Sponsored by:

Adjusting the O in P O R S C H E

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2021, 12:48 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Adjusting the O in P O R S C H E

The O in my rear logo is slightly crooked. Not sure why - there hasn't been any damage or paintwork, but alas.

Is there any way to remove and adjust/reinstall it without buying a new logo? Can I hit it with a heat gun until the adhesive softens, slide it into proper position, then let it cool to re-stick? Would I risk melting the plastic bumper cover? I could also just leave it.

See pic below:

Old 01-29-2021, 01:18 AM
bb964
Rennlist Member

Received 325 Likes on 200 Posts

Heat gun is OK as long as you are very careful - come too close and u can damage the paint, hair dryer is much safer - see video below. To re-attach you would need to remove the old adhesive from the car and the letter and then to surgically cut the Automotive Attachment Tape to fit the back of the O.
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by bb964; 01-29-2021 at 01:27 AM.
Old 01-29-2021, 01:36 AM
Zylinderkopfdichtung
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 193 Posts

I’m a big fan of the Goo Gone and dental floss method. Soak the area with Goo Gone (preferably the thin, watery kind as opposed to the gel, but either will work). Really get a lot on there so it pools around the emblem. Leave it overnight. Soak it again the next day and begin to saw some dental floss back and forth between the paint and the emblem. You may have to soak and saw a few times until you get through the adhesive.

It takes longer than the heating method but it will not damage your paint or emblem.
Old 01-29-2021, 01:42 AM
usccharles
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 82 Posts

why don't you just take it to the dealer and ask them to fix it? i think they have a template to place the letters on so that it goes on perfectly straight
Old 01-29-2021, 01:49 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by I-Man
I’m a big fan of the Goo Gone and dental floss method. Soak the area with Goo Gone (preferably the thin, watery kind as opposed to the gel, but either will work). Really get a lot on there so it pools around the emblem. Leave it overnight. Soak it again the next day and begin to saw some dental floss back and forth between the paint and the emblem. You may have to soak and saw a few times until you get through the adhesive.

It takes longer than the heating method but it will not damage your paint or emblem.
Does Goo Gone do anything to ceramic coating? I also don't want to obliterate the area with scratches as I try to remove the adhesive remnants.

Originally Posted by usccharles
why don't you just take it to the dealer and ask them to fix it? i think they have a template to place the letters on so that it goes on perfectly straight
I did call the dealer today to see if they could give me a quote. They told me the emblems are one-time use, so they'd have to sell me a full PORSCHE logo to just get the O. I'll see what the quote is, but I'm betting it will be obscene for what this is. Car is CPO, but the SA said this would not be covered. I know I can get a full logo from Suncoast for $80+, so maybe I can bring that to the dealer instead of paying their markup.
Old 01-29-2021, 02:13 AM
fluguy
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Maybe some kid did a t-twister on the O.
The two-sided tape is thin and has some give in between the sticky sides.
Heat it up to where it's not too hot for a toddler to touch - could even use a hair dryer.
Then try and twist it to the right just past center and hold it till it mostly cools. It will return just a bit is why the extra.
Check it the next day and adjust if necessary.
I've done this before to tilt a guy's S on his rice burner.
The following 3 users liked this post by fluguy:
afk (01-29-2021), jimmiejam (01-29-2021), maplefrm (01-29-2021)
Old 01-29-2021, 07:59 AM
usccharles
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mgordon18
Does Goo Gone do anything to ceramic coating? I also don't want to obliterate the area with scratches as I try to remove the adhesive remnants.

I did call the dealer today to see if they could give me a quote. They told me the emblems are one-time use, so they'd have to sell me a full PORSCHE logo to just get the O. I'll see what the quote is, but I'm betting it will be obscene for what this is. Car is CPO, but the SA said this would not be covered. I know I can get a full logo from Suncoast for $80+, so maybe I can bring that to the dealer instead of paying their markup.
I think the O looks undamaged to me. I don’t you need new emblems, someone just needs to reattach it.

maybe go to any PPF installer? My PPF installer reattached all the emblems after wrapping my car.
The following users liked this post:
fluguy (01-29-2021)
Old 01-29-2021, 10:25 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,427 Likes on 2,343 Posts

Originally Posted by fluguy
Maybe some kid did a t-twister on the O.
The two-sided tape is thin and has some give in between the sticky sides.
Heat it up to where it's not too hot for a toddler to touch - could even use a hair dryer.
Then try and twist it to the right just past center and hold it till it mostly cools. It will return just a bit is why the extra.
Check it the next day and adjust if necessary.
I've done this before to tilt a guy's S on his rice burner.
This is the way to do it - I have done a lot of this stuff. But I will add that you should lift it slightly as you twist it and when you reset it use some painters tape to secure it in place and let it sit overnight. Worst case just take it off, clean off the residue and put new 3M tape on - just small pieces on each of the 4 sides will suffice.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bob Z.:
afk (01-29-2021), fluguy (01-29-2021)
Old 01-30-2021, 12:45 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

It's pretty much fixed now. 99% of the way there, I think. Hair dryer, masking tape, and patience did the trick.

Thanks for the tips!

Last edited by mgordon18; 01-30-2021 at 12:46 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mgordon18:
fluguy (01-30-2021), jesm (01-31-2021)
Old 01-30-2021, 11:54 PM
osunick
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 60 Posts

For future reference, when repositioning any of these badges, if you have a new badge, just spray down the rear with quick detailer or soapy water. There will be just enough adhesion to hold pieces in place but you'll be able to tweak positioning until the liquid dries.
The following users liked this post:
fluguy (01-31-2021)

Quick Reply: Adjusting the O in P O R S C H E