Sponsored by:

Bridgestone Potenza s007 vs s007a vs Michelin PS4S

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 09:47 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Bridgestone Potenza s007 vs s007a vs Michelin PS4S

Potenza s007 was designed for Ferrari Berlinetta and is available in Porsche spec for Centerlock OEM TTS size. Recently Bridgestone released s007a, which is cheaper than s007 and available in different sizes to serve the wider market
https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/bridgestone-potenza-s007a-public-availability

In my 997 days I was driving couple sets of Potenza REO50A and they were good.

And then there are beloved Michelins.

I am interested in a comparison reviews of the above tires and esp. S007 vs PS4S, as s007 are more expensive, so I have my expectations high.

s007a are cheaper. Not sure ihow they compare to Michelins either.

Any inputs?
Old 10-23-2018, 11:07 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Looks like the Bridgestone is too new to have been tested by Tire Rack. I can speak from experience that between the PS4S N0, P Zero, and ExtremeContact Sport, the PS4S is leaps and bound better than either in every way. Obviously just my opinion, of course. Doesn’t help you with the Bridgestone side of the equation, but if you have to buy now I’d recommend the Michelins with ease. Can always get the Bridgestones next time if they end up surpassing the (known to be excellent) PS4S N0.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:18 PM
jnolan
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 47 Posts

I have the Potenza S007 on one my cars and Michelin MP4S on two others, one is my GTS. The Michelins are superior to the P-zeros and S007 on treadwear and, probably, equivalent on grip but I don’t have any track time on them yet. I just switched my GTS from P-zeros to the Michelins last week. The S007 feels like it has a softer sidewall.

On balance, I’ll take the MP4S over the Bridgestones. The P-zero is a good tire, I would be happy with them again if I couldn’t get the Michelins.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:55 AM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 76 Posts

I purchased a set of PS4S to replace the OEM P-Zeros. For me the sidewalls feel stiffer on the new tires, but the ride seems equivalent. It's difficult to know if there's a difference in sound levels because the Pirelli's had worn down to nearly 2/32 in the rear and a little below 5/32 in front and were noisy as a result, whereas the Michelins being new are at their quietest. However in the handling department the PS4S are superior if only from my experience on a regularly taken on-ramp. It's a cloverleaf style ramp that I could take at up to 55 mph with the P-Zeros, and now with the Michelins I've been as high as 61 mph so far. They also feel more planted than the Pirellis. I'm not driving at the limit of course, but the grip of the Michelins feels clearly greater, as well as measurably better, than the Pirellis. I didn't feel this much difference between the Pirellis and the Michelin Super Sports on my 991.1.
That said, I have no experience with the Bridgestones, but I've always been happy with Michelin tires, so I'll stick with them.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:55 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the replies.
jnolan, interesting you said s007 has a softer than MP4S sidewall. From what I gather, if anything, the s007 is harder wall at expense of the ride comfort.
And I found a review from autocross guy who claims that s007a is wearing off faster than Michelin with autocross performance being very much equal. However, I am interested in s007 comparison and your input is valuable.
Old 10-24-2018, 02:14 AM
jnolan
Pro

Originally Posted by Papa Fittig
Thanks for the replies.
jnolan, interesting you said s007 has a softer than MP4S sidewall. From what I gather, if anything, the s007 is harder wall at expense of the ride comfort.
And I found a review from autocross guy who claims that s007a is wearing off faster than Michelin with autocross performance being very much equal. However, I am interested in s007 comparison and your input is valuable.
@Papa Fittig I have the S007s on my Ferrari and that car has Magneride suspension, which I find much more dynamic than the GTS even though the car is 420 lbs heavier. I think this helps explain why I don’t notice harsher ride. The Bridgestones are, in my case, a more comfortable and quiet tire than the Michelins, but I think it is really hard to compare apples to apples given the differences of the cars they are on. I’m not surprised that the treadwear is not up to the MP4S, which I think are 300 rated vs 240 for the S007. The Porsche is 35 series up front, 30 rear, while the Ferrari is 35 all around, so probably not much of a difference. The MP4S has better grip on straightline performance over the S007, but rear tire width may explain some of that seat-of-the-pants feel.
Old 10-24-2018, 02:14 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
Looks like the Bridgestone is too new to have been tested by Tire Rack. I can speak from experience that between the PS4S N0, P Zero, and ExtremeContact Sport, the PS4S is leaps and bound better than either in every way. Obviously just my opinion, of course. Doesn’t help you with the Bridgestone side of the equation, but if you have to buy now I’d recommend the Michelins with ease. Can always get the Bridgestones next time if they end up surpassing the (known to be excellent) PS4S N0.
Originally Posted by Ski Porsche
I... I have no experience with the Bridgestones, but I've always been happy with Michelin tires, so I'll stick with them.
It is interesting how Michelin has dominated the Porsche OEM (Pirelli) tire replacement market. Like I said on another thread for those like me who are into F1, Bridgestone was head and shoulders above Pirelli (being 2-nd) and Michelin (distant 3-rd, as it has to quit the F1 race due to clearly being not competitive) back in a day. Don't take me wrong, I use Michelin tires on my cars and love them, however I am not ready to write Bridgestone off. s007 Tirerack price is $380 front / $580 rear vs PS4S $311 front / $429 rear... I am interested to see if there is an advantage for s007 to command the higher price tag beyond "Ferrari prestige" factor.
Old 10-24-2018, 02:22 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jnolan

@Papa Fittig I have the S007s on my Ferrari and that car has Magneride suspension, which I find much more dynamic than the GTS even though the car is 420 lbs heavier. I think this helps explain why I don’t notice harsher ride. The Bridgestones are, in my case, a more comfortable and quiet tire than the Michelins, but I think it is really hard to compare apples to apples given the differences of the cars they are on. I’m not surprised that the treadwear is not up to the MP4S, which I think are 300 rated vs 240 for the S007. The Porsche is 35 series up front, 30 rear, while the Ferrari is 35 all around, so probably not much of a difference. The MP4S has better grip on straightline performance over the S007, but rear tire width may explain some of that seat-of-the-pants feel.
Thanks jnolan for very useful insight. I did not notice that MP4S is 300 rated. That for sure is a difference vs 240. Also interesting to learn that straight line performance is better with MP4S...It again somewhat different from what I learn elsewhere. Anyway, perhaps I should go Michelin mainstream when my P0 replacement time comes (in a year or so), unless by then Tirerack will have a comparison review which would say otherwise.
Old 10-24-2018, 02:31 AM
jnolan
Pro

Something else to consider is the GT3 is shipping with Dunlop Sport Maxx Race 2 tires, but that’s stepping up to a streetable competition tire and I’m not sure I would want to run that (or the Pirelli Trofeo or Michelin Sport Cup 2) tire on a wet sump car. I swapped my GTS tires last week and noticed an immediate difference with the MP4S, but I’m predisposed to liking that tire because I run them on my AMG and have nothing but good things to say about them. The N0 version even has a curb guard.

As much as I like the Michelins for my GTS, I would be up for experimenting with the Bridgestones to see how I like them on that car. The worst case is that you don’t like them, replace early and sell them slightly used on eBay.
Old 10-24-2018, 04:35 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Yes, I am aware of Gt3s' Dunlops. I too would not go competition tire on my TTS which is my DD. And yes, I will consider trying s007. However, the thing is I am sure I will like the tire..
My GTS had new Pirellis when my C2S had 60%+ worn Michelins and I liked Pirellis better...Newer tire and better car..Not fair comparison.
My other 2 911s were on Bridgestones and Pirellis, but at different times, so tough to say again.

For objective comparison one would need to test them back to back and preferably on track, which is what Tirerack usually does for their reviews.

In lieu of that review I trust your opinion on s007, as you described noticeable differences and what you said made full sense. Much appreciated.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:20 PM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 76 Posts

Papa Fitig--I've had a number of Bridgestone performance tires--but not the models you're talking about. I used them on my S2000, '89 Carrera, and the Cayman S. They were terrific on road and track (sounds familiar) and priced reasonably. I also had the Dunlops on my GT4, they were okay. I've liked the performance and durability of the Michelins on the last couple of Porsches.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:46 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Thanks. I too had Bridgestones on my 997 C2s and BMWs. I liked them and would use them with no hesitation. However, I am very much interested in S007, as they supposed to be the max performance summer tire from the Bridgestone lineup. Lesser model - the S007A is positioned as an improved replacement for Potenza RE050A which was very good tire.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:11 PM
Davito
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bumping this thread to see if anybody has an update using S007A on a 991. I need to replace the MPSS on my 991S and these are $1028 a set compared to $1593 on the MP4S.
Is my weekend car and I put about 4k miles a year.

Cheers,
David
The following users liked this post:
HelpMeHelpU (10-22-2020)
Old 01-06-2019, 02:20 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 630 Posts

Michelin. Hands down. No contest.
The following users liked this post:
Nixin (01-22-2021)
Old 05-27-2019, 08:58 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Not mush experience with S007As I guess.

garfunkle, I assume you had the s007 or 007As and they did not hold to Michelins, correct? I'd like to get you opinion on why.

Here is a post on 007A performance
https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-rev...-potenza-72307

Like I said, although I like Michelins and have them on some of my cars, I am an old schol and remember how Bridgestones were superior to any other tire in Formula 1. And I had quite a few Bridgestones on my sperts cars over the years and I had no complains. So as I am approaching my P zeros replacement, I am considering the choices.

Quick Reply: Bridgestone Potenza s007 vs s007a vs Michelin PS4S