Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fidelity Powertrain warranty

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2021 | 07:30 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Default Fidelity Powertrain warranty

My CPO warranty is coming to an end in May and I decided I do not care to own a PDK car without having some sort of coverage, and not quite ready yet to move into a newer faster model. I am shopping the 3 levels of Fidelity warranty and am wondering if Powertrain is sufficient for my use. I don't need warranty fix my car if water pump or a shock or something like that breaks, just really to cover me if I get that dreaded PDK warning when putting car into reverse.

Anyone know if Fidelity Powertrain would cover all things PDK? Some bore scoring coverage would be nice too? From the description it sounds like it should.

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 01-11-2021 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-12-2021 | 12:17 AM
Targat2017
Racer

Researched Extended Warranty options a few months ago... Fidelity was the people's choice relative to price, service and customer service.
Have not used it, But it was the best premium of the dealers selling Fidelity. Toyota -FORD dealer in Greenfield Mass. was the best based on previous customers,
*call Troy D.
Old 01-12-2021 | 01:45 AM
Upscale Audio
Banned

On the 997 forum the common failure has been well-documented and the guesses have been go Platinum. I've not read anywhere on Rennlist about anybody's PDK being covered by either Powertrain for Gold.
Old 01-12-2021 | 08:35 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Search the threads. This topic has been discussed at length repeatedly. Best wishes.
Old 01-12-2021 | 08:40 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fullyield
Search the threads. This topic has been discussed at length repeatedly. Best wishes.
I did search. Not much info other than most buy the Platinum which doesn’t give me the answer I’m looking for. Best wishes and regards.
Old 01-12-2021 | 09:05 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

That is because there is no clear answer. IIRC, the Fidelity power train warranty specifically excludes electronic components but does protect the mechanical aspect of the transmission. Important because the PDK failure is never mechanical. The seven-speed gear box is excellent and highly reliable. PDK issue is usually failure of an electronic hall effect distance sensor on the shift rods inside the transmission case. See “Repairing the PDK Transmission” sticky by PPV997 which is excellent. Porsche refuses to replace the electronic part and requires a $20k transmission swap instead of just replacing the $300 sensor. So, the assumption is that Fidelity will deny coverage under the power train warranty because the failure is an electronic component rather than the mechanical gear set, but I do not think anyone is absolutely certain. No one wants to be the test case and take the gamble. On the other hand, we have had numerous members with full $20k + PDK replacements and swaps paid for under the Fidelity Platinum policy. Check out recent thread by “Sandwedge”. You can reach out to Fidelity with the above facts and see what they say. If they say in writing they will cover the PDK distance sensor failure with the power train warranty under these facts then post response here. You will be an instant RL hero.
Old 01-12-2021 | 10:52 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fullyield
That is because there is no clear answer. IIRC, the Fidelity power train warranty specifically excludes electronic components but does protect the mechanical aspect of the transmission. Important because the PDK failure is never mechanical. The seven-speed gear box is excellent and highly reliable. PDK issue is usually failure of an electronic hall effect distance sensor on the shift rods inside the transmission case. See “Repairing the PDK Transmission” sticky by PPV997 which is excellent. Porsche refuses to replace the electronic part and requires a $20k transmission swap instead of just replacing the $300 sensor. So, the assumption is that Fidelity will deny coverage under the power train warranty because the failure is an electronic component rather than the mechanical gear set, but I do not think anyone is absolutely certain. No one wants to be the test case and take the gamble. On the other hand, we have had numerous members with full $20k + PDK replacements and swaps paid for under the Fidelity Platinum policy. Check out recent thread by “Sandwedge”. You can reach out to Fidelity with the above facts and see what they say. If they say in writing they will cover the PDK distance sensor failure with the power train warranty under these facts then post response here. You will be an instant RL hero.
Yes I have read that excellent thread and agree if/when it fails it will likely be that sensor.... It's a tough call because the spread between Powertrain and Platinum is nearly 80%

From Fidelity's verbiage it sounds like it SHOULD be covered, as it is a component within the bell housing.

TRANSMISSION/TRANSAXLE/TRANSFER CASE
All internally lubricated parts contained within the transmission, transaxle and transfer case, plus the following: all internal fasteners, nuts and bolts; shift cover and forks; bell housing, components within the bell housing; torque converter; external valve bodies, control units and solenoids; seals and gaskets.

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 01-12-2021 at 10:54 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BGLeduc (01-12-2021)
Old 01-12-2021 | 02:04 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
Yes I have read that excellent thread and agree if/when it fails it will likely be that sensor.... It's a tough call because the spread between Powertrain and Platinum is nearly 80%

From Fidelity's verbiage it sounds like it SHOULD be covered, as it is a component within the bell housing.

All internally lubricated parts contained within the transmission, transaxle and transfer case, plus the following: all internal fasteners, nuts and bolts; shift cover and forks; bell housing, components within the bell housing; torque converter; external valve bodies, control units and solenoids; seals and gaskets.
Well, I am not sure everyone would agree with you that the distance sensor resides in the bell housing (although we hope you are correct). It is located on the shift rods inside the transmission case which is behind or after the bell housing. Although the bell housing and clutch packs do have some sensors, they are not problematic like the distance sensor in the transmission case. The distance sensor is also different from the valve bodies, solenoids and TCU which are often replaced on PDK's without issue. I could be wrong, but I thought the Power Train also specifically excluded "electronic components" which would also be relevant. But if you feel confident in your analysis, I encourage you to purchase the Power Train warranty and let us know how Fidelity reacts if your distance sensor fails. Then we will all know for certain. But, the practicalities are that the cost to hire an attorney to file a breach of contract lawsuit against Fidelity to get the policy language construed and the issue resolved will greatly exceed the cost of the Fidelity Platinum policy in the first instance. In addition, the Platinum policy also covers water pumps, HPFP, Change Over Valves, Vario Cam sensors, etc (items know to be an issue on these cars) and all other items not specifically excluded.

Everyone on RL, including me, hopes you are correct. Then we can all get Power Train instead of Platinum warranties and all save some $$$$$$. I am not arguing. I agree. But, I am just explaining the thought process expressed in from previous threads.
Old 01-12-2021 | 02:04 PM
SealGrey997
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85

MJ from Mossy Motors confirmed that all three plans cover PDK.

That was the only reason I bought the powertrain warranty and wanted to ensure it was in fact covered.

Feel free to reach out to him yourself to double check if you'd like.

Last edited by SealGrey997; 01-12-2021 at 02:05 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by SealGrey997:
AdamSanta85 (01-12-2021), BGLeduc (01-12-2021), shammerman (01-13-2021)
Old 01-12-2021 | 02:09 PM
Wstsdphisg
Advanced

I just bought a warranty from MJ over Christmas, would highly recommend him.
Old 01-12-2021 | 02:46 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SealGrey997

That was the only reason I bought the powertrain warranty and wanted to ensure it was in fact covered.

Originally Posted by Wstsdphisg
I just bought a warranty from MJ over Christmas, would highly recommend him.
I too will likely get Fidelity as my warranty will expire later this year. Just curious, was there any official documentation from him that the PDK is covered? Based on the OP's research, it seems that way but it is a bit concerning to put trust in a person just saying something. I doubt he'd be held liable, particularly if there was no written proof.

Not throwing stones here - just curious.
Old 01-12-2021 | 02:47 PM
Murphjup
Rennlist Member

I thought I read on Fidelity's Warranty, that they can use "Used Parts" So you might not get a new PDK...

Lots of fine print to read...

Old 01-12-2021 | 02:50 PM
cclcal
Instructor

I thought all PDK replacements are remanufactured anyways...

I was on the fence to get Platinum warranty from him but didnt pull the trigger...
Old 01-12-2021 | 03:10 PM
SealGrey997
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wujohn
I too will likely get Fidelity as my warranty will expire later this year. Just curious, was there any official documentation from him that the PDK is covered? Based on the OP's research, it seems that way but it is a bit concerning to put trust in a person just saying something. I doubt he'd be held liable, particularly if there was no written proof.

Not throwing stones here - just curious.
Great point - I actually do have it in writing but in the form of an email.

I guess I did take a bit of a chance by taking his word vs. confirming with Fidelity themselves. However, given he's sold 100's of these warranties for Porsche's, I figured it'd be a safe bet.
Old 01-12-2021 | 03:30 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SealGrey997

Cool that's who I am dealing with. I might give my selling and or local dealer to see if they have any Fidelity Powertrain experience. If so the 3/36 Fidelity PT is a great deal IMO.

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 01-12-2021 at 03:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SealGrey997 (01-12-2021)

Quick Reply: Fidelity Powertrain warranty