Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noco Boost Plus (batter booster / jump starter) for roadside emergency kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2021, 03:20 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 479 Posts
Default Noco Boost Plus (batter booster / jump starter) for roadside emergency kit

After doing a bit of online research, I purchased a Noco Battery Booster to keep in my vehicle roadside emergency kit. I drive a 991.2 which I believe has an AGM battery. Truthfully, I’m not exactly sure what that means or do I understand much at all about car batteries. In any event, I came across this warning in the owners manual of the booster that states it’s only compatible with “lead-acid” batteries and warns against using it on any other type of battery. Does anyone have any insight as to what this means with relation to an AGM battery or any other battery typically found in a 991? I seem to recall reading somewhere that it was not until the 991.2 that the 991 series switched to AGM batteries - but I’m not even sure if that’s accurate and therefore don’t know if this pertains the same to the 991.1 as the 991.2. Thanks in advance!
So in summary, are AGM batteries NOT lead-acid?

Last edited by Tier1Terrier; 01-14-2021 at 03:24 PM.
Old 01-14-2021, 03:34 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,306 Posts

An AGM battery is a lead-acid battery.

As an aside, this jump pack won't jump your car if the battery is dead (10v or under) as it simply doesn't have enough capacity to overcome the large dead battery. Think of your dead battery in the car as a cruise ship boat anchor and that jump pack as a dinghy in that situation.
These types of jump packs are more for the situation where your car will crank slow or juuust barely crank at all, as they can overcome that to crank the car fast enough to start it.
Old 01-14-2021, 03:42 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 554 Likes on 335 Posts

Go to crownbattery.com. There they state that an AGM battery is considered a lead acid battery.

AGM batteries can be damaged by overcharging so one needs to be aware of the capacities of any device that feeds current into it.

Maybe visit the battery maker’s site and see what information they have on jump starts.

The Project Farm video series compares a number of jump starters including a NOCO model. May have some value watching.

Good luck.

Last edited by BSO; 01-14-2021 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-16-2021, 09:11 PM
DanQ
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by asellus
An AGM battery is a lead-acid battery.

As an aside, this jump pack won't jump your car if the battery is dead (10v or under) as it simply doesn't have enough capacity to overcome the large dead battery. Think of your dead battery in the car as a cruise ship boat anchor and that jump pack as a dinghy in that situation.
These types of jump packs are more for the situation where your car will crank slow or juuust barely crank at all, as they can overcome that to crank the car fast enough to start it.
I agree AGM is a type of lead acid battery.

I disagree with the statement it won't work on a dead battery. The unit above has a 1000A rating. If you disable the safety features (reverse polarity protection, etc) it will act just like a 12V battery. Have "I" used that capacity? No, but I have used it to power an electric winch... I have it for my touareg tdi when I snowmobile in upper Michigan and the truck sits for a week in -25F.
Old 01-17-2021, 01:54 AM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

"NOCO GB40 can safely jump start a dead battery in seconds, like on a car, boat, motorcycle, ATV, RV, lawn mower, truck and more."
https://www.diagprog4.com/noco-gb40

Read the reviews
Amazon Amazon
4.7 out of 5
25,968 global ratings

A weak battery can fail to start a car even if it is not completely dead.

This device can get you home to try to use your battery tender to charge you battery or to a shop.

I'm tempted to buy one but concerned about leaving it in the car in Phoenix AZ summers. Lithium batteries do not do well in extreme heat
Old 01-17-2021, 02:59 AM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Last edited by TwinTurbo420; 01-17-2021 at 02:59 AM. Reason: duplicate post
Old 01-17-2021, 10:23 AM
Wrtflyr
Advanced

Received 106 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by TwinTurbo420
"NOCO GB40 can safely jump start a dead battery in seconds, like on a car, boat, motorcycle, ATV, RV, lawn mower, truck and more."
https://www.diagprog4.com/noco-gb40

Read the reviews
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...k_ql_qh_dp_hza
4.7 out of 5
25,968 global ratings

A weak battery can fail to start a car even if it is not completely dead.

This device can get you home to try to use your battery tender to charge you battery or to a shop.

I'm tempted to buy one but concerned about leaving it in the car in Phoenix AZ summers. Lithium batteries do not do well in extreme heat
I live in the Phoenix area and have had a NOCO battery booster in my Cayenne that sits outside year round for the last 3 years with no problems. They are virtually bullet proof!

Last edited by Wrtflyr; 01-17-2021 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-17-2021, 11:31 AM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 290 Posts

We have a NOCO or similar device in each of our vehicles, 5 of them. Just keep them in the trunk/tool area.

Charge them once a year (they still show a full charge when charging time comes).

Have only needed to use it 2x on our own vehicles in last several years. Both times when cars were sitting outside (with the portable booster) at -35C temps. Started up instantly. Oddly enough afterwards, both batteries tested as being bad (having bad cells).

Have helped other people out a few times a year, and never had an issue boosting a car / pick up truck / SUV etc. A lot easier than hauling out a set of booster cables. Most of the time people think I am crazy helping them out with a booster pack and are sitting there holding a set of booster cables. But after seeing the device in action, I am pretty certain that I have a good idea what their next purchase will be.

FWIW, we now have 4 sets of booster cables in the garage collecting dust. Living where there can be 5 months of snow on the ground having a set of booster cables was not surprisingly the norm.

The following users liked this post:
Wrtflyr (01-17-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 04:46 PM
DanQ
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 69 Posts

When I store my 991.1 for the winter I disconnect the battery. In the spring I use the booster to connect to the fuse box to open the hood to reconnect the battery. I could use it to jump the car but have never needed to. The car battery seems fine after it's 5 month nap when disconnected.
Old 01-17-2021, 05:16 PM
737gdog
Burning Brakes

Received 565 Likes on 285 Posts

I keep one on our boat. Good product. I am proactive about replacing car batteries so not concerned about it.

Quick Reply: Noco Boost Plus (batter booster / jump starter) for roadside emergency kit