Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can 911s or any ICE “collectibles” maintain value?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2021, 12:12 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,432 Likes on 827 Posts

wonder how the aptera would do in a collision, because it sure seems like your legs may be missing if you get hit head on.
Old 02-04-2021, 01:20 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,320 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
I am amazed by a couple of things:
- that this thread made it three pages without being moved to P&C
- the number of folks that think ‘the market’ is what’s causing the rise of the EV at the expense of the ICE.
Amazed right alongside you, and take the first thing as a really good thing, and appreciate that it hasn't had to.

Agree with your second point, but see the catalyst as a parallel in some ways—the "market" wasn't asking for that, and neither were car companies. The catalyst not only made the world a better place, it eventually led to the ultra efficient, ultra powerful engines we've enjoyed for 25+ years.

EVs and hybrids aren't a good one answer, but they can be part of the answer.

Originally Posted by 911-TOUR
So - I've looked into the economics of this in depth as part of my day job. It turns out to be very hard to make *any* money selling electricity at the roadside. Capital costs are very high, and demand is very uncertain when everyone can fill up at home. It probably works for a large regional-, or national-scale network along interstates and major secondaries, but the mom-and-pop owned stations cannot make the numbers work.

Again, just my 2 bits.
Always appreciate your insights, and this is a great one to consider. Suspect the Tesla, Electrify America, etc networks are the future for this reason—which will likely have an impact on where EVs make sense just as weather and common travel distances within a given region do.

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
wonder how the aptera would do in a collision, because it sure seems like your legs may be missing if you get hit head on.
I like to think I am open-minded when it comes to cars, and am waiting to see a sporting EV that actually interests me—but cannot see myself in any way, shape, or form wanting to drive the Aptera, both out of the concern you raise as well as the visuals. To each their own, however…
Old 02-04-2021, 01:53 PM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 692 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by 911-TOUR
I happen to work in the Oil & Gas Industry. Global energy and chemical demand will ensure that gasoline and distillates are available for the next 50 years (at least). Prices will likely rise dramatically as demand outstrips (governmentally / environmentally) limited supply. My own guess is that we can transition to solar/nuclear/wind + thermal battery over the next 50-100 years, and much opportunity will result from the resulting innovation.

Just my 2 bits.
What about petroleum required to manufacturer, toothbrushes, toys, plastics, tools, etc....? Will demand change in 25, 50, 100 years?
Old 02-04-2021, 04:10 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,089 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Amazed right alongside you, and take the first thing as a really good thing, and appreciate that it hasn't had to.
Agree with your second point, but see the catalyst as a parallel in some ways—the "market" wasn't asking for that, and neither were car companies. The catalyst not only made the world a better place, it eventually led to the ultra efficient, ultra powerful engines we've enjoyed for 25+ years.
Without a doubt regulations - and the oil crisis of the early 70s - did wonderful things for the ICE. It's hard, very hard, to argue that giant iron chariots running around with an almost-uncontrolled 12.6:1 fuel/air ratio target, open-to-atmosphere crankcase ventilation and fuel tanks were a good thing. A confluence of market forces (in so much as an oil cartel can be called a "market" force) and government regulations(*) provided the world with ICE-powered cars that, by the early 2000s, emitted cleaner gases than what they ingested (when cruising.) At that point, the main issue with pollution from ICE was during warm-up and high-load operation. There were numerous technologies patented, but not applied, to warm-up. I'm not sure exactly why. Most likely, I think, due to a *poor* confluence of market forces and regulations.

After that, continuing constriction of regulations has given us *poorer* ICE engines. The paragon of this is the move to all-turbo engines which burn more fuel (and pollute more) when driven like *normal* people drive cars.

(*) And, NONE of it would have been possible without the computer revolution. One might argue that the computer revolution would have provided us with the same benefits as the oil crisis and regulation vis-a-vis ICE improvements. I would argue that, but I would admit that it might have taken a lot more time.

EVs and hybrids aren't a good one answer, but they can be part of the answer.
I think we were headed in a good direction with (many of) the various incentives to promote technologies for moving people around other than the ICE. However, I think that regulation that kills the ICE by 2035 will have serious unintended consequences.

IMO, the "problem" of the internal combustion engine was solved a decade ago and what we now have is a war against the internal combustion engine. I call it a war because it appears that it is being prosecuted like a war and with almost no thought for what happens when the "war is won", consequences, or causalities along the way.

Unless significant wherewithal is directed at those consequences, I think we'll see a booming - bubble like - market for used ICE cars come 2035 and beyond. A used ICE F-150 will be gold in vast stretches of the US.

I'd expound further but that would definitely move us to P&C. But, to summarize:

I think some categories of ICE vehicles will not only maintain value but will increase in value post 2035.

The following 2 users liked this post by worf928:
fnckr (02-06-2021), XLR82XS (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 05:53 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by worf928
Without a doubt regulations - and the oil crisis of the early 70s - did wonderful things for the ICE. It's hard, very hard, to argue that giant iron chariots running around with an almost-uncontrolled 12.6:1 fuel/air ratio target, open-to-atmosphere crankcase ventilation and fuel tanks were a good thing. A confluence of market forces (in so much as an oil cartel can be called a "market" force) and government regulations(*) provided the world with ICE-powered cars that, by the early 2000s, emitted cleaner gases than what they ingested (when cruising.) At that point, the main issue with pollution from ICE was during warm-up and high-load operation. There were numerous technologies patented, but not applied, to warm-up. I'm not sure exactly why. Most likely, I think, due to a *poor* confluence of market forces and regulations.

After that, continuing constriction of regulations has given us *poorer* ICE engines. The paragon of this is the move to all-turbo engines which burn more fuel (and pollute more) when driven like *normal* people drive cars.

(*) And, NONE of it would have been possible without the computer revolution. One might argue that the computer revolution would have provided us with the same benefits as the oil crisis and regulation vis-a-vis ICE improvements. I would argue that, but I would admit that it might have taken a lot more time.

I think we were headed in a good direction with (many of) the various incentives to promote technologies for moving people around other than the ICE. However, I think that regulation that kills the ICE by 2035 will have serious unintended consequences.

IMO, the "problem" of the internal combustion engine was solved a decade ago and what we now have is a war against the internal combustion engine. I call it a war because it appears that it is being prosecuted like a war and with almost no thought for what happens when the "war is won", consequences, or causalities along the way.

Unless significant wherewithal is directed at those consequences, I think we'll see a booming - bubble like - market for used ICE cars come 2035 and beyond. A used ICE F-150 will be gold in vast stretches of the US.

I'd expound further but that would definitely move us to P&C. But, to summarize:

I think some categories of ICE vehicles will not only maintain value but will increase in value post 2035.
^ I totally agree.

Poor legislation—based on poor testing methods—has indeed led to favoring counterproductive powertrains, "turbo for efficiency" (really turbo for torque, and, as Germans like to say, "turbo breathes, turbo drinks") being just one of them. Roadside testing would have been so much better than smog checks, both for real-world measurements as well as preventing the entire vehicle fleet (or most of it, anyway) from having to make an additional two-way trip to get tested every 1-2 years. And the new car "grace period" is counterproductive as well.

I see home solar-powered EVs for some use in regions where it makes sense as a great way to offset places where it doesn't, so long as smart legislation could be enacted to incentivize industry and consumers—but we have really come at this the wrong way, bulking up light vehicles and small cars when hybrid and/or EV powertrains would have made a lot more sense for short-haul/distance daily trucks for a start. Everything from box trucks to plumbers' pickups and schoolbuses.
Old 02-04-2021, 07:08 PM
bmwexpat
Instructor

Received 151 Likes on 68 Posts

As a 40 year owner of a classic Porsche, I disagree with the majority of posters on this thread. Long term ownership of the right Porsche is not an investment in the same sense as a stock portfolio or other financial instruments, but it is a store of disposable income or value or over time. Long term ownership would compare to owning a house, collectable art or any other collectables that have actual value. Myself, I’ve looked at long term ownership as having a saving account that I get to have fun with, make memories with and pleasantly watch the values increase as the years rolled by.

First of all I believe the 991 series will do very well as a favored series as time goes on. The 991 was a watershed product when first announced in 2013. It elevated the 911 to new levels of power, comfort, drivability and safety. Overall the 991 series seems to be universally loved by Porsche people. For long term value, this is a key metric.

Most people don’t keep any car for more than 5 years, so they don’t care what happens to values over time. As a long time owner here is what to expect:

· Years 0 to 5-6 – Worst years of depreciation – figure at the end of year 6 a 991 is worth roughly 45% of MSRP.

· Years 6-15 – Overall valuations stay flat. Depreciation is done. However, this is where a lot of “regular Joe’s” come into the market space. They can afford to buy a used Porsche but can’t keep up the required maintenance. Thus a significant portion of the car population degrades into poor condition plus a few just get destroyed in accidents along the way. This is where the values of excellently maintained vehicles really start to separate themselves from their poorly maintained breathern.

· Years 15- Forever - A series of jumps up, plateau’s in value and some dips in value over time. Overall the trend is up. How far up anyone’s guess but the main reason you own the car is is you still enjoy it. At 15 years+ it’ now gotten to the point where it’s different from anything new. Different is good. These are also the years where key models such at the T, GTS and Turbo S separate themselves from their more common sisters in accelerated values.

Hanging on, long term, to some of the special cars that you own is a very rewarding experience from an enjoyment and emotional standpoint as well as being a repository of actual value.
The following 4 users liked this post by bmwexpat:
Guards_Red_991 (02-04-2021), Porsche911GTS'16 (02-05-2021), SConn (02-05-2021), worf928 (02-05-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 07:48 PM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

Received 551 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwexpat
Hanging on, long term, to some of the special cars that you own is a very rewarding experience from an enjoyment and emotional standpoint as well as being a repository of actual value.
This resonates with me very deeply. I do not see myself parting ways with my 991 because of the statement above.
The following users liked this post:
Porsche911GTS'16 (02-05-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 10:36 PM
DanQ
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
No interior pic = not real

Several of these kicstarters have gone belly up. If they existed I would buy one.
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I have seen some of the test videos of front and rear crashes of the previous generation and the passenger cell stays intact, so it looks pretty safe. The roof crush was stronger than other vehicles tested. We'll have to see the results for this generation, but it's fiberglass, kevlar, foam, honeycomb construction is similar to current race car tubs. It's certainly better than a motorcycle or a slingshot.

Here is another Munro video I just saw today that helps address the above questions.
10:00 shows crush structure.
11:10 shows some interior shots of real car vs the computer generated views on the Aptera site

Last edited by DanQ; 02-04-2021 at 10:44 PM.
Old 02-04-2021, 10:39 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 327 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by XLR82XS
What about petroleum required to manufacturer, toothbrushes, toys, plastics, tools, etc....? Will demand change in 25, 50, 100 years?
So, here is as good a data point as any on that question. The "Industrial" curve includes petroleum for chemical and plastics manufacturing. Again, this is my guess - but some of this forward demand will be satisfied by alt-energy sources (electricity to operate manufacturing facilities, for example) - but raw-materials demand and industrial sector growth will compensate for a fall in demand in transportation, and likely supports flat to moderate growth in supply through 2050.

Source: https://www.eia.gov/outlooks/aeo/con...b-topic-01.php

EDIT - for those looking for more information on this subject, other good sources (Full Disclaimer - have worked with, and know some of the folks that put these together, and they work hard to get it right in an apolitical, unbiased way):
BP Annual Energy Outlook: https://www.bp.com/en/global/corpora...y-outlook.html
Exxon Energy Outlook: https://corporate.exxonmobil.com/Ene...2025%20percent.

Last edited by 911-TOUR; 02-04-2021 at 10:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
fnckr (02-06-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 11:04 PM
DanQ
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwexpat
As a 40 year owner of a classic Porsche, I disagree with the majority of posters on this thread. Long term ownership of the right Porsche is not an investment in the same sense as a stock portfolio or other financial instruments, but it is a store of disposable income or value or over time. Long term ownership would compare to owning a house, collectable art or any other collectables that have actual value. Myself, I’ve looked at long term ownership as having a saving account that I get to have fun with, make memories with and pleasantly watch the values increase as the years rolled by.

First of all I believe the 991 series will do very well as a favored series as time goes on. The 991 was a watershed product when first announced in 2013. It elevated the 911 to new levels of power, comfort, drivability and safety. Overall the 991 series seems to be universally loved by Porsche people. For long term value, this is a key metric.

Most people don’t keep any car for more than 5 years, so they don’t care what happens to values over time. As a long time owner here is what to expect:

· Years 0 to 5-6 – Worst years of depreciation – figure at the end of year 6 a 991 is worth roughly 45% of MSRP.

· Years 6-15 – Overall valuations stay flat. Depreciation is done. However, this is where a lot of “regular Joe’s” come into the market space. They can afford to buy a used Porsche but can’t keep up the required maintenance. Thus a significant portion of the car population degrades into poor condition plus a few just get destroyed in accidents along the way. This is where the values of excellently maintained vehicles really start to separate themselves from their poorly maintained breathern.

· Years 15- Forever - A series of jumps up, plateau’s in value and some dips in value over time. Overall the trend is up. How far up anyone’s guess but the main reason you own the car is is you still enjoy it. At 15 years+ it’ now gotten to the point where it’s different from anything new. Different is good. These are also the years where key models such at the T, GTS and Turbo S separate themselves from their more common sisters in accelerated values.

Today I agree with your statements. In fact, I've taken advantage of this with long term ownership of a few cars that I enjoyed and "made" (i.e. sold for more than I paid for) money on.
65 Corvette.
67 Corvette
62 Jaguar E type
95 porsche 993.
06 Ford GT (never selling)

BUT, what about 20 years from now? What if gas was $10-20/gal? I think the question in this thread is will past ICE results guarantee future returns? Long term, I'm not sure. I think we could be coming to a cross road. EV performance is so high now. The new tesla has 0-60 under 2 seconds! Weight is a problem that isn't going away and that means handling isn't going to compete, but improvements in suspension tech may improve that too.

Will your kids look at the transition from gas to EV cars like your great grand parents looked at the transition from horse drawn buggies to gas cars?

Last edited by DanQ; 02-04-2021 at 11:18 PM.
Old 02-05-2021, 12:01 AM
My991
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

No time to read all these great posts but don’t we need coal to support the need for this increased electrical demand? What’s the environmental cost of increased use of coal? A Neighbor (Tesla) spent $75k on solar panels on his roof and still his monthly housing electric costs is the same as mine (Porsche) What’s the TCO and ROI on that? I don’t think anyone has totally thought this out except those (Elon) padding their pockets.

Last edited by My991; 02-05-2021 at 12:04 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by My991:
fastforddriver (02-05-2021), fnckr (02-06-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 01:56 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by My991
No time to read all these great posts but don’t we need coal to support the need for this increased electrical demand? What’s the environmental cost of increased use of coal? A Neighbor (Tesla) spent $75k on solar panels on his roof and still his monthly housing electric costs is the same as mine (Porsche) What’s the TCO and ROI on that? I don’t think anyone has totally thought this out except those (Elon) padding their pockets.
A lot of variables, but in my case:

Just added solar to our roof. Bought it and financed it over 10 years. System build to 112% of our use worked out to $11 more a month than our average PG&E bill at 2020 rates, which are sure to go up—particularly over 10 years. Thereafter, we don't have an electricity bill on a system with a 25-year warranty and a 35-40 year service life—and there's a decent shot our solar will offset some of our natural gas bill. A primary driver for us was no more dependency on PG&E, and so we added a home battery as well—a safeguard for an 88yo in our home as well as our business.

Back to your question: They left a pigtail should we add an EV down the road—I'm not there yet—and said six more panels should be sufficient to keep an EV charged. I don't remember the estimate, but it wasn't much now that the rest of the work has been done. YMMV, and this won't work out as nicely lots of places, but our house is hardly unusual here—and there are sunnier places for sure.

Last edited by stout; 02-05-2021 at 01:57 AM.
Old 02-05-2021, 02:06 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,201 Likes on 579 Posts

bmwexpat - brilliantly stated. If you weren't an English Lit major, you should have been.
Old 02-05-2021, 03:14 AM
WolfDenShoebox
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 33 Posts

I can see the concern for coal, but coal no longer produces the majority of electricity across the United States. It definitely has a prominent presence in several areas across the US (northern States and West Virginia), but I do think the trend is to move off the dependency on coal. There is a natural move (this is, the business side of things and not driven by regulation) off of coal for several different reasons and "Clean Coal" is honestly impossible as it has been advertised and marketed to the public. The cost of building a "clean coal" plant is seriously heinous and there is no real business case for it.

I think as EV's become proliferated throughout our culture; we will see a natural shift towards renewable energy and production. I definitely support this move as I believe in our planet's survival, but I'm going to by a bit hypocritical and enjoy my life ripping on a 991.
Old 02-05-2021, 09:21 AM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 692 Likes on 452 Posts

I own P-cars and daily drive a Tesla Model 3. Doing the math for solar installation with my S. Florida home energy needs it doesn't make financial sense. I would take ~20+ years to pay off that I may not be living there anymore. FWIW: Model 3 is plugged in whenever in the garage and I exclusively charge off-peak hours. (10pm-6am) My electric bill has not gone up drastically.

I check my electric bill monthly and compared every month including pre-Tesla ownership. It's pennies per month. (~$0.75)

Quick Reply: Can 911s or any ICE “collectibles” maintain value?