Sponsored by:

991.2 Tail Lights Removal Easy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2020, 03:28 PM
quattroboy
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by SwedeInNY
Have you done this mod or is this just as an FYI? I have the darkened Euro-spec lights on order and am curious if there will be any coding required for this switch? (From what I’ve read there is a minor adaptation of the harness connector required.) If anyone is interested I’ll have a pair of darkened US-spec lights for sale in a few weeks when my order has arrived.
Just a FYI. Not sure about the coding for the switch and any connector modifications, I had assumed it was plug and play. Please let us know when you get them installed.
Old 11-16-2020, 04:00 PM
tourenwagen
Three Wheelin'

Received 4,467 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by nicholascanada
‘To confirm, you don’t need to open engine compartment? Simply raise the spoiler ? I am guessing there is a higher setting for the spoiler than just pressing the button, as it is not the high to access.

Also the black plastic trim pieces are below the spoiler, butting up against the lights? They seem really tight so I thought they were screwed in themselves but I guess not the case then.
I have the T so my spoiler goes a little higher than most. Just enough to get a medium sized ratchet and torx socket in there. It's a squeeze.

And you are correct, just give that plastic piece on each side a firm tug upwards and it will pop out.
Old 12-22-2020, 02:27 PM
SwedeInNY
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts

I finally received my Euro-spec tinted tail lights to replace my US-spec tinted lights ahead of our move back to Europe and just performed the switch today. As many have stated above this is fairly straight forward:

1. My car is a Targa so I needed to move the glass section about half way back to gain access and I would guess lifting the engine cover on a coupe/convertible would achieve the same thing. Also spoiler needs to be in the raised position.
2. There are black plastic covers on each side that are held by 3 (I think) plastic "fingers" that attach to the car by rubber grommets. These pull straight up quite easily. On the driver side you need to temporarily remove the oil and coolant caps to be able to remove the plastic cover. It also helps to partly disconnect the plastic fan cover on each side to gain access to one of the 3 "fingers".
3. Underneath the the plastic covers you gain access to 2 smaller Torx screws (the larger Torx screws do not need to be removed) that hold the lights. You will need an angled wrench to work these as the spoiler will leave a limited amount of room. I think usually the light should easily pull straight out once the 2 screws have been removed, at least they did on one of my lights. The other was a little trickier... The light is held in place from above and the vertical position of the light can be adjusted by turning the receiving end of the bolt on the light itself up and down by screwing in/out. By screwing this adjustment bolt further into the light the unit came out very easily.
4. Once the light is out, the harness disconnects by pressing a plastic tab underneath.

Mounting the Euro-spec lights requires trimming a little bit of the harness connector on the light unit. Once you see the harness you'll understand how the adjustment needs to be made. This is quite easily done with a rotary tool/Dremel. Otherwise attaching the lights is done by following the above in reverse. Some pictures of the process below but happy to answer any questions from members looking to do this themselves. I proactively (for once) taped off the area around the lights to avoid scratching the rear bumper cover. The final picture shows the turn indicators as they flash amber (instead of the red pattern for the US-spec units) but other than this they look identical. Will be posting an add in the market place shortly to sell the tinted US tail lights if anyone is interested (https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1228870).
Attached Images      

Last edited by SwedeInNY; 12-22-2020 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Added link to market place post.
The following 4 users liked this post by SwedeInNY:
edirtaynine (12-22-2020), polobai (12-22-2020), quattroboy (12-22-2020), r00t61 (03-08-2021)
Old 12-22-2020, 03:41 PM
LWG
Burning Brakes

Received 640 Likes on 237 Posts

I finally received my Euro-spec tinted tail lights to replace my US-spec tinted lights ahead of our move back to Europe and just performed the switch today. As many have stated above this is fairly straight forward:

1. My car is a Targa so I needed to move the glass section about half way back to gain access and I would guess lifting the engine cover on a coupe/convertible would achieve the same thing. Also spoiler needs to be in the raised position.
2. There are black plastic covers on each side that are held by 3 (I think) plastic "fingers" that attach to the car by rubber grommets. These pull straight up quite easily. On the driver side you need to temporarily remove the oil and coolant caps to be able to remove the plastic cover. It also helps to partly disconnect the plastic fan cover on each side to gain access to one of the 3 "fingers".
3. Underneath the the plastic covers you gain access to 2 smaller Torx screws (the larger Torx screws do not need to be removed) that hold the lights. You will need an angled wrench to work these as the spoiler will leave a limited amount of room. I think usually the light should easily pull straight out once the 2 screws have been removed, at least they did on one of my lights. The other was a little trickier... The light is held in place from above and the vertical position of the light can be adjusted by turning the receiving end of the bolt on the light itself up and down by screwing in/out. By screwing this adjustment bolt further into the light the unit came out very easily.
4. Once the light is out, the harness disconnects by pressing a plastic tab underneath.

Mounting the Euro-spec lights requires trimming a little bit of the harness connector on the light unit. Once you see the harness you'll understand how the adjustment needs to be made. This is quite easily done with a rotary tool/Dremel. Otherwise attaching the lights is done by following the above in reverse. Some pictures of the process below but happy to answer any questions from members looking to do this themselves. I proactively (for once) taped off the area around the lights to avoid scratching the rear bumper cover. The final picture shows the turn indicators as they flash amber (instead of the red pattern for the US-spec units) but other than this they look identical. Will be posting an add in the market place shortly to sell the tinted US tail lights if anyone is interested (https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1228870).
Its odd because if you study the US Spec lights you can see the row of LED's. I bet internally they are just wired differently. But who wants to cut up a working expensive tail light. Very nicely done!
Old 12-22-2020, 08:38 PM
krburrell
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks for info. I was going to reach out to you to get an update. Can you post the part numbers of the euro lights?
Old 12-22-2020, 10:21 PM
SwedeInNY
Intermediate

Originally Posted by krburrell
Thanks for info. I was going to reach out to you to get an update. Can you post the part numbers of the euro lights?
Not entirely certain on the part numbers. I bought a kit with both left and right where the box says 991 044 902 20. Each light comes in its own smaller box with part numbers 991 631 974 02 & 991 631 973 02 respectively. Unfortunately I didn't take any part numbers of the units themselves. Waited for well over a month for an order from Suncoast before they finally reverted and said they had not ETA. Was then able to secure the last pair that design911.co.uk had in stock with only a 3 day delivery to NY.
Old 12-24-2020, 12:25 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,576 Likes on 975 Posts

Just changed to clear rear tailights this morning. Christmas present to self. 15 minutes with a T 25 torx bit and a small flathead screwdriver. Difficulty level 1/10.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:45 PM
3point6
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Not entirely certain on the part numbers. I bought a kit with both left and right where the box says 991 044 902 20. Each light comes in its own smaller box with part numbers 991 631 974 02 & 991 631 973 02 respectively. Unfortunately I didn't take any part numbers of the units themselves. Waited for well over a month for an order from Suncoast before they finally reverted and said they had not ETA. Was then able to secure the last pair that design911.co.uk had in stock with only a 3 day delivery to NY.
Looking to do the same, wanted to ask if you had any weird dash lights coming off after connecting these euro versions, noticed the little plastic trimming on the unit wasn't that bad, assume the harness clips back tightly in place after that?, appreciate the information and feedback, thanks
Old 03-08-2021, 05:34 AM
SwedeInNY
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 3point6
Looking to do the same, wanted to ask if you had any weird dash lights coming off after connecting these euro versions, noticed the little plastic trimming on the unit wasn't that bad, assume the harness clips back tightly in place after that?, appreciate the information and feedback, thanks
No warning lights and no error/dash lights. Harness is held in place with a locking mechanism and does not depend on an overly "tight fit" (although it still fits tight with even below average trimming skills...).
Old 03-14-2021, 04:04 PM
3point6
Pro

No warning lights and no error/dash lights. Harness is held in place with a locking mechanism and does not depend on an overly "tight fit" (although it still fits tight with even below average trimming skills...).
Late reply but appreciate the feedback, now this project is added to my wish list, would you mind sharing part numbers and where did you sourced them, thanks again
Old 03-15-2021, 04:47 AM
SwedeInNY
Intermediate

Old 03-15-2021, 04:02 PM
3point6
Pro

Appreciate the information, will do some research and see if anyone has these available, they look awesome on your car, thanks again
Old 04-11-2021, 04:29 PM
PoleinCalgary
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a 2018 991.2 C4 with a manual transmission and have a question for you because I'd like to convert my rear lights, too. I've been looking for a solution for a long time and wanted to import rear lights form Europe however I had a concern. This is my concern: when you apply the brake in your 911, won't your right and left turn signals light up at the same time as your brake lights?
Old 04-12-2021, 04:39 AM
SwedeInNY
Intermediate

While I understand your concern this is not how it works. The lights are wired differently inside so the correct signal is sent to the correct light. When importing these lights from Europe, make sure you get the version for left hand drive (LHD) so that your rear fog light ends up on the correct side (i.e. the left side). Good luck, this is an easy mod!
Old 04-12-2021, 01:29 PM
PoleinCalgary
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I understand your concern this is not how it works. The lights are wired differently inside so the correct signal is sent to the correct light. When importing these lights from Europe, make sure you get the version for left hand drive (LHD) so that your rear fog light ends up on the correct side (i.e. the left side). Good luck, this is an easy mod!
Thank you very much for your response. Thank you that you mentioned the rear fog light, because my next question would be related to it. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Tail Lights Removal Easy?