Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just realized my CPO expires tomorrow. What, Me Worry?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2021, 07:41 PM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts

I bought the car two years ago with 65k. Belt and plugs done at 44k. Under my ownership, at 75k, I have changed belt, engine filters, oil annually and recent heat shield. Only CPO issues was a rear wheel bearing and both rear window motors. I agree, I know I will not go with another extended.
Great advice from all, thank you.
The following users liked this post:
Gripster (01-18-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 11:03 PM
k_h_d
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

To those who think you always need a warranty. Why? Warranty companies make money because the odds are they will pay less in repairs than they charge for the warranty.

IMHO, if I can write a check for a 120k car I can afford even an expensive repair bill IF it happens.
Old 01-18-2021, 11:24 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 214 Posts

The flip side to that, is that you are able to buy a 100K+ car, and paying for an extended warranty shouldn’t even be debated. The truth is, more folks are buying used 991.1 models for 50-70k, not chump change, but a realistic stretch for most, and so dream cars can be purchased. So when you start talking about paying for an extended warranty, 3-5k, and more, it is a lot of money. Not trying to deter anyone from buying used 911s, but something to always think about, is not just buying the car, can you afford the upkeep, repairs or warranties that come along with it. For me, piece of mind is worth the money. I don’t need the added worries or the time wasted, when you don’t have a warranty. That’s just my take.
Old 01-19-2021, 12:25 AM
digitalwiz
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ991
The flip side to that, is that you are able to buy a 100K+ car, and paying for an extended warranty shouldn’t even be debated. The truth is, more folks are buying used 991.1 models for 50-70k, not chump change, but a realistic stretch for most, and so dream cars can be purchased. So when you start talking about paying for an extended warranty, 3-5k, and more, it is a lot of money. Not trying to deter anyone from buying used 911s, but something to always think about, is not just buying the car, can you afford the upkeep, repairs or warranties that come along with it. For me, piece of mind is worth the money. I don’t need the added worries or the time wasted, when you don’t have a warranty. That’s just my take.

To your point. My family lives on my comfortable salary and investment income. My wife is a stay at home mom. Our other cars are paid for. I recently financed 71 of the 86k of the out the door cost of my new to me 911. I'm very comfortable with the payment, insurance, maintenance, and annual California extortion fee...um I mean registration fees. However, I never want to be making payments and run the risk of a major repair. So I bought the Porsche extended warranty on top of the CPO for 4k. Total term is 4 years from purchase. Car is paid for in 5, max. So I have peace of mind over the majority of the term. After that, my savings account will bear the risk of a major failure. I'm definitely risk averse in the beginning and less so at the end, so the warranty works for my comfort level.
The following users liked this post:
NJ991 (01-19-2021)

Quick Reply: Just realized my CPO expires tomorrow. What, Me Worry?