Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will the SC dial from my stock wheel work on this carbon wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2021, 09:56 PM
MazKhan
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will the SC dial from my stock wheel work on this carbon wheel?

Hello folks,

Need some help on this.

I have a 991.2 S with SC package. My OEM wheel has the sport Chrono dial on it to switch modes from sport to sport plus.

However there’s a carbon 991.2 wheel that I’d like to buy but it doesn’t have the SC dial.

My question is, if I buy that carbon wheel and a new Y trim which has the “hole” in it for the SC dial, will it work on my 991.2? I’m also going to move over all the hardware and wires on my OEM wheel into the new carbon wheel including my OEM SC dial.

So effectively I’m just using the carbon shell of the new wheel and reusing all the hardware and wires from my OEM wheel.

This carbon wheel should work on my car like my OEM wheel did, right? Am I missing anything?

See some pics to help understand what I’m going through.

This is the SC dial on my OEM wheel.

This is the carbon wheel I’m buying.

This seems to be the wire for the SC dial.

The Y trim on my new wheel doesn’t have a hole for the SC dial.

SC dial on the OEM wheel.

Closer look into the wire.

This Y trim has the necessary hole for the SC dial and is available for purchase.

​​​​​​​
Old 01-27-2021, 02:47 PM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,123 Likes on 668 Posts

Yes, you can re-use all your components and transfer to the shell of the carbon wheel. You should be able to re-use your Y Trim as well without having to buy a new one.
Old 01-27-2021, 04:17 PM
MazKhan
Track Day

Originally Posted by polobai
Yes, you can re-use all your components and transfer to the shell of the carbon wheel. You should be able to re-use your Y Trim as well without having to buy a new one.
Thank you! Have you done this before?
Old 01-27-2021, 06:44 PM
polobai
Drifting

not exactly the same, but the first major mod I did to my car was add the multifunction controls and wiring to a non multifunction wheel. The wheels come apart like legos-just have to put them back together on the frame you chose.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:26 PM
MazKhan
Track Day

not exactly the same, but the first major mod I did to my car was add the multifunction controls and wiring to a non multifunction wheel. The wheels come apart like legos-just have to put them back together on the frame you chose.
Awesome! Thx for the info man, makes me feel a lot better. lol. My only concern was the Sport Chrono. I was confused if cars that have Sport Chrono had a special wire or harness or something in the wheel that other wheels don’t have. But looks like the only
difference is really just the dial which I should be able to use in the new wheel from my OEM wheel.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:38 PM
polobai
Drifting

You transfer the wire harness over from your stock wheel as well. Should be fine.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:53 PM
MazKhan
Track Day

You transfer the wire harness over from your stock wheel as well. Should be fine.
Thank you again buddy! So basically move over this entire portion that I circled in red, right? Does those black clips come off easily?

Old 01-27-2021, 09:11 PM
polobai
Drifting

Yep, move everything to the new wheel. Not sure what clips your referring to but if you need to swap them you would know once you have the wheels side by side.
Old 01-28-2021, 12:16 AM
MazKhan
Track Day

Yep, move everything to the new wheel. Not sure what clips your referring to but if you need to swap them you would know once you have the wheels side by side.
Appreciate the responses man! Thank you. I can’t wait for the wheel to arrive and give this a shot. I’ll update this thread!

Quick Reply: Will the SC dial from my stock wheel work on this carbon wheel?