Sponsored by:

Complete service history?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2021, 10:07 PM
NHmacan
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 134 Posts
Default Complete service history?

Will a dealer provide a complete service history on a CPO car? My Macan is due for its interim service but it’s at 64,000 miles so I don’t know if it needs its 60k service or 70K. I had an issue with the dealer I bought it from not doing a service that I think should have been done. My understanding of CPO is that all prior service need to be up to date for them to certify so they should have the information and be able to send to me?
Old 01-18-2021, 10:37 PM
Catharpin
Burning Brakes

Received 555 Likes on 294 Posts

They provided me with a complete history before I bought it. I used that to make sure it was up to date, and even got them to perform additional service that was missing.
Old 01-19-2021, 09:28 AM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by NHmacan
Will a dealer provide a complete service history on a CPO car? My Macan is due for its interim service but it’s at 64,000 miles so I don’t know if it needs its 60k service or 70K. I had an issue with the dealer I bought it from not doing a service that I think should have been done. My understanding of CPO is that all prior service need to be up to date for them to certify so they should have the information and be able to send to me?
It all really depends on the dealer. If the vehicle was serviced by them, then they would more likely be willing to share the information. If it was serviced by a different dealer, then it would be up to them to try and obtain that info from other dealer. And your understanding about services being up to date is correct except that it only applies if the selling dealer is honest and ethical. I've seen it where a dealer is selling a CPO vehicle that they claim is up to CPO spec when I had it independently verified that it wasn't. My suggestion is that if you're not sure and don't feel confident in the information that the dealer is willing/able to provide, then err on the side of caution and go with the 60k service.
Old 01-19-2021, 09:35 AM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

There is not a central Porsche service database where all work can be seen, so you are at the whim of individual dealers (if you can figure out which ones did the work).

Some will also pull the privacy card and refuse to share.
The following users liked this post:
manifold danger (01-20-2021)
Old 01-19-2021, 09:44 AM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,125 Likes on 670 Posts

The dealer I went to provided the history once I could prove it was my car which is understandable.
Old 01-19-2021, 10:53 AM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

The history might all be listed in carfax. Mine is, from two different dealers. Not every dealer sends data to carfax. But many do.
Old 01-20-2021, 09:25 AM
SH2
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 51 Posts

[QUOTE=spiderv6;17173586]There is not a central Porsche service database where all work can be seen, so you are at the whim of individual dealers (if you can figure out which ones did the work).

I believe this is incorrect, a dealer likely can run your vin and quickly see all warranty work along with what I think includes maintenance as well
Old 01-20-2021, 09:38 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,140 Likes on 641 Posts

[QUOTE=CCDD;17176080]
Originally Posted by spiderv6
There is not a central Porsche service database where all work can be seen, so you are at the whim of individual dealers (if you can figure out which ones did the work).

I believe this is incorrect, a dealer likely can run your vin and quickly see all warranty work along with what I think includes maintenance as well
You would think that, but spiderv6's post was echoed to me almost verbatim when I went to trade in my Boxster for my current 911. I was trying to do a "pass through" trade with another buyer, and was trying to certify the car for the new buyer at the same time so I was directly involved in the process. The dealer I was trading in to made me get service records at two separate past dealers to validate it had a complete service history. I asked the question of why do I need to get the records, can't you see them in some database or something, and was told pretty much what spiderv6 is saying; not all dealers share and if they do it's most likely through Carfax, not a central Porsche repository, and I had to get them myself because some dealers won't share due to privacy.

Not all dealers/sales guys may do this, and I don't know how effective or purposeful this procedure actually is. It may not apply to warranty work but it does apply to maintenance.
Old 01-20-2021, 07:03 PM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Catharpin
They provided me with a complete history before I bought it. I used that to make sure it was up to date, and even got them to perform additional service that was missing.

Yes. The dealer provided me a full printed service history prior to my purchase on a CPO car.
Old 01-20-2021, 07:13 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,098 Likes on 2,118 Posts

My CPO car came with a general printout with high level things like oil change, suspension check, 40k service, etc and the mileage and date it was done. Basically a summary. Nothing too detailed but it listed every service the car had done at their dealer, where the majority of it's servicing was done.
The following users liked this post:
CTDan (01-23-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 08:43 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

To put a finer point on my comment - I actually would guess that there IS a centralized databased but that each dealer is locked out to only see the work they have performed.

PCNA I would assume can see everything. Doesn't fundamentally change the original answer.

Pure guesswork, but as a technologist, I can't imagine they would do it any differently.
Old 01-20-2021, 10:35 PM
NHmacan
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 134 Posts

I thought the reason you need a piwis to reset the oil light was so Porsche could keep track of things like oil changes and CPO history. I guess I was wrong.
Old 01-21-2021, 12:03 AM
Catharpin
Burning Brakes

Received 555 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
My CPO car came with a general printout with high level things like oil change, suspension check, 40k service, etc and the mileage and date it was done. Basically a summary. Nothing too detailed but it listed every service the car had done at their dealer, where the majority of it's servicing was done.
I was fortunate that my car was only ever sold/serviced at the dealer where I bought it. I had everything from PPF to detailing, even them showing previous owner how to attach the roof rack. Pages and pages, so many that it took me a while to figure out they had missed one item in the 6/60 service they performed for CPO. I had to make a stink with the sales manager but he eventually agreed to take care of it after I had the car 2 months. I keep it all in a folder and figure that level of documentation should add some value in the long term, not a lot, but some.

Quick Reply: Complete service history?