Sponsored by:

991 Audio Upgrades by Rennspec

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2020, 07:07 PM
Rennspec.com
Former Vendor

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts
Lightbulb 991 Audio Upgrades by Rennspec

Update Jun 2021: Our 991 Stage 1 Audio Upgrade package builder is now live!

Easily compare various options for replacing some (or all) of the factory speakers in your car and find the package that suits you best.

----

Hello Rennlisters!

Today we’re proud to introduce Rennspec—a company dedicated to making it easy to install high-quality audio components in current Porsche vehicles.

We’ve created a line of custom Porsche-specific installation adapters which makes installing audio upgrades simpler than ever before. Our adapters are CAD-designed, and CNC-machined right here in the USA. They are crafted from high-strength HDPE, which unlike MDF adapters will not deteriorate when exposed to moisture. Stainless steel mounting hardware (and brass inserts, when applicable) are also included.

Take a look at our 3 different product offerings:

Complete bundles
A variety of plug-and-play upgrade bundles available for nearly all speaker locations in many Porsche vehicles. These include front and rear door woofers, midranges, center, surround, and tweeters. Many different options from Dynaudio, Audison, and Hertz are available (authorized dealer).

Installation mounting adapters/rings
Mounting adapters available on an a-la-carte basis. These are a great option if you already have your own speakers to install, or you just prefer to create your own custom bundle. Adapters are available in a variety of sizes to accommodate most aftermarket speakers.

Wiring adapters
Assorted wiring adapters for easy final speaker hookups. These include connections for OEM wiring and are made with premium oxygen-free copper (OFC) wire for the best possible audio fidelity. The days of cutting into your factory wiring are over!

Black Friday special!
Use coupon code 'rennlist2020' to receive 10% off all orders (valid through December 3rd). We also offer free ground shipping on all orders over $99.

Visit us at: https://rennspec.com

Happy Holidays and cheers to enjoying some premium sound in your ride.

PS - If you’ve upgraded the audio in your Porsche, we’d love to hear about it! Feel free to share pics and details.

Last edited by Rennspec.com; 06-11-2021 at 06:23 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Rennspec.com:
cpg123 (01-21-2021), PJK3 (11-27-2020), Porsche_nuts (11-26-2020), The Ox (11-28-2020)
Old 11-26-2020, 08:01 PM
isugoo
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 191 Posts

This is great news but I've heard that changing 2 ohm stock speakers with aftermarket speakers (4 ohm) are not recommended as it'll not sound good (this is only reason I haven't done upgrade yet).
And requires full amp upgrade (Nav-TV + DSP amp) are kinda must in order to upgrade speakers. Is that true?
The following 3 users liked this post by isugoo:
Bayern991 (04-06-2022), Rennspec.com (11-27-2020), UH2 (11-30-2020)
Old 11-26-2020, 10:45 PM
ougrad1
Track Day

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by isugoo
This is great news but I've heard that changing 2 ohm stock speakers with aftermarket speakers (4 ohm) are not recommended as it'll not sound good (this is only reason I haven't done upgrade yet).
And requires full amp upgrade (Nav-TV + DSP amp) are kinda must in order to upgrade speakers. Is that true?
I agree. I came from a BMW X5M and they do have products from BavSound who actually match the ohms to ensure it would be plug and play. Talking to them when I upgraded my HK system, the value was keeping the factory amp but using higher sensitivity speakers with better speaker material to produce improved sound quality. For that application, it worked as the music could be played at much higher volume with great warmth and clarity.

This seems like the value is the mounting brackets and plugs for high-end speakers. What I can’t tell is if these speakers were picked to blend well with our factory amp and the ohms as mentioned. I would love to hear from Rennspec on this too.
The following 2 users liked this post by ougrad1:
Omega4 (11-26-2020), Rennspec.com (11-27-2020)
Old 11-26-2020, 11:10 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 747 Likes on 529 Posts

If the build quality is solid, you will likely do very well with your offerings.
The following users liked this post:
Rennspec.com (11-27-2020)
Old 11-27-2020, 12:26 AM
Rennspec.com
Former Vendor

Great questions!

Swapping out speakers with different resistance can have an impact on volume levels. However, the Bose system has some variance in and of itself. For example, the woofers may be 2Ω, the mids are closer to 4, and the tweeters are a bit higher than that (of course, these are nominal values, as resistance can vary quite a bit depending on the frequency being played).

The Bose woofers are actually not terrible. They are highly sensitive and are able to dig down reasonably low. They do tend to get sloppy at higher volumes, so this is where there is a case for swapping them out. However, the gains are modest if you plan on keeping the stock amp.

IMHO, a good place to start would be to look at the tweeters and midrange, as there is a lot of room for improvement in this space. Swapping these out can have a pretty significant improvement in sound depth and clarity.

Originally Posted by ougrad1
I agree. I came from a BMW X5M and they do have products from BavSound who actually match the ohms to ensure it would be plug and play. Talking to them when I upgraded my HK system, the value was keeping the factory amp but using higher sensitivity speakers with better speaker material to produce improved sound quality. For that application, it worked as the music could be played at much higher volume with great warmth and clarity.

This seems like the value is the mounting brackets and plugs for high-end speakers. What I can’t tell is if these speakers were picked to blend well with our factory amp and the ohms as mentioned. I would love to hear from Rennspec on this too.
I would say different lines are suited for different purposes. For example, the Audison Prima line is highly-sensitive (93.5 dB) which would be well-suited for use with the stock amp...it's price point also makes it a fantastic value. Parts of the Dynaudio line would also work well without an amp upgrade (the tweeters and mids in particular), but there are some things like the 10" MW 182 which is really going to take an aftermarket amp to realize its full potential.

Our overall goal is really to provide choice, and allow people to pick a setup that suits their needs best. However, we can probably do a better job of outlining the differences on our site, so thanks for asking the question.

As an aside, I had the Bavsound Stage 1 + Ghost Subs in my F80 M3 a few years back, and was pretty happy with it.
Originally Posted by Jack F
If the build quality is solid, you will likely do very well with your offerings.
Thank you!
Omnigeek (07-08-2024)
Old 11-27-2020, 03:18 AM
PJK3
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

Where were you guys last year? I can't tell you how many hours I spent tracking down various compatible plugs to avoid cutting factory wiring and compatible adapters for aftermarket speakers. DIY 991.1 Sound Package Plus Upgrade

My 8" woofer adapters could do with a more finished replacement, but I suspect I would need the 10" adapters for my Morel MW9's. What are the mounting OD & bolt circle diameter for the 8" and 10" adapters and extensions? (Am I right to assume MW172 and MW182 dimensions of 200mm & 185.75mm and 239 mm & 220mm, respectively?)

Thanks

Last edited by PJK3; 11-27-2020 at 03:19 AM. Reason: typo
The following 4 users liked this post by PJK3:
flgfish (01-21-2021), gravord (04-10-2021), mic_crispy (07-14-2021), Rennspec.com (11-27-2020)
Old 11-27-2020, 11:40 AM
Rennspec.com
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by PJK3
Where were you guys last year? I can't tell you how many hours I spent tracking down various compatible plugs to avoid cutting factory wiring and compatible adapters for aftermarket speakers. DIY 991.1 Sound Package Plus Upgrade
Great write up! Thanks for sharing.
Originally Posted by PJK3
My 8" woofer adapters could do with a more finished replacement, but I suspect I would need the 10" adapters for my Morel MW9's. What are the mounting OD & bolt circle diameter for the 8" and 10" adapters and extensions? (Am I right to assume MW172 and MW182 dimensions of 200mm & 185.75mm and 239 mm & 220mm, respectively?)

Thanks
The MW9 is kind of an in-between size, but it may work with the 10" adapters. These have a 195mm (7.67") center opening, and an outer diameter of 242mm. The 8" version is 174mm (6.85") center opening, and 237mm outer. We don't pre-drill the woofer mounting holes (there is just too much variance between models for this to make sense) but do include stainless steel screws which are specifically designed for HDPE. Details on the appropriate pre-drill size are also included.
PJK3 (11-27-2020)
Old 11-27-2020, 04:18 PM
Jim991
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 132 Posts

I love this. It's about time someone gives Musicar NW some competition. They have been promising a 991.1 upgrade for over a years still nothing. Will sell to local audio car shops with a discount so they can do a turn key install?
The following 2 users liked this post by Jim991:
PJK3 (11-30-2020), Rennspec.com (11-27-2020)
Old 11-27-2020, 06:45 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Here are the specs for the Dynaudio 171 tweeter upgrade:
  • Features: Soft-dome design: 1.1in diameter, Impedance: (4±15%)Ω at 3550Hz, DC resistance: (3.6±15%)Ω, Measured characteristic sensitivity/1m: (86±3) dBSPL, Recommended frequency range: 1.3kHz – 20kHz, Nominal long-term IEC: 120W, Transient: 700W, Net weight: 126g, Overall dimensions: 62 x 41.2mm, and Housing material: PC+ABS (MT131), AL (MT171).

Rennspec.com (11-27-2020)
Old 11-27-2020, 11:30 PM
Rennspec.com
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Jim991
I love this. It's about time someone gives Musicar NW some competition. They have been promising a 991.1 upgrade for over a years still nothing. Will sell to local audio car shops with a discount so they can do a turn key install?
We don't have a dealer program in place just yet, but if there's interest I'm sure we'll be able to put something together.
Old 11-28-2020, 12:25 AM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

It was listed that both Bose and Burmester tweeters are 2 ohm. there was a nice chart that someone put together with all 3 systems and specs for all of the speakers within the system. I cant seem to find it now.
Rennspec.com (11-28-2020)
Old 11-28-2020, 02:48 AM
isugoo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jack F
It was listed that both Bose and Burmester tweeters are 2 ohm. there was a nice chart that someone put together with all 3 systems and specs for all of the speakers within the system. I cant seem to find it now.

I think you're mentioning this one. =)
The following 3 users liked this post by isugoo:
MiguelS (12-31-2020), raceralan (10-28-2023), Rennspec.com (11-28-2020)
Old 11-28-2020, 03:31 PM
Carl Over
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I think you're mentioning this one. =)
I think based on this data, assuming it’s correct replacing with another 4 ohm tweeter is safe. The MD102 is 8 ohm. Anyone with a good understanding of audio and impedance care to chime in on replacement of 4 ohm tweeter with 8 ohm tweeter.
The following 2 users liked this post by Carl Over:
Rennspec.com (11-28-2020), UH2 (09-21-2021)
Old 11-28-2020, 04:09 PM
isugoo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carl Over
I think based on this data, assuming it’s correct replacing with another 4 ohm tweeter is safe. The MD102 is 8 ohm. Anyone with a good understanding of audio and impedance care to chime in on replacement of 4 ohm tweeter with 8 ohm tweeter.
Not an expert but so far, everyone who upgraded with MD102 tweeters from Musicar, I haven't seen anyone complaining including myself.
Glad to see same MD102 upgrade tweeter kits from Rennspec with more reasonable price!
Rennspec.com (11-28-2020)
Old 11-28-2020, 05:16 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts

Cool stuff! Currently have the musicar tweeters on a Bose system with the center dash speaker disconnected. What would be a logical next step up from here? Upgrade just the mids and see how that sounds? Seems like the Bose woofer is decent and less bang for the buck there.
The following 2 users liked this post by titleistaddict87:
9912B (12-04-2020), Rennspec.com (11-28-2020)

Quick Reply: 991 Audio Upgrades by Rennspec