Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can 911s or any ICE “collectibles” maintain value?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2021, 11:44 PM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by 911-TOUR
I happen to work in the Oil & Gas Industry. Global energy and chemical demand will ensure that gasoline and distillates are available for the next 50 years (at least). Prices will likely rise dramatically as demand outstrips (governmentally / environmentally) limited supply. My own guess is that we can transition to solar/nuclear/wind + thermal battery over the next 50-100 years, and much opportunity will result from the resulting innovation.

Having driven the Taycan and various high-performance Teslas - electric is (going to be) just as compelling as ICE - if not as loud - but energy density has to improve a bit from where it is now.

Just my 2 bits.
I agree. To date, there is not enough available electricity to charge a world of electric cars.

Old 02-01-2021, 07:46 PM
DanQ
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by fnckr
...snip
Is the long-term and historically stable value of a 911 at jeopardy, in light of ICE alternatives?
Interesting question. I'm going to say the value of ICE collectibles may be impacted. As long as the alternative vehicles are still fun to drive. Will old millennials want a 40 year old 991? I doubt it.

I'm considering this car to replace my 2015 C2S in a year or so. Aptera is a 3 wheeled electric car with a 1000 mile range. 3.5s 0 to 60. Should be available in 2022. I've reserved a 3 hub motor, 600 mile version for ~$35,000

It should be more challenging to drive than a 991 and just as fast.
It seats 2 and has storage for 2 golf bags so I can still take it on car vacations. I doubt I could track it, but I'm getting too old for that. I'm not a fan of hybrids, (too complicated), but this is being marketed as home repairable.

​​I'm a gear head and ex-racer but this is the first thing that makes me think there is fun in the "electric" future.

Here is a link if you are interested in reserving your own. It will save you $30 off the regular refundable $100 fee. Reserve your Aptera

Last edited by DanQ; 02-01-2021 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-02-2021, 11:17 AM
dd356
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by HkPlinker
I agree. To date, there is not enough available electricity to charge a world of electric cars.
Another bigger and more important issue is the military will not go away from fossil fuels in my opinion for the foreseeable future for obvious reasons. Wars and military exercises cannot be halted for lack of electricity and battery power. Fossil fuels are very portable in terms of being self sufficient and not needing outside assistance. Sure they will use blends of alternatives, but whether it's military or emergency backup with groups like FEMA worldwide that's a big sticking point. Actual autos i believe only account for about 25% of the carbon issue to begin with. You get into peripheral issues like the size and economic clout of the collector and sports car business and i don't see it going away in our lifetimes. Probably get more expensive and hard to find service resources(as in some cases it is today), but there will always be a market for it in my opinion. Just wait for an economic downturn, these energy alternatives generally take a political beating when jobs and economics are in play.

Last edited by dd356; 02-02-2021 at 11:19 AM.
Old 02-02-2021, 11:36 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,320 Likes on 613 Posts

^ Agreed.

I don't see fuel going away in the foreseeable future, even if new ICE is no longer available for sale in many markets after 2035. There are too many reasons running counter to that.

With that said, I am open to EVs for things like local delivery trucks, local trades (contractors, electricians, plumbers), local govt vehicles, school buses, and daily cars in the urban grind—particularly wherever rooftop solar and year-round sunshine or other renewables can support them. Gotta start somewhere, and heavier vehicles are a good place as the batteries add less weight as a %.

But also agree that other sources need to be targeted—with air travel being a biggie. One can argue it's too cheap, and while I miss travel for fun, I don't miss traveling for business once or twice a month—C-19 has shown it largely unnecessary, and hugely wasteful. And adding emissions equipment to aircraft is likely a nonstarter. Boats might be another matter, and we could certainly do more with rail—which is ultra efficient. And nicer on our Interstates to boot. The condition of I-5 and 99 are downright shocking at times.

All this to say, I hope to be driving air- and water-cooled flat sixes for a very long time to come…and anything that buys more runway for that is good with me.

Last edited by stout; 02-02-2021 at 11:37 AM.
Old 02-02-2021, 11:53 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 2,063 Likes on 975 Posts

When I think of the future of 911 (confirmed by Porsche to be a combination of electric + Turbo hybrid) these remaining N/A cars are going to seem vintage like the aircooled cars.

NOT talking in terms of money or value, just in terms of technology and nostalgia. Hope I get to keep the N/A for a long time, although I may swap the PDK for a manual even if comes at a cost of GTS to "S" swap.
Old 02-02-2021, 12:48 PM
dd356
Racer

You're going to eventually see traditional gas stations have both chargers and fuel side by side if it isn't already happening and it will just be another option in my estimation. Electric is great, but when s.it hits the fan, you have to go back to good old fire and fuel for a lot of things like survival. Much bigger undertaking than electric vehicles. The politicians like AOC and the gang or posse or whatever they call themselves would like struggle to open the hood of a car let alone understand the issues involved when things do not work or are not available. I'm sure the green new deal looks great on paper, but it's a GROSS simplification brought by people who do not know the nuts and bolts of many of these issues.

Last edited by dd356; 02-02-2021 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-02-2021, 01:21 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 2,063 Likes on 975 Posts

Originally Posted by dd356
You're going to eventually see traditional gas stations have both chargers and fuel side by side if it isn't already happening and it will just be another option in my estimation. Electric is great, but when s.it hits the fan, you have to go back to good old fire and fuel for a lot of things like survival. Much bigger undertaking than electric vehicles. The politicians like AOC and the gang or posse or whatever they call themselves would like struggle to open the hood of a car let alone understand the issues involved when things do not work or are not available. I'm sure the green new deal looks great on paper, but it's a GROSS simplification brought by people who do not know the nuts and bolts of many of these issues.

excuse my language but JE$S$ FvCking CHri$t.. cannot click on any thread without the misery and scum bucket of Politics

may be thats where we are now as a people.. For Fuchs Sake!!! I need to take a break from this BS and people who see everything from political blindfolds

People seriously need to reevaluate their life and the rabbit hole they have unknowingly allowed themselves to fall into..
The following users liked this post:
BradtheAg (02-02-2021)
Old 02-02-2021, 04:25 PM
slingshot60
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by desmotesta
excuse my language but JE$S$ FvCking CHri$t.. cannot click on any thread without the misery and scum bucket of Politics

may be thats where we are now as a people.. For Fuchs Sake!!! I need to take a break from this BS and people who see everything from political blindfolds

People seriously need to reevaluate their life and the rabbit hole they have unknowingly allowed themselves to fall into..
Much as I hate politics creeping into an automotive enthusiast's forum... have to disagree. Unfortunately there is one specific political group that is wanting to force EV's down our throat whether we want them or not and they need to be called out on it. I personally dread the forced move to EV's like the plague. If I lived in a more 'population dense' area and rarely drove more than 200--250 miles in a day they would work fine. Out here in the wide open areas of West Texas (like much of the middle of the country) they just don't. Maybe when the technology matures so EV's can travel 500+ miles on a charge and the infrastructure is built out with adequate rapid charging locations with enough chargers for everyone the situation will be different. Just don't like the government 'mandating' our choices. Improve the technology to where it is truly competitive or superior with ICE vehicles and the problem will be solved.
dd356 (02-02-2021)
Old 02-02-2021, 04:40 PM
WolfDenShoebox
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by DanQ
Interesting question. I'm going to say the value of ICE collectibles may be impacted. As long as the alternative vehicles are still fun to drive. Will old millennials want a 40 year old 991? I doubt it.

I'm considering this car to replace my 2015 C2S in a year or so. Aptera is a 3 wheeled electric car with a 1000 mile range. 3.5s 0 to 60. Should be available in 2022. I've reserved a 3 hub motor, 600 mile version for ~$35,000

It seats 2 and has storage for 2 golf bags so I can still take it on car vacations. I doubt I could track it, but I'm getting too old for that. I'm not a fan of hybrids, (too complicated), but this is being marketed as home repairable.

​​I'm a gear head and ex-racer but this is the first thing that makes me think there is fun in the "electric" future.

Here is a link if you are interested in reserving your own. It will save you $30 off the regular refundable $100 fee. Reserve your Aptera
Seems like a cool concept, but I've seen way too many of these start ups pitch amazing concepts and ideas and then fail as vaporware or fail to deliver.

Aptera has already liquidated in 2011 and only showed up on the RADAR again in 2019. It is increasingly difficult for any startup to manufacture EV's at scale... hell, it's challenging for small boutique start ups to manufacture their boutique ICE kit cars.

We all saw how Elio went and they took deposits for their concept promising 6 to 18 months time frame for delivery since 2013 and we all know how that ended up.

I sincerely hope they deliver your vehicle to you because the Aptera EV looks pretty cool, especially in matte black.
Old 02-03-2021, 03:00 AM
DanQ
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfDenShoebox
Seems like a cool concept, but I've seen way too many of these start ups pitch amazing concepts and ideas and then fail as vaporware or fail to deliver.

Aptera has already liquidated in 2011 and only showed up on the RADAR again in 2019. It is increasingly difficult for any startup to manufacture EV's at scale... hell, it's challenging for small boutique start ups to manufacture their boutique ICE kit cars.

We all saw how Elio went and they took deposits for their concept promising 6 to 18 months time frame for delivery since 2013 and we all know how that ended up.

I sincerely hope they deliver your vehicle to you because the Aptera EV looks pretty cool, especially in matte black.
Correct, but the 2011 Aptera group refunded deposits. The reformed Aptera is the original principals getting the band back together after the investment group changed the direction and failed. They are being careful with funding to not lose control of the direction again. I'm willing to risk the $100. With the improvements in technology (batteries, hub motors) the new Aptera is much simpler, as they dropped the hybrid idea and are full EV. I think they are taking a much better approach to streamlining assembly by working Sandy Munro too.

Sorry, I think I might be getting off topic, except for letting people know that 600-1000 mile electric cars are a year away. For commuters, it can go 25-45 miles per day on just solar cell power without plugging in.

Will it replace a 991? Not sure yet. It won't have a manual trans. 😊

Last edited by DanQ; 02-03-2021 at 03:05 AM.
Old 02-03-2021, 07:53 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 444 Likes on 317 Posts
Default Oil Industry -100 years

I would agree 100% with below. 100's of millions are paid to politicians on both sides of the aisle to ensure nothing happens to fossil fuels. 100 years from now when we are all dust clean energy to run cars and houses may be a thing. Some countries like California may transition faster. When I look out my window at my 5kw solar array the answer seems so easy, but I do get the internal combustion violent allure.

I happen to work in the Oil & Gas Industry. Global energy and chemical demand will ensure that gasoline and distillates are available for the next 50 years (at least). Prices will likely rise dramatically as demand outstrips (governmentally / environmentally) limited supply. My own guess is that we can transition to solar/nuclear/wind + thermal battery over the next 50-100 years, and much opportunity will result from the resulting innovation.

Having driven the Taycan and various high-performance Teslas - electric is (going to be) just as compelling as ICE - if not as loud - but energy density has to improve a bit from where it is now.

Just my 2 bits.
Old 02-03-2021, 08:00 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 444 Likes on 317 Posts
Default No interior pics = not real

Several of these kicstarters have gone belly up. If they existed I would buy one.

Originally Posted by DanQ

Old 02-03-2021, 08:48 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,089 Posts

I am amazed by a couple of things:
- that this thread made it three pages without being moved to P&C
- the number of folks that think ‘the market’ is what’s causing the rise of the EV at the expense of the ICE.

Old 02-03-2021, 11:04 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 327 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by dd356
You're going to eventually see traditional gas stations have both chargers and fuel side by side
So - I've looked into the economics of this in depth as part of my day job. It turns out to be very hard to make *any* money selling electricity at the roadside. Capital costs are very high, and demand is very uncertain when everyone can fill up at home. It probably works for a large regional-, or national-scale network along interstates and major secondaries, but the mom-and-pop owned stations cannot make the numbers work.

Again, just my 2 bits.
XLR82XS (02-04-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 11:29 PM
dd356
Racer

So - I've looked into the economics of this in depth as part of my day job. It turns out to be very hard to make *any* money selling electricity at the roadside. Capital costs are very high, and demand is very uncertain when everyone can fill up at home. It probably works for a large regional-, or national-scale network along interstates and major secondaries, but the mom-and-pop owned stations cannot make the numbers work.

Again, just my 2 bits.
It's definitely an issue. Question is will technology make it more attractive retail wise in the future. Gas stations do not make a lot of money off gas now. That's why they sell everything and the kitchen sink. They've become mini Walmarts in a lot of areas.
XLR82XS (02-04-2021)

Quick Reply: Can 911s or any ICE “collectibles” maintain value?