a low mileage 911 S Turbo Coupe, fully loaded, $105k to $110k -- relative to the cab at $73k, that's $25k well well spent....

I can't even find a Turbo S Cab in black... cause I sure would push the missus to just get over it and get it over with.

If this was in black and CPO'ed from a dealer or sold from Carmax, I'm in: https://bit.ly/2N5DXe4
Old 02-17-2021, 09:33 AM
NF4710
Pro

Received 195 Likes on 120 Posts

The upgraded steering wheel really only matters if you care about shift paddles. From a cosmetic standpoint it’s actually a bit of an eyesore since the metal (?plastic) trim doesn’t match much else in the interior. The standard wheel is basically a 997.1 GT3 wheel so while not the sharpest looking it’s not the worst Porsche has done either. Neither option is as elegant as the 991.2 wheels.

NF
The following users liked this post:
leroy105 (02-17-2021)

Quick Reply: Rate my Deal | 2014 991.1 4S / 22K Miles / $74K?