New here... 991 and 996 questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2021, 11:08 AM
mattyc200
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default New here... 991 and 996 questions

Hi Everyone,
I am new here and not doing so great with first posts. Just posted the following in "New members section" and realized that was wrong. Is there a way to cross post between two forums? 996 and 991? See below. Since I can't figure out how to cross post... bringing the 991 question to top and will also post in 996 section. Or should I be using another forum?:

Text for 991 question (full post under picture for people enquiring minds):

"Why am I here: My cousins husband passed away at 55 (heart). They live in my town (Sudbury MA). He had a 1999 996 Convertible with a Flat-6 Innovations Performance 1 engine AND a 2013 Porsche 911 Convertible bone stock with lower miles (56K). The 996 is now mine (more below). I will help cousin sell 2013- we have interest but not where we want to be $. I am looking for; 1. Advice on options with 996, and 2. Questions about sale price on 2013, where to list, etc.

2013 Porsche 911. 56K miles and perfect. Purchased used and dealer maintained at Nashua Porsche. Black ext gray interior. My family buying it- Doesn't fit my financial goals nor lifestyle. Also conflict of interest in terms of best deal for cousins kids which is where the money will go. With that said, how is the reliability? Are there known issues to look for if I choose to make a really dumb decision? If I sell... I have a history of success on Ebay. The prices are all over the map. I typically search completed auctions and use successful sales as benchmark. Most likely I will throw it on there in 2 months. We are waiting for probate courts. I am thinking I start the auction at low trade in? I have not looked at Classified section here... will do that when I press save. Will most likely publish here as well. Thoughts on pricing and any suggestions on places to list/sell/or drive interest? Local meets in MA area?

Full post for those that are interested:

Hi Everyone! Trying my damndest to be succinct and will fail. A friend of mine recommended this Forum. My first post is in "New Member" but should probably go straight to 996 or a new section "Frugal people that shouldn't own a Porsche".

Why am I here: My cousins husband passed away at 55 (heart). They live in my town (Sudbury MA). He had a 1999 996 Convertible with a Flat-6 Innovations Performance 1 engine AND a 2013 Porsche 911 Convertible bone stock with lower miles (56K). The 996 is now mine (more below). I will help cousin sell 2013- we have interest but not where we want to be $. I am looking for; 1. Advice on options with 996, and 2. Questions about sale price on 2013, where to list, etc.

About Me: Important for 996 part. I grew up in suburb of STL. My first car was a non-running 1974 Porsche 914 that my dad and I bought for $700 when I was 14. Spent 2 years as father/son project (fantastic). It was hot from far and far from hot. 10 years later, bought an H1 Hummer on Ebay that needed a front driver axle AND had other small issues. Flew from Boston to LA with an axle- no other baggage. Had seller tow H1 (2 man pickup) to home depot parking lot- bought cheap tools, swapped axle in less than an hour and drove it 65 MPH back to Boston. Drove it around Boston for 4 years. Literally dozens of notes left on window telling me I was evil. Bought a salvage Jeep TJ and a clean title non-runner. Did complete frame swap parting extras for a very discounted custom Jeep. Had kids... all of that is gone. Why is the above important? I know a bit about cars and enjoy working on them. I also do take some risk... but am MUCH more practical now days and way more impatient now that I have kids and minimal time... and other projects.

996: 115K miles. Beautiful car. Its a mess. Windows don't work (won't go down- fuses are fine), Top doesn't work (dash light blinks -won't go down- fuses are fine), 2012 Top leaks (which probably flooded interior and body control box under driver seat causing the other electric issues?), and the single biggest concern: The $19K "Flat 6 innovations" engine (car shipped to GA for instal after bore score on original) fowls a plug and burns oil like crazy (1 quart per fill-up). It also seems to miss at low RPM and run fine at higher RPM- it could still be missing but less obvious. There is black soot on passenger side bumper above exhaust. Car passes inspection when plug is cleaned on bad cylinder. Maybe a ring? This car was given to me. My cost is null. I have all receipts since 2012 (close to 40K in receipts when engine is included). My cousin's husband was not mechanically inclined at all and paid for all service. I have driven the car through 1.5 tanks. Even with engine issue, its fast and fun. The handling is superb... way better than my 2019 Tahoe and Outback (Joke). From reading the 996 forums, the engine seems like a wormhole. Engine 1 failed. Engine 2, built by a pro, has something major wrong with it with less than 50K miles. All of this in 115K total miles on clock. I have found great advice in 996 forum on electronics. I will post questions there on each of the existing threads. Bigger question- what to do with it:

1. Sell it as is without spending a dime: How much? I would simply give all the money to cousins kids- all of them have worked for me at one time and I have given them cars for their "Hard work" (honda/toyota).
2. Add myself to insurance to avoid a sale, drive the daylights out of it until it dies then throw on CL or eBay: How much of a loss from 1st idea? How long can a car drive like this before self destruct?
3. Drop the engine, sell 996 Engine.. (how much?), and... here it comes gents, the fight of the day, do an LS engine swap over the next couple years. Probably give up and have neighbors complain about yard art. I can't fathom putting another 996 engine in it... even sinking money into repairing it doesn't seem wise.

Next subject: 2013 Porsche 911. 56K miles and perfect. Purchased used and dealer maintained at Nashua Porsche. Black ext gray interior. My family buying it- not going to happen. Doesn't fit my financial goals nor lifestyle. Also conflict of interest in terms of best deal for cousins kids which is where the money will go. I have a history of success on Ebay. The prices are all over the map. I typically search completed auctions and use successful sales as benchmark. Most likely I will throw it on there in 2 months. We are waiting for probate courts. I am thinking I start the auction at low trade in? I have not looked at Classified section here... will do that when I press save. Thoughts on pricing and any suggestions on places to list/sell/or drive interest?

Thank you in advance for any feedback... especially on the 996.

-Matt
Old 01-23-2021, 12:01 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 630 Posts

Take to Carmax and Carvana and take the best deal. The difference you'll get there vs private party won't be enough to matter - especially if that is already being divided and your time is worth something.
The following 2 users liked this post by garfunkle:
koala (01-23-2021), Spaetzl (01-23-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 12:44 PM
mattyc200
AutoX

Thank you. And... you just reminded me of another auto-broker my daughter goes to school with. I didn't think of reaching out to him.
Old 01-23-2021, 01:15 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

If you keep the 996, I have window regulators, a top and motors for sale plus more to make the windows and top all functioning. I am turning my 996 I inherited from my step dad dying into a fully caged track car.
Old 01-23-2021, 01:33 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 535 Posts

If you are thinking of staring at low trade in, then you must be ok with that price. What are eBay fees for this car sale? You might get a few thousand above trade in price. Dealer would take it in and spend hundreds maybe a bit more to get it to look nice. If you have records of maintenance, then a private sale sounds good.
Old 01-23-2021, 06:00 PM
goose1207
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello from a fellow MA resident. Look into listing the 991 on bringatrailer.com If it's in good shape and you have all of the service records, you'll get top dollar there. I have an '03 996 C4 6 speed cabrio that I plan on listing there soon.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:34 AM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

Unfortunately, all of these cars inherently require TLC, and there is no such thing as a free or inexpensive Porsche.

There are some people who get stressed about the idea of a large financial repair. A buddy with a Jag XKR that he bought used that was actually quite reliable sold it because the idea of having to repair the car stopped him from enjoying it. He had the resources. Just did not want to have to repair it. He read forums about all of the bad things that might happen and dumped it once the warranty was up.

To get top dollars from either in a sale may require a PPI and the outlay of some cash.

They both seem like nice cars. If you love the 996 and it is a car you are attached to everything is fixable.

If not, I would sell them both at Carmax etc and call it a day. Loss vs max potential is probably not much.

When/if you want a Porsche you can buy the car you want in the condition you want.

Old 01-24-2021, 01:13 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Just my .02: Educated potential 991.1 buyers look at what equipment it got. You can use Vin Analytical's website to enter the VIN number and check what options there are. From the picture it looks like a base 991.1 with the optional sports exhaust. Potential buyers also look at the center console buttons to see what options are in the car, as well as whether there is a central clock (which shows the sports chrono option).

Also, if you want top $ for a higher mileage car (which is what that car is), you have to show well-documented service records. Some potential buyers prefer a well serviced record over a low mileage car with spotty records. Issues that a potential buyer may ask: Is the heater and sports exhaust working (to show whether the changeover valves are working); are the top door panels warping? have the recent safety advisory bulletin been done? if it is a manual, they may want to see the rpm record to see if over-rpm happened.

The earlier 991.1 cars have basically reached the bottom of the depreciation curve. I believe it is mileage that is a factor right now.

Last edited by visitador; 01-24-2021 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-24-2021, 02:30 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 430 Likes on 307 Posts
Default Here carmax is your answer

You will get less money but not have any out of pocket or headaches. They will wholesale. Everyone wins. Flea bay has become as bad as craigslist for crappy buyers and shill bids. Not in any way worth the risk.
Old 01-25-2021, 03:57 AM
WolfDenShoebox
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 33 Posts

Looks like the 991 has sports exhaust (dual tail pipes on base 991) and the Sport Chrono package (little hump in the middle of the dashboard in first pic) with clear taillights.

Decent options for someone looking for a base cab. I don't think the mileage is that big of an issue as people may make it out to be on here. Yes, the average buyer who is not a Porsche enthusiast is not going to want a 53k mile out of warranty 911 so they're not really your target demographic. Getting top dollar for your car is going to require service history and a lot of patience as you'll need to sell to the enthusiast community and it may be months before someone comes along willing to give you the best offer for it.

If you're not willing to wait, then offload to Carvana or Vroom.
Old 03-08-2021, 08:32 AM
mattyc200
AutoX

Default Decision made- selling 991 and keeping 996

Hi Everyone, Putting closure on this post- I have decided to keep the 996. Its a hot mess... but its ok for a 3rd car. I got the top to go down which was the decision maker. I am selling my cousins 2013 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Its posted on ebay now. Almost mint and serviced under CPO last fall. Please let me know if you have questions. http://ebay.us/2tmCqR?cmpnId=5338273189

-Matt

Quick Reply: New here... 991 and 996 questions