Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing PASM springs on a SPASM car... bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2020, 12:31 PM
b1st
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Installing PASM springs on a SPASM car... bad idea?

This is the opposite of what most people do with their sports cars. Instead of lowering and improving the handling of my car I want to do the opposite... why? It's because I have bad back and cannot drive my car for more than 2 hrs in a given week. I have a daily that's much more comfortable but I'd like to drive my 911 more and maybe drive to a local track (I'm in SoCal), or at least a short road trip.

Car: 2019 Carrera S w SPASM, PDCC, RWS, 18-way leather seats, 20"

I do love my car to death except for the ride. When I got the car I was confused about the options it had - I didn't think it had SPASM. The sales guy turned out to be new to Porsche and was clueless - he told me what I wanted to hear: that this car did not have SPASM. Good news is that I've been able to improve the ride quality vastly since I picked up the car but I'd like to improve a tad further. The car handles insane as is (way beyond my ability) so losing a bit of handling prowess won't negate much. Here are the things I've done to my car so far to improve ride quality:

1. Adjusted from 40 psi to comfort-partial load.
2. Put a few layers of memory foam on the seat to give better shock absorption and also contour to my body better. I'm short and I found the back of the seat dug into my lower back because the built-in lumbar support was too aggressive. I'm still fine-tuning this. Just ordered a bunch of diff types.
3. DSC controller. This is is simply amazing and now my car handles better too.

I'm very happy w what I've been able to do to improve ride comfort - I actually wanted to trade the car in after 3 days initially. But, again, I'd like to improve the ride quality more. So I see 3 more options:

1. Install PASM springs on my car.
2. Swap out my 20s w 19s
3. Get a different car. I'd like to avoid this because my car is perfect in all other ways.

I suspect that option 1 will improve the ride quality more than 2. Also I think the stock 19s for this gen are ugly so rather not do that option. From what I've heard the SPASM and PASM shocks have diff part number. I wonder if installing PASM springs is going to negatively affect the shocks? I also wonder if my SPASM shocks can even extend 10 more millimeters - most people go shorter springs so the suspension travel limit is moot. Anyone have any knowledge/experience in this area?

My baby

Memory foam cushion. There are 3 layers underneath that I cut out to diff widths.
Old 12-27-2020, 12:58 PM
edirtaynine
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 88 Posts

first try swapping out the wheels to smaller 19s with meatier tires. that alone should make another noticeable difference in ride. there are a handful of aftermarket 19" wheels to pick from too if you dont like any of the oem choices.
then get a DSC module and that, im guessing, will pretty much completely solve your ride comfort issues. [nevermind. just reread and saw that you already have a DSC haha]
Old 12-27-2020, 01:13 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

I am not sure how much PASM will help you. Can you go to a dealer to see if they have a base 991.2 you can test drive? I suppose it will help a little but I suspect like the suggestion above that 19's with meatier/softer sidewalls will help the most.

As an aside, I would doubt anything is different between SPASM and PASM other than the springs. Could be wrong but I'd bet a few $$ on it.
Old 12-27-2020, 01:28 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 630 Posts

DSC controller. Easiest, cheapest and least risk as you can send it back if you don't like.
edit - never mind you did that...

Michelin PS4S tires will go a long way a long with the proper psi.

What cars are you coming from? Most find the 991 to be a little soft feeling. Eibach progressive springs may do the trick. Mine with Eibach + DSC is fantastically comfortable. Especially after getting out of the 987 of very stiff aftermarket things but also after driving the base cayenne.

Last edited by garfunkle; 12-27-2020 at 01:31 PM.
Old 12-27-2020, 01:28 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,245 Likes on 730 Posts

I would do 19's before touching the springs.
The following users liked this post:
edirtaynine (12-27-2020)
Old 12-27-2020, 01:35 PM
b1st
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Note I already have DSC. It's been amazing but I still want a bit more comfort. It does very well w high-frequency low-amplitude imperfections. But when it comes to nasty expansion joints in SoCal w 2"+ elevation change, there's not much DSC can do since the spring travel is limited. I just did a quick search on Tirerack and it doesn't show 19" wheels as an option for my car. Since mine's an S it's got slightly larger brakes than the base... so maybe 19s won't clear my brakes and therefore is not an option for me?

I guess another option is if I can find aftermarket option springs that is actually softer than my SPASM springs. Not sure if such thing exists.
Old 12-27-2020, 01:42 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by b1st
Note I already have DSC. It's been amazing but I still want a bit more comfort. It does very well w high-frequency low-amplitude imperfections. But when it comes to nasty expansion joints in SoCal w 2"+ elevation change, there's not much DSC can do since the spring travel is limited. I just did a quick search on Tirerack and it doesn't show 19" wheels as an option for my car. Since mine's an S it's got slightly larger brakes than the base... so maybe 19s won't clear my brakes and therefore is not an option for me?

I guess another option is if I can find aftermarket option springs that is actually softer than my SPASM springs. Not sure if such thing exists.
Eibach is progressive (there is a debate about linear vs progressive) which means that for the things you're talking about it will be softer but for pushing the car, it compresses the "soft coils" leaving only the "stiff" coils to act like a regular spring. It's not incredibly dramatic but does add comfort. I have some 19" wheels that would fit but they'd need spacers if you're interested.
Old 12-27-2020, 01:45 PM
sdsc
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

19s with better riding tires (Pilot Sport 4S). I wouldn’t touch the springs. Besides, you have PDCC which should make the ride more comfortable, if anything.
Old 12-27-2020, 01:54 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 540 Likes on 316 Posts

I can only speak to some of the things I've done to my own car to try to have it suit my own purposes better.
  • DSC V3 with the GT3 touring file. Even better than the "stock" DSC mapping. Very comfortable suspension dynamics in both normal and firm suspension modes. In fact, the stock DSC settings were still too bouncy for me in normal mode, so I had to use the firm mode all the time. Now with the GT3 touring file, I can use normal mode most of the time.
  • All season tires. They simply quiet the cabin down and take away some of the harshness
  • Sound dampening in the doors and rear wheel wells. Again, takes away some of the road noise and improves the sound from the door speakers. Also, makes the engine and exhaust more audible.
I think the recommendation of 19" wheels here is the other big one to try, but of course, that's a larger expense than any of the ones I listed above.

Last edited by koala; 12-27-2020 at 01:55 PM.
b1st (12-27-2020)
Old 12-27-2020, 02:24 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

You have tons of space for 19's so don't worry about that. If you need reassurance, I have 350mm discs all the way around on mine and use 19s for the track. If you have to specify a car, use a 991.2 base. Here is some info on the factory 19 offsets. You yon't have to follow this exactly but a good guide. You can also use this link below to see if the wheel will fit.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1106...-2-wheels.html
https://www.willtheyfit.com/

b1st (12-27-2020)
Old 12-27-2020, 06:23 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 606 Likes on 386 Posts

I do love my car to death except for the ride. When I got the car I was confused about the options it had - I didn't think it had SPASM. The sales guy turned out to be new to Porsche and was clueless - he told me what I wanted to hear: that this car did not have SPASM. Good news is that I've been able to improve the ride quality vastly since I picked up the car but I'd like to improve a tad further. The car handles insane as is (way beyond my ability) so losing a bit of handling prowess won't negate much. Here are the things I've done to my car so far to improve ride quality:

2. Put a few layers of memory foam on the seat to give better shock absorption and also contour to my body better. I'm short and I found the back of the seat dug into my lower back because the built-in lumbar support was too aggressive. I'm still fine-tuning this. Just ordered a bunch of diff types.

I'm very happy w what I've been able to do to improve ride comfort - I actually wanted to trade the car in after 3 days initially. But, again, I'd like to improve the ride quality more. So I see 3 more options:

2. Swap out my 20s w 19s
3. Get a different car. I'd like to avoid this because my car is perfect in all other ways.
I can attest that 19 inch wheels with all season tires will improve the ride considerably. My winter tires are 19s in my 991.2 4S (without SPASM) and the ride is significantly better and quieter with the 19s.
b1st (12-27-2020)
Old 12-27-2020, 06:37 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

This is the opposite of what most people do with their sports cars. Instead of lowering and improving the handling of my car I want to do the opposite... why? It's because I have bad back and cannot drive my car for more than 2 hrs in a given week. I have a daily that's much more comfortable but I'd like to drive my 911 more and maybe drive to a local track (I'm in SoCal), or at least a short road trip.

Car: 2019 Carrera S w SPASM, PDCC, RWS, 18-way leather seats, 20"

2. Swap out my 20s w 19s

I suspect that option 1 will improve the ride quality more than 2. Also I think the stock 19s for this gen are ugly so rather not do that option. From what I've heard the SPASM and PASM shocks have diff part number. I wonder if installing PASM springs is going to negatively affect the shocks? I also wonder if my SPASM shocks can even extend 10 more millimeters - most people go shorter springs so the suspension travel limit is moot. Anyone have any knowledge/experience in this area?

My baby

Memory foam cushion. There are 3 layers underneath that I cut out to diff widths.
Agree with the others here, so long as 19s don't bother you from an appearance standpoint—factory 19s with Michelin tires are your best first bet to improve ride—they're relatively affordable (and you can sell your 20s if you like the 19s) and bolt on/off. After that, I'd consider PASM springs—as the "basis" Carrera with PASM springs/dampers is probably the softest riding of the 991.2 coupes. The SPASM dampers are tuned for the SPASM springs. I have a set of PASM springs sitting in the garage and would consider swapping for a set of SPASM springs. Would also consider swapping PASM dampers for SPASM dampers. PM me if interested to see if we can work something out…but I think 19s are a better first step.

Last edited by stout; 12-27-2020 at 06:40 PM.
b1st (12-27-2020)
Old 12-28-2020, 04:55 AM
gskv
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

this is a sports car at heart and you're looking for a GT car

the AMG GT is what you're lookin' for!
Old 12-28-2020, 09:42 AM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,125 Likes on 670 Posts

Originally Posted by Wujohn
You have tons of space for 19's so don't worry about that. If you need reassurance, I have 350mm discs all the way around on mine and use 19s for the track. If you have to specify a car, use a 991.2 base. Here is some info on the factory 19 offsets. You yon't have to follow this exactly but a good guide. You can also use this link below to see if the wheel will fit.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1106...-2-wheels.html
https://www.willtheyfit.com/
The only reasons 19s wouldn't fit would be if you had PCCB brakes (Carbon Ceramics) which it appears you do not, or Rear Axle steering...what files do you have loaded into the DSC? As others have stated on here-the GT3 touring file is supposed to work wonders.
Old 12-28-2020, 10:31 AM
dannyss
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 81 Posts

You could also modify the "normal" parameters of the DSC file your running.

Quick Reply: Installing PASM springs on a SPASM car... bad idea?