Sponsored by:

Trade-in OR Sell private?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2021, 10:46 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,991 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by macanakey
I'm curious, OP - how different is your build on the Targa you ordered vs. the one you're looking to replace? I know we all have our preferences, but I can't see wanting to replace a unit with another of the same model (roughly) after so few miles & months.

991.2 Vs 992 is an entirely new car
Old 02-14-2021, 12:12 PM
Guzzgreg
Racer

Received 122 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
Ok, first off I would bet a dime to a dollar you aren't getting an April delivery on a 992 Targa. They have stated they aren't producing any Targas for the US market in 2021.
But, if you are confident in getting the delivery then there is a simple answer and the only "proper" way to do it..

You list it privately for as much as you can get and run the sale through the dealership. The dealership handles all of the paperwork, payment, insurance, etc.. and credits you towards the 992.
Then the only tax you pay is the difference between the sale and the new 992. Dealer should be cool doing this as he sold you both cars and the money is staying with them until the car is delivered.

But, don't say I didnt tell you so when you sell the 991 and they tell you they can't get you that 992 until 2022. Then you have a whole new set of problems..

What makes you think they are not producing the 992 Targa 4s for the US market? I called PNA to verify before I ordered mine and was told they absolutely are. I will agree with you an April delivery is completely out of the question. I ordered mine the beginning of January and was told POSSIBLY July more likely August.
The following users liked this post:
desmotesta (02-15-2021)
Old 02-14-2021, 03:51 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

It seems like the market for used 911s is pretty hot right now so you may have an advantage. Also the sales tax savings could be significant. I am currently planning to trade a 2020 Subaru Crosstrek for a 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro. Since the Crosstrek still has good value, trading it will probably save me about $2,000 in sales tax. I could imagine that trading in your car would save you many thousands in tax. My 911 went in to the dealer for work in November and within hours I got an email from them offering to buy my car since 911s are in short supply (so they said). They were probably just trying to get me to sell at a soft moment since my car went in with problems. I have sold a lot of used motorcycles myself but am getting to the point where the potential sales price increase from a private sale is not worth the hassle.
Old 02-14-2021, 04:47 PM
macanakey
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by dflowerz
It seems like the market for used 911s is pretty hot right now so you may have an advantage. Also the sales tax savings could be significant. I am currently planning to trade a 2020 Subaru Crosstrek for a 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro. Since the Crosstrek still has good value, trading it will probably save me about $2,000 in sales tax. I could imagine that trading in your car would save you many thousands in tax. My 911 went in to the dealer for work in November and within hours I got an email from them offering to buy my car since 911s are in short supply (so they said). They were probably just trying to get me to sell at a soft moment since my car went in with problems. I have sold a lot of used motorcycles myself but am getting to the point where the potential sales price increase from a private sale is not worth the hassle.
Depends on the state you're on. Not all states allow trade-ins to offset your sales tax hit.
The following users liked this post:
dflowerz (02-15-2021)
Old 08-04-2021, 08:24 PM
vcappp
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, first off I would bet a dime to a dollar you aren't getting an April delivery on a 992 Targa. They have stated they aren't producing any Targas for the US market in 2021.
But, if you are confident in getting the delivery then there is a simple answer and the only "proper" way to do it..

You list it privately for as much as you can get and run the sale through the dealership. The dealership handles all of the paperwork, payment, insurance, etc.. and credits you towards the 992.
Then the only tax you pay is the difference between the sale and the new 992. Dealer should be cool doing this as he sold you both cars and the money is staying with them until the car is delivered.

But, don't say I didnt tell you so when you sell the 991 and they tell you they can't get you that 992 until 2022. Then you have a whole new set of problems..

​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by WolfDenShoebox
Someone suggested selling on Consignment. This may be the best way to go for your situation to get the most money for it.

Alternatively, you can post on carsandbids.com and bringatrailer.com or even pcarmarket.com to get your car auctioned off.

The worst option of private party sale would be Craigslist/Facebook Marketplace. You will get lowball offers probably 15 to 30% below actual market value.

With that being said, trade in values at a dealership is always going to be hit or miss. If you are serious about convenience and just want to dump your Targa, then I suggest getting quotes from Carvana/VROOM/Carmax AND your local Porsche dealership. Just sell you car to the place that's offering you the most. (hint, it's most likely the Porsche dealership)

Car values from dealerships generally come for what the cars are getting at Mannheim Auction. Many dealerships like to use the MMR value to generate a "black book" offer for your car. Carvana exclusively uses KBB trade in values for some unknown reason. If you want to get an idea of what Carvana will offer you, just spec out your car on KBB. The range KBB gives you is probably where your car will land. Just some ideas.

For what it's worth, I think selling a turbo charged, direct injected $100k+ 911 with less than 1k miles is a hard sell to the enthusiast market. It's very clear in two years of ownership the car is barely driven, if it at all. As an enthusiast, I don't read this as "added value," I just see this as potential problems that simply haven't crept up yet and definite carbon build up issues.

Direct injected engines need to be operated at temperature and somewhat hard. This helps burn off the carbon deposits that form on the back of the valve heads.

Your car isn't even broken in, really. My recommendation? DRIVE YOUR CAR. I mean, DRIVE IT HARD (after break in). I decided to buy a 911 over an R8 because the 911's are sports cars designed to be driven, enjoyed, and grow in time. They are timeless machines.

You should have no problem finding some rando off the street who thinks lower mileage is better, almost "new."

Is it possible to do cosignement with an out-of-state dealer?

For example, I have a car to sell, and I am buying a new car from the out-of-state dealer. I list my car to sell and bring a buyer from my state, then I ask the out-of-state dealer do cosignment.
Is it possible?

Last edited by vcappp; 08-04-2021 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Adding another qoute
Old 08-04-2021, 11:12 PM
Thinc2
Pro

Received 188 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Yc911Kid
If you are in a position to dump 6 figure car with only 500 miles I'd say why bother with the hassles from private txn, just drop it off to the dealer & call it a day.
This.
Old 05-02-2022, 09:18 PM
EdwardU
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

... The dealership handles all of the paperwork, payment, insurance, etc.. and credits you towards the 992.
So I proposed this to my dealership but to just trade in with them now and credit for a special order Range Rover 2023 which comes in 6 months or so. I wanted to keep the tax benefit. They said it's not possible and that the trade in has to happen at the time of delivery. Thoughts?
Old 05-02-2022, 10:14 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,354 Posts

Originally Posted by EdwardU
So I proposed this to my dealership but to just trade in with them now and credit for a special order Range Rover 2023 which comes in 6 months or so. I wanted to keep the tax benefit. They said it's not possible and that the trade in has to happen at the time of delivery. Thoughts?
I have done early trades a couple of times (in FL) but I guess it is up to the dealer whether they want to do it.

Quick Reply: Trade-in OR Sell private?