Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Porsche Tax

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2021 | 09:21 AM
good2go
Pro

Originally Posted by sdsc
To preface, I own a 991.2 GTS and have modified many cars in the past (as I'm sure may of you have as well).

Aside from a few exceptions, the Porsche "tax" is outrageous. Here are just two notable offenders.

1) Numeric Racing's shifter: ~$700

Comparable quality shifter for another cable trans vehicle: ~$350 .

And I don't buy the story that there was sunk development cost that needs to be made up over a small production run. This one part fits multiple chassis and is one of the most popular modifications I've seen on this forum.

2) Fabspeed headers: ~$2300.

Genuine equal length headers using a true merge collector for another platform: ~$1200.

Handmade-to-order turbo manifolds for a V8 platform vehicle: $1200

Heck, I had a custom header made for my other car, where the fabricator took into account camshaft specifications, displacement, etc to make me a header to maximize power (120whp/L, naturally aspirated). Two of those would be in the same ballpark as the Fabspeed or Soul headers.

Meanwhile, the Fabspeed and Soul headers (namely the former) look a lot like the throwaway "shorty" headers I would buy off eBay for $150 to hop up a friend's Honda (this is 304SS, by the way).

3) And Soul doesn't get off on this either--selling dump pipes for 1200? . This is, at most, a $400 part, if you include the addition of sensor bungs and if you value the ability to interchange tips. Those tips, by the way, are $400. Clamp on exhaust tips (4" double wall) are all over the web for 50-100, depending on the quality of finish.

I'm sure I've angered many forum sponsors here, but what gives. It's only fair at this point to call out the ridiculous pricing (and pricing creep) of Porsche aftermarket parts. I'm sure many here are of the means to afford these parts, but everyone should demand value for their dollar, regardless of disposable income.
business 101. You are a consumer, if you don’t see value don’t buy the product and move to a product you like.

you don’t seem to understand brand. Who buys a Porsche? The brand is not trying to provide you the lowest price. Some buyers get value knowing they won’t see every person driving the same car.

Capitalism - you should put them out of business. If they are gouging, you should be able to create a good or better product and sell it way under the competitors and take all the business.

these brands that you slam know who their customer is. And it’s obviously not you.

I look forward to seeing the new products you bring to market. I hope you create a successful and disruptive business model.

Last edited by good2go; 01-01-2021 at 09:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SoCal C2S (01-02-2021)
Old 01-01-2021 | 12:23 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Balr14
Not only are BMW prices a lot lower, but my BMW dealer gives nicer loaners, too.
Yeah this is something that really got me with the Porsche dealer around here. Base macans and base cayennes only.
Old 01-01-2021 | 12:42 PM
Wolpertinger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by asellus
Yeah this is something that really got me with the Porsche dealer around here. Base macans and base cayennes only.
I got an almost brand new Macan S last time. It was pretty nice. Beats the base Escape I got when I took my F150 in.
Old 01-01-2021 | 01:08 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wolpertinger
I got an almost brand new Macan S last time. It was pretty nice. Beats the base Escape I got when I took my F150 in.
Ah fun. I have yet to drive a higher model Macan, but I'm pretty sure I'll eventually replace my M5 with a GTS. Chatted with my service advisor a bit and he agrees, the turbo trim is just unnecessary and the GTS is the sweet spot for the Macans.
Old 01-01-2021 | 05:18 PM
NevilleNobody
Rennlist Member

Even one's house. I try to get quotes before anyone comes to my house. It's by no means spectacular but big enough to incur a "quote tax". You can see contractors locking their chops.
Old 01-02-2021 | 03:41 AM
s1mplee
AutoX

Lambo tax sucks ***. 75$ for a single plastic rim center cap.
Old 01-02-2021 | 08:18 AM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Some of you guy's really ought to listen to your selves. You complain of some hidden Porsche tax from a contractor because you forgot to close the garage but then gladly justify the excessive service and parts rates because they serve crappy Starbucks coffee while you wait? $1100 for a battery? But the plumber wanted to charge..... for something you won't or can't do. As a contractor, there may be some unscrupulous one's but they're not charging you more because what's in the garage. They know your worth based on your Zip Code, neighborhood, and landscaping.

There may or may not be your hidden contractor Porsche tax. What I can without a doubt inform you is there is a 100% Smug A**hole tax. Whatever you have in your house or garage, trust me, those contractors have seen much nicer than you have vs some mundane Porsche. If it's nice enough, he'll want to talk to you about it, like I talk to one of my customers about his 918 and Speedster in his garage (Meissen Blue). Besides, what makes you think your contractor doesn't have a Porsche also? I have one, it's probably nicer than most of yours. A true Unicorn spec, low mileage GTS. My friends and coworkers all have high end cars, boats, motorcycles, 2nd homes at the lake. And we're just the hired help!

$1100 for a battery, please! I paid $170 at Costco for mine and put it in myself. Total cost out the door, $170. That means I'm $930 wealthier than you are.

Last edited by Prairiedawg; 01-02-2021 at 08:28 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Prairiedawg:
GT3FZS (01-02-2021), Thinc2 (01-05-2021)
Old 01-02-2021 | 08:32 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Prairiedawg
I have one, it's probably nicer than most of yours. A true Unicorn spec, low mileage GTS. My friends and coworkers all have high end cars, boats, motorcycles, 2nd homes at the lake.
Right.

And Starbucks coffee is excellent.
Old 01-02-2021 | 08:59 AM
rnl
Burning Brakes

here's the deal guys, you can live without a lawyer, but, if there's a problem, you will have difficulty comfortably living without a plumber.

The only Porsche tax that annoys me is common to all dealers, the nonsense charges and poor workmanship.
We - as a nation - do not value manual labor and laborers. We attribute greater status to those who create nothing but wealth - you know, your hedge funds guys.

The next time you think a contractor its screwing you on a quote, just ask him or her about the components of the bid. BTW, the wealthiest guy I know drove a old ford station wagon.
Here's little secret - it's not the lowest bid - it's the lowest responsible bid that is the best bid and it usually is not the low bid. Abnormally low bidders will screw you on workmanship and or moan that they aren't making enough money on your job. We've lived in our home since 1987 and have had a number of renovations/additions (including the Porsche Palace free standing two spot two level garage) and we have always solicited 3 to 4 bids and reviewed them with our architect. I file waiver of liens signed by the contractor and I draft the contracts. Over the years we have paid a fair price for every job - there are no bargains in home projects.

Last edited by rnl; 01-02-2021 at 09:20 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by rnl:
Gripster (01-02-2021), GT3FZS (01-02-2021), Prairiedawg (01-02-2021), SoCal C2S (01-02-2021)
Old 01-02-2021 | 11:11 AM
sdsc
Instructor

Originally Posted by good2go
business 101. You are a consumer, if you don’t see value don’t buy the product and move to a product you like.

you don’t seem to understand brand. Who buys a Porsche? The brand is not trying to provide you the lowest price. Some buyers get value knowing they won’t see every person driving the same car.

Capitalism - you should put them out of business. If they are gouging, you should be able to create a good or better product and sell it way under the competitors and take all the business.

these brands that you slam know who their customer is. And it’s obviously not you.

I look forward to seeing the new products you bring to market. I hope you create a successful and disruptive business model.
This is the sort of condescension that lead us to this equilibrium.
Old 01-02-2021 | 11:33 AM
good2go
Pro

Originally Posted by sdsc
This is the sort of condescension that lead us to this equilibrium.
Did you really mean to say equilibrium?

No, I seriously think people should stop complaining and start a business.

I could have said stop your bitching.
Old 01-02-2021 | 11:46 AM
Bemo
Drifting

Originally Posted by Balr14
Not only are BMW prices a lot lower, but my BMW dealer gives nicer loaners, too.
Generally I agree with you but I'm finding that in many cases BMW parts are more expensive than their 911 equivalents.
Some recent examples:
1. Front rotors/pads for the 535GT.
2. Ignition coils/brakes for my M3.
FCP Euro for BMW parts vs. Suncoast for the 911. If some claims here are true that Suncoast is pricier, than the spread is even larger than I've noticed...

Not complaining, just sharing some observations...

Happy motoring to all
Old 01-02-2021 | 12:33 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Originally Posted by DaveGee
What’s even better is the “invisible” Porsche tax. Ever have a contractor come to your house and try and make a deal after he sees what’s in your garage? It’s real my friends. I avoid at all costs exposing my garage to anyone working at my house until after the price has been settled.

DaveGee
I recently had some 18" wheels mounted and balanced for my 987. 345 Front & 275/40/18 for the rears. When I called to schedule an appointment they needed to know what kind of car and I told them it was a Camry and was given a price. I brought aftermarket wheels in the back of my SUV with the tires and TPMS. Once the job was done, they tried to charge me $100 more than quoted because they said that they didn't realize it was for a Porsche; which had different pricing.

Old 01-02-2021 | 12:41 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Originally Posted by Catharpin
True, true, true. My dad taught me this early on. We would go look at cars in a rusted out beater rather than the nice cars. I only open my garage after the contract is signed. I had some guys out today for warranty work, so no problem. It happens if your neighborhood smells like money, I have had some ridiculous quotes, probably due to lack of experience. I don't own the most expensive house.
This reminds me of another story.... We bought our house in May and when the realtor wouldn't respond we reached out directly to the sellers - who were no longer living at the home. We showed up in the cannubial's Kia Soul. We later showed up in my Cayenne with the kids to show them and that really hindered negotiations post inspection with the fact that we can afford a Porsche referenced constantly.

Also, the sellers of the home loved to bring up my being able to afford a cayenne (Thank goodness it's the only Porsche they saw until everything was finalized) yet they had a Giant new GMC Denali SUV and a Ford F250 king ranch.... When I bought my first "luxury" car; a Mercedes C320, I was in sales and caught a ridiculous amount of flack from people with giant, loaded pickups that cost multiples of what I paid for my merc. The brand perception is very real.
The following users liked this post:
GT3FZS (01-02-2021)
Old 01-02-2021 | 12:50 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

When it comes to mods, the comparison would be like "One man's junk is another man's treasure". There is zero chance of selling me any modification parts IF I have no need for it. It would definitely end up in the trash even if given to me, but if I need it......you know the drill.

Quick Reply: The Porsche Tax