Sponsored by:

991 convertible with kids in back

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2021, 05:03 PM
uphoto
Pro

Received 317 Likes on 134 Posts
Default 991 convertible with kids in back

Quick question for those of you who own a convertible and have kids that you shoehorn into the back

How is it with the top down? Do they complain about the wind? Or is that low seating position and high back front seat, keep them isolated from wind?

Hard to take a little one (7 and 3) on test drives and trying to see if we would be okay with a convertible or would a targa be better protection for them. I can afford more car in convertible trim than a targa so that sound more appealing to me.
Old 01-20-2021, 05:11 PM
BradtheAg
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Sadly I don't think the back seat is usable in the targa with the top down. Just learned this in the last week and was pretty bummed because I badly want a targa but also have two little ones. See pictures 16 and 17 in this bringatrailer ad for a targa: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...11-targa-4s-3/

If I am incorrect someone please correct me, would love to be wrong about this one.
Old 01-20-2021, 05:16 PM
SealGrey997
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Top down Targa looks usable to me.
Attached Images  
Old 01-20-2021, 05:24 PM
uphoto
Pro

Originally Posted by BradtheAg
Sadly I don't think the back seat is usable in the targa with the top down. Just learned this in the last week and was pretty bummed because I badly want a targa but also have two little ones. See pictures 16 and 17 in this bringatrailer ad for a targa: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...11-targa-4s-3/

If I am incorrect someone please correct me, would love to be wrong about this one.
I know headroom is a bit more limited but don't see why the backseat doesn't work for kids in the Targa.
Old 01-20-2021, 05:28 PM
BradtheAg
Instructor

To me it looked like the top portion of the rear seats were leaning forward a bit to fit the top in there. Are they always in that position?
Old 01-20-2021, 05:33 PM
uphoto
Pro

To me it looked like the top portion of the rear seats were leaning forward a bit to fit the top in there. Are they always in that position?
Yes, convertible and targa seats are more upright compared to the coupe.
Old 01-20-2021, 05:35 PM
BradtheAg
Instructor

Ah ok. My mistake, have only ever been in a coupe. Apologies for the confusion.
Old 01-20-2021, 06:00 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 408 Posts

I love the look of the Targa and want it for my next one, but I have a 997 cab and can chime in here as to why a Targa wouldn’t work (for me now)...my kid loves to ride in the back with his hands up in the air when I’m at speed as if he’s on a roller coaster. When he does that, I can see people in other cars behind me smiling. Can’t do that with a Targa and all that glass and roll bar above ya.
The following users liked this post:
uphoto (01-20-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 06:31 PM
Gonzalo38
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I do have a 991.2 convertible and when needed, my wife and teen daughter ride in the back seats. Is not the most comfortable for them but they can still go around for a drive around the city without a problem. For longer trips..... forget it.

Regarding wind..... yeah... the hair goes crazy but I guess is normal in any convertible. For smaller kids shouldn't be such a big problem.
Old 01-20-2021, 08:41 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

look at pics 115 - 119
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...11-targa-4s-3/
BradtheAg (01-20-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 11:32 PM
Icebreaker
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 66 Posts

I have a 2018 Targa and you can definitely use the back seats with the top off. The bigger problem would be that the rear seat passengers would be looking at either the seat back or the Targa bar. The convertible would be more fun as a rear seat passenger with the top up. Top down - it would be a draw. Wind buffeting... it might not be so bad in a convertible because you sit low in the rear seats. I would gladly lend you my car to try, but I am in Nova Scotia. Winter hats are required right now. Honestly, just ask a dealer to help you out. They are very gracious to these kind of situations. Try both! My biggest regret was that I was talked out of a 911 when my son was small. The dealer got into a fight with my wife over not wanting to order a cobalt blue coupe with blue leather interior. It was a dark day that I can't recapture. Follow your dream!! Just find a 911 and your kids will love it no matter what.
uphoto (01-21-2021)
Old 01-21-2021, 05:36 AM
Colvin84
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by uphoto
Quick question for those of you who own a convertible and have kids that you shoehorn into the back

How is it with the top down? Do they complain about the wind? Or is that low seating position and high back front seat, keep them isolated from wind?

Hard to take a little one (7 and 3) on test drives and trying to see if we would be okay with a convertible or would a targa be better protection for them. I can afford more car in convertible trim than a targa so that sound more appealing to me.
My kids are 9 and 6 and they love the backseat. If its too windy on highway, I roll up the windows.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:55 AM
macanakey
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by uphoto
I know headroom is a bit more limited but don't see why the backseat doesn't work for kids in the Targa.
They grow.

Old 01-21-2021, 11:29 AM
Josh(PA)
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Colvin84
My kids are 9 and 6 and they love the backseat. If its too windy on highway, I roll up the windows.
I've ridden in the back of mine to try it out. The wind was much less of an issue than the upright backrest, and lack of leg room. For small kids, it is doable especially as Colvin notes if the kids like the idea of it. The airflow management in the 911 is good compared to other (BMW) convertibles I've owned. With the windows up, they buffetting in the back isn't too bad.

Quick Reply: 991 convertible with kids in back