Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fidelity Powertrain warranty

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2021 | 08:33 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Originally Posted by SealGrey997
Great point - I actually do have it in writing but in the form of an email.

I guess I did take a bit of a chance by taking his word vs. confirming with Fidelity themselves. However, given he's sold 100's of these warranties for Porsche's, I figured it'd be a safe bet.
Two comments: First, MJ is not an employee of Fidelity. He is an employee of Mossy Motors and only an independent contractor for Fidelity. Fidelity is not legally bound by any of his statements. His written statement does not prevent Fidelity from denying coverage. Two, the PT warranty does, in fact, cover the PDK so MJ’s statement is correct. BUT, it ONLY covers those parts of the PDK that are specifically included and stated in the policy such as bell housing components, valve body, solenoids, gears, etc. as pointed out above by the OP. Please see exclusion #14 in the policy that states that the PT and Gold warranties only cover parts specifically listed. This exclusion does not apply to the Platinum warranty.

So, I do not think MJ’s general statement that the PT warranty covers the PDK addresses the narrower issue of “does the PT warranty cover a failed distance sensor located on the shift rods which is an electronic component located inside the transmission case”. This is important because the failure of this distance sensor accounts for about 90% of the PDK failures requiring a PDK swap @ cost of $20k +. I hope all of you are correct, and it does cover it.

Last edited by Fullyield; 01-13-2021 at 08:56 AM.
Old 01-13-2021 | 09:14 AM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
On the 997 forum the common failure has been well-documented and the guesses have been go Platinum. I've not read anywhere on Rennlist about anybody's PDK being covered by either Powertrain for Gold.
I requested a quote from MJ at Mossy, and have a copy of the T&Cs which he also sent along. There is really nothing to differentiate the Platinum in terms of what mechanical systems are covered vs. the Gold. It adds coverage for control module programming, diagnostics, related damage if caused by a covered breakdown, and fluids if required to address a covered breakdown. The rest of Platinum is non-vehicle stuff like towing, substitute transportation, trip interruption, etc.

I see nothing in the T&Cs to suggest that Platinum adds additional transmission related coverage where Gold or Power Train does not. In fact, there is little difference between Power Train and Gold in terms of transmission.

For me personally, if I decide to buy coverage, I think Gold will be sufficient. I do plan to contact my local Porsche SA to see what experiences they have had locally with Fidelity.

Old 01-13-2021 | 10:00 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Originally Posted by BGLeduc
I requested a quote from MJ at Mossy, and have a copy of the T&Cs which he also sent along. There is really nothing to differentiate the Platinum in terms of what mechanical systems are covered vs. the Gold. It adds coverage for control module programming, diagnostics, related damage if caused by a covered breakdown, and fluids if required to address a covered breakdown. The rest of Platinum is non-vehicle stuff like towing, substitute transportation, trip interruption, etc.

I see nothing in the T&Cs to suggest that Platinum adds additional transmission related coverage where Gold or Power Train does not. In fact, there is little difference between Power Train and Gold in terms of transmission.

For me personally, if I decide to buy coverage, I think Gold will be sufficient. I do plan to contact my local Porsche SA to see what experiences they have had locally with Fidelity.
I think our posts crossed in cyber space. I disagree with your analysis and statement that the Platinum policy does not add additional transmission related coverage. I recommend that you read Exclusions # 14 in the T&C's which is the big difference between the Gold and PT warranties and the Platinum warranty. Per exclusion 14, the Gold and PT warranties ONLY cover those items specifically stated and included in the policy. So, a component is not covered under the Gold or PT warranty unless specifically mentioned which leads to the PDK distance sensor issue because it is not listed.

However, the exclusion for the Platinum warranty is completely different. Platinum coverage "includes the POWERTRAIN and GOLD Coverage Plans plus ANY OTHER MECHANICAL BREAKDOWN except for those items listed in the section EXCLUSIONS FROM COVERAGE and subject to the LIMITS OF LIABILITY section."

The items excluded from the Platinum coverage at exclusion #15 which states:

"UNDER PLATINUM COVERAGE, ANY OF THE FOLLOWING PARTS: BRAKE LININGS, BRAKE DRUMS AND ROTORS, DISC BRAKE PADS, STANDARD MANUAL TRANSMISSION CLUTCH FRICTION DISC, PRESSURE PLATE, PILOT BEARING, THROW-OUT BEARING AND ARM, AIR BAGS, SOLAR POWERED DEVICES, GLASS, LENSES, SEALED BEAMS, BODY PARTS AND/OR PANELS, WEATHER STRIPPING, TRIM, MOLDINGS, LOCK CYLINDERS, TIRES, WHEELS, ALL BATTERIES EXCEPT HYBRID/EV/HYDROGEN HIGH VOLTAGE BATTERIES AS LISTED UNDER GOLD, LIGHT BULBS, UPHOLSTERY, PAINT, BRIGHT METAL, FREEZE PLUGS, FILTERS, HEATER AND RADIATOR HOSES, EXHAUST SYSTEM, CATALYTIC CONVERTER, SHOCK ABSORBERS, WORK SUCH AS FRONT-END ALIGNMENT OR WHEEL BALANCING (EXCEPT WHEN REQUIRED IN CONJUNCTION WITH A MECHANICAL BREAKDOWN), SAFETY RESTRAINT SYSTEMS, AUDIO/SECURITY OR OTHER SYSTEMS NOT FACTORY INSTALLED, OR VINYL AND CONVERTIBLE TOPS;"

So the Gold and PT warranties only provide coverage for components specifically listed. On the other hand, the Platinum warranty covers all components unless specifically excluded which is a big, big difference. Platinum covers the cause for ANY MECHANICAL BREAKDOWN except for components specifically listed in Exclusion 15 which are mostly wear and tear consumable items. So, the entire PDK transmission and transaxle is covered by the Platinum warranty (including the distance sensor in the transmission case) other than the clutch disc, pressure plate, pilot bearing and throw out bearing which are wear and tear items that are specifically excluded.
The following 4 users liked this post by Fullyield:
BGLeduc (01-13-2021), SealGrey997 (01-13-2021), shammerman (01-13-2021), T3X4S (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021 | 11:03 AM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fullyield
I think our posts crossed in cyber space. I disagree with your analysis and statement that the Platinum policy does not add additional transmission related coverage. I recommend that you read Exclusions # 14 in the T&C's which is the big difference between the Gold and PT warranties and the Platinum warranty. Per exclusion 14, the Gold and PT warranties ONLY cover those items specifically stated and included in the policy. So, a component is not covered under the Gold or PT warranty unless specifically mentioned which leads to the PDK distance sensor issue because it is not listed.

However, the exclusion for the Platinum warranty is completely different. Platinum coverage "includes the POWERTRAIN and GOLD Coverage Plans plus ANY OTHER MECHANICAL BREAKDOWN except for those items listed in the section EXCLUSIONS FROM COVERAGE and subject to the LIMITS OF LIABILITY section."

The items excluded from the Platinum coverage at exclusion #15 which states:

"UNDER PLATINUM COVERAGE, ANY OF THE FOLLOWING PARTS: BRAKE LININGS, BRAKE DRUMS AND ROTORS, DISC BRAKE PADS, STANDARD MANUAL TRANSMISSION CLUTCH FRICTION DISC, PRESSURE PLATE, PILOT BEARING, THROW-OUT BEARING AND ARM, AIR BAGS, SOLAR POWERED DEVICES, GLASS, LENSES, SEALED BEAMS, BODY PARTS AND/OR PANELS, WEATHER STRIPPING, TRIM, MOLDINGS, LOCK CYLINDERS, TIRES, WHEELS, ALL BATTERIES EXCEPT HYBRID/EV/HYDROGEN HIGH VOLTAGE BATTERIES AS LISTED UNDER GOLD, LIGHT BULBS, UPHOLSTERY, PAINT, BRIGHT METAL, FREEZE PLUGS, FILTERS, HEATER AND RADIATOR HOSES, EXHAUST SYSTEM, CATALYTIC CONVERTER, SHOCK ABSORBERS, WORK SUCH AS FRONT-END ALIGNMENT OR WHEEL BALANCING (EXCEPT WHEN REQUIRED IN CONJUNCTION WITH A MECHANICAL BREAKDOWN), SAFETY RESTRAINT SYSTEMS, AUDIO/SECURITY OR OTHER SYSTEMS NOT FACTORY INSTALLED, OR VINYL AND CONVERTIBLE TOPS;"

So the Gold and PT warranties only provide coverage for components specifically listed. On the other hand, the Platinum warranty covers all components unless specifically excluded which is a big, big difference. Platinum covers the cause for ANY MECHANICAL BREAKDOWN except for components specifically listed in Exclusion 15 which are mostly wear and tear consumable items. So, the entire PDK transmission and transaxle is covered by the Platinum warranty (including the distance sensor in the transmission case) other than the clutch disc, pressure plate, pilot bearing and throw out bearing which are wear and tear items that are specifically excluded.
I stand educated.....
Old 01-13-2021 | 01:23 PM
neuneleven
Instructor

I am in a similar situation with warranty no my 991.2 expiring this year in September and I would love to keep my babied car with only 21K miles and get an extended warranty Options are trade in for another vehicle, possibly a 992 or cross shopping with a C8 which are second and third option respectively and much less favorable personally. Any suggestions on how to reach MJ from Mossy Motors or any other suggestions. Input very much appreciated
Old 01-13-2021 | 01:28 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neuneleven
I am in a similar situation with warranty no my 991.2 expiring this year in September and I would love to keep my babied car with only 21K miles and get an extended warranty Options are trade in for another vehicle, possibly a 992 or cross shopping with a C8 which are second and third option respectively and much less favorable personally. Any suggestions on how to reach MJ from Mossy Motors or any other suggestions. Input very much appreciated
I believe since you are coming off new car warranty you can get a extended factory, or have dealer add CPO warranty (I think there are ways to do this...)

For us CPO goes, we are at the end of the road on Porsche warranties.
The following users liked this post:
BGLeduc (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021 | 01:48 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

mjourdan@mossymotors.com. Be sure to mention “Rennlist”to get discount.
Old 01-13-2021 | 01:51 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Others on RL also recommend Troy Dietrich @ tdietrich@toyotaofgreenfield.com.
Old 01-13-2021 | 01:57 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

You can get Fidelity Platinum plan for pretty cheap as long as you purchase while the car is still under warranty. I got mine from Troy (mentioned above this post) for about $600 less than the same exact plan than what Michael (also mentioned above) was quoting. Both guys were very professional and responsive so I'd suggest you try both.

Last edited by Tier1Terrier; 01-13-2021 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-13-2021 | 02:02 PM
cclcal
Instructor

i think what we all really want to know is if anyone has used Fidelity Powertrain only warranty to cover a PDK replacement. We know platinum does. Has anyone had Gold warranty cover PDK replacement?

Otherwise all this hypotheses will remain that.

The following 2 users liked this post by cclcal:
MkC2S (01-14-2021), PatrickBateman (05-20-2022)
Old 01-13-2021 | 02:37 PM
neuneleven
Instructor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Fullyield
mjourdan@mossymotors.com. Be sure to mention “Rennlist”to get discount.
many thanks and to Tier1terrier as well

Last edited by neuneleven; 01-13-2021 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-20-2022 | 12:14 PM
PatrickBateman
Racer

Originally Posted by cclcal
i think what we all really want to know is if anyone has used Fidelity Powertrain only warranty to cover a PDK replacement. We know platinum does. Has anyone had Gold warranty cover PDK replacement?

Otherwise all this hypotheses will remain that.
Bringing this back up to see if anyone can answer this. Currently have 2 years and 8 months left on platinum coverage and may do no coverage or powertrain only next as I haven't had a single claim in the 3+ years I've had the car/warranty.
Old 05-20-2022 | 03:08 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PatrickBateman
Bringing this back up to see if anyone can answer this. Currently have 2 years and 8 months left on platinum coverage and may do no coverage or powertrain only next as I haven't had a single claim in the 3+ years I've had the car/warranty.
Thanks for bringing this thread back up. My factory warranty expires later this year, and shopped around at the Platinum level but don't feel the need for anything other than "major medical" insurance—as 3.5 years and 30,000 miles with my 991.2 Carrera has been like 2 years and 14,000 miles in my GT4 was: essentially 100% trouble-free. GT4 developed a creak, Carrera has a couple of rattles and has required two windshield washer hoses. Big deal.

Curious what you ended up doing, @AdamSanta85 and what the split was between Platinum and Powertrain (fine to PM me if more appropriate, and I know each car/case varies).

Last edited by stout; 05-20-2022 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-20-2022 | 07:44 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Not every vehicle qualifies for every tier of coverage, there are plenty of situations where a vehicle can only get Platinum or Gold coverage. Here are the only covered components for the PDK under the 2nd tier, gold plan.

Fidelity Gold:
TRANSMISSION: Oil pan; detent cable; kickdown link; throttle cable; vacuum modulator; transmission mounts, all internally lubricated parts contained within the transmission, transaxle and transfer case, plus the following: all internal fasteners, nuts and bolts; shift cover and forks; bell housing, components within the bell housing; torque converter; external valve bodies, control units and solenoids; seals and gaskets.

For quotes, questions, and example contracts. You can contact us at (855) 924-1333 or tgibson@highline-autos.com

Official RECARO Automotive Retailer: www.highline-autos.com/product-category/recaro/

Highline Autos Magazine - Volume XXI, Issue 03 https://bit.ly/3wTsNzM

Old 05-22-2022 | 01:14 PM
Upscale Audio
Banned

Originally Posted by Highline-Autos.com
Not every vehicle qualifies for every tier of coverage, there are plenty of situations where a vehicle can only get Platinum or Gold coverage. Here are the only covered components for the PDK under the 2nd tier, gold plan.

Fidelity Gold:
TRANSMISSION: Oil pan; detent cable; kickdown link; throttle cable; vacuum modulator; transmission mounts, all internally lubricated parts contained within the transmission, transaxle and transfer case, plus the following: all internal fasteners, nuts and bolts; shift cover and forks; bell housing, components within the bell housing; torque converter; external valve bodies, control units and solenoids; seals and gaskets.

For quotes, questions, and example contracts. You can contact us at (855) 924-1333 or tgibson@highline-autos.com

That's the rub, isn't it? The most common failure is the distance sensor. Don't see that listed. If you want to know the most common failures on aPDK the 997 forum has a great sticky on it, and how to perform the repair yourself.

997 forum guide to repairing PDK
The following 2 users liked this post by Upscale Audio:
Fullyield (05-22-2022), Highline-Autos.com (05-23-2022)

Quick Reply: Fidelity Powertrain warranty