Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

And So It Goes...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2021 | 04:12 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Originally Posted by darylbowden
So look at this as an opportunity rather than a reason for heartburn.
FYI...Heartburn and heart attack pain can be similar. If someone is in doubt whether pain is a heart attack, they should always call for an ambulance. If it is a heart attack, prompt medical care can be lifesaving.

You owe me...
Old 01-30-2021 | 05:24 PM
k_h_d
Instructor

My wife will never drive my P cars. She has hit the garage with every car she has ever driven including my daily driver 4Runner. She managed to run her brand new 2020 Mercedes GLS 450 into a concrete barrier pole to the tune of a 28k insurance repair. It’s utterly ridiculous how bad some people are at paying attention while driving.
Old 01-30-2021 | 05:51 PM
Icebreaker
Racer

Originally Posted by vts_lake
Icebreaker:
I thought i recognized the track photo as AMP?

If so, once the weather gets nice it would be nice to meet in Chester for a coffee.
Perfect! Good eye. I sent you a pm with my contact info.
Old 01-31-2021 | 12:34 PM
protamine
Rennlist Member

I got PDK so my wife could drive it (she hates my 69 Camaro 396/4speed) and one day I was out in the camaro and I come to an intersection and see a silver .2 GTS fly by, spoiler up and a smile on her face. Well worth the price of admission.
The following users liked this post:
usccharles (02-01-2021)
Old 01-31-2021 | 12:41 PM
rugu6869
Burning Brakes

My wife's first new car that she bought after college was a Honda Civic with a manual transmission because she wanted to learn how to drive stick. Her uncle had to teach her on the drive home and she's been hooked ever since.
She used to drive my BMW 330 all the time and drives my GTI every now and then and REALLY likes it. She loves the power and handling (400hp, less than 3000# and full suspension work).

She only had the chance to drive my 911 once so far. She's just a bit nervous because of the price, but loved the way it reacted and how immediate everything reacts. Give her some time and she'll be wanting to drive it more.
Old 01-31-2021 | 12:51 PM
Josh(PA)
Rennlist Member

Happy wife, happy life.
SConn (01-31-2021)
Old 01-31-2021 | 09:54 PM
bmwexpat
Instructor

Going back to the OP original post about asking/receiving permission……

Living in Portland, back in 1981 an idiot driver t-boned my wife in her 5 speed V8 Chevy Monza. She was unhurt, but I’m not sure if she sustained brain damage, as she suggested that rather than buy another Chevy, let’s buy a used Porsche! As a recently married couple with limited finances, we settled on a used 1972 T Targa. This was my wife’s daily driver for 2 years till job relocation took us to Chicago. Fast forward 40 years with another cross county move to California, 2 kids, buying and selling homes, and many “spirited “ discussions if we should sell the Porsche for a down payment on homes, especially the California house. Fortunately we did not sell and have 40 years worth of family memories such as my wife running from the Portland cops, short road trips with 2 young kids and dog in back, looking at Christmas lights with the roof off and the kids standing on the rear seats, and my 5 year old son ratting me out to “Captain Safety Mom” that we had just done a buck thirty on Vasco Road and it was Awesome!

I’ve wanted a new Porsche for many years but something always seemed to pop up that made that level of luxury expense a non starter. 2020 & Covid brought us to a revised revelation, both kids are grown and are rocking the world and will never need us to support them. We have the money and given the crazy state of the world what are we waiting for? So one day, in August, my awesome bride looked and me and gave me “permission” to buy the Porsche of my dreams. In my case that was a 991 Turbo S. As fate was on our side, we found the perfect car within days of starting our search.
My wife loves driving the 991. It makes her feel safe and secure and it is comfortable for long or short trips. I find I have to compete with her for seat time, which is OK as its fun to just watch her having fun. Covid shutdowns have limited our short and longer term travel plans but eventually we will return to something close to normal and we get to decide which Porsche suits our mood on any given day. Great wives are like good wine and Porsches, when you find a good one hang on to them forever

The following 9 users liked this post by bmwexpat:
AlterZgo (03-22-2021), Bud Taylor (02-02-2021), marcnyc (02-01-2021), needmoregarage (01-31-2021), rugu6869 (01-31-2021), SConn (02-01-2021), Speed2k (02-01-2021), usccharles (02-01-2021), XLR82XS (02-01-2021) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-31-2021 | 10:34 PM
rugu6869
Burning Brakes

^Bmwexpat
That story made me smile! Great fun. Love it and enjoy.
Old 01-31-2021 | 10:41 PM
vanlieremead
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bmwexpat
Great wives are like good wine and Porsches, when you find a good one hang on to them forever
Lovely story. Mine has been my "Queen" for 33 years since this past Jan 23rd. I just told Milly today how fortunate I was to marry a girl with a love of sports cars. To your point about seat time, Milly wants the Porsche and is egging me on to get a C8. While I would love to, I recently retired and want to see how things go for a while. I know..you only live once.

Question though - maybe simply answered. I presume you rather run in the Turbo for comfort, convenience and speed but the Targa for sentimentality, luck and your roots?

Chris

Last edited by vanlieremead; 01-31-2021 at 10:45 PM.
Old 02-01-2021 | 12:27 AM
marcnyc
Instructor

Living in Portland, back in 1981 an idiot driver t-boned my wife in her 5 speed V8 Chevy Monza. She was unhurt, but I’m not sure if she sustained brain damage, as she suggested that rather than buy another Chevy, let’s buy a used Porsche! As a recently married couple with limited finances, we settled on a used 1972 T Targa. This was my wife’s daily driver for 2 years till job relocation took us to Chicago. Fast forward 40 years with another cross county move to California, 2 kids, buying and selling homes, and many “spirited “ discussions if we should sell the Porsche for a down payment on homes, especially the California house. Fortunately we did not sell and have 40 years worth of family memories such as my wife running from the Portland cops, short road trips with 2 young kids and dog in back, looking at Christmas lights with the roof off and the kids standing on the rear seats, and my 5 year old son ratting me out to “Captain Safety Mom” that we had just done a buck thirty on Vasco Road and it was Awesome!

I’ve wanted a new Porsche for many years but something always seemed to pop up that made that level of luxury expense a non starter. 2020 & Covid brought us to a revised revelation, both kids are grown and are rocking the world and will never need us to support them. We have the money and given the crazy state of the world what are we waiting for? So one day, in August, my awesome bride looked and me and gave me “permission” to buy the Porsche of my dreams. In my case that was a 991 Turbo S. As fate was on our side, we found the perfect car within days of starting our search.
My wife loves driving the 991. It makes her feel safe and secure and it is comfortable for long or short trips. I find I have to compete with her for seat time, which is OK as its fun to just watch her having fun. Covid shutdowns have limited our short and longer term travel plans but eventually we will return to something close to normal and we get to decide which Porsche suits our mood on any given day. Great wives are like good wine and Porsches, when you find a good one hang on to them forever
Awesome story! Enjoy!
Old 02-01-2021 | 10:47 AM
usccharles
Pro

let your wife keep the 991. Damn i would floss that targa all day every day. What a beautiful car
Old 02-01-2021 | 11:15 AM
bmwexpat
Instructor

[QUOTE=vanlieremead;
Question though - maybe simply answered. I presume you rather run in the Turbo for comfort, convenience and speed but the Targa for sentimentality, luck and your roots?

The Targa is a totally visceral experience to drive. It's 100% analog, no safety nannies, no power steering, brakes that you have to modulate yourself etc. It's the car that gets driven 100% of the time with the top off so the days can't be to hot or to cold as there is no AC. With the top off all the sounds and smells of nature and the car are with you all the time. Revving out to redline produces that magic flat 6 sound that is missing from the modern turbo cars, the smell of hot oil and a bit of exhaust smell are just a part of older Porsches. By modern standards it's not a fast car but it's not slow either as she can still rock the twistys and can cruse comfortably on freeways at 80-90 if you want to. It's also a car that can kill you if you drive it stupidly. I got reminded of this a couple of weeks ago when I tried to make a left turn light and went in a bit to hot.... ( forgot what I was driving) and chopped power in the middle of the corner. The rear stepped out big time and while I caught the slide I was definitely reminded of the consequences of trailing throttle oversteer. It's a major appeal of a 50 year old Porsche, it's you, the car and your talent as a driver. There is nothing that will save you and the car will be laughing at you as you spin off the road backwards. God this thing is fun and makes you feel great to be alive.
marcnyc (02-01-2021)
Old 02-02-2021 | 07:48 AM
PAPorscheGuy
Instructor

Okay guys, I want to make sure I understand what you're saying here. My wife's DD is this Mini Cooper S MT. So, she can drive a manual, not a problem. But before I go any further, check out the tread on those front tires. 15K miles, and the front tires need to be replaced. She's an aggressive driver. And you guys let your significant other actually drive your 911? Alone...without you? I just picked up my 991. This would be a big step for me. This thread is challenging me. Face your fears
Attached Images  
Old 02-02-2021 | 06:32 PM
Icebreaker
Racer

Originally Posted by PAPorscheGuy
So, she can drive a manual, not a problem. But before I go any further, check out the tread on those front tires. 15K miles, and the front tires need to be replaced. She's an aggressive driver. And you guys let your significant other actually drive your 911? Alone...without you? I just picked up my 991. This would be a big step for me. This thread is challenging me. Face your fears

You lucky guy! I love buying tires. What are you going to get?

My wife wore the outside tread of the 991 rear tires in 9,000 miles. From all accounts, that isn't from just being aggressive merging into traffic. That is serious cornering!
Isn't it great to have a partner who appreciates good engineering and can push the envelope. Embrace the good fortune that we don't have a Lexus in our driveway!

Old 02-02-2021 | 07:37 PM
bmwexpat
Instructor

Sticky tire are always a good option.

I have to chuckle at the seating arrangements. The dog gets shotgun and the kids have the back seats. Our dog is always tying to get the passenger seat. Had to figure out how to create her own seat in the 991. Now she is happy to ride in back.
PAPorscheGuy (02-03-2021)

Quick Reply: And So It Goes...