In the market for 991

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2020, 05:20 PM
digitalwiz
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by B Russ
Only way I go ^^^
It's my understanding that a car with an accident can still be CPO'ed. I know that's the case with BMW CPO. either way, get a ppi.
Old 11-10-2020, 05:33 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by 3Series
Yeah old news, could happen anywhere. Still doesn't explain the sketchy folks comments.

Hmm, more accidents in general.....crazy drivers.....maybe. It sill doesn't explain the S FL negativity on used cars.
I got the same response from multiple sources when I was considering several cars from South FL. I did more digging and determined there are a lot of used car dealers who take hurricane, flood damaged and otherwise wrecked cars and "refurbish' them. The images you find for those cars on salvage auction sites do not match with the claimed "minor damage" being advertised. The dealer ratings seem suspect as well as they vary significantly depending on the tool you are using to check. However, I did find a few dealers I thought were suspect, that rennlist members assured me were really good. When in doubt, ask here.

Personally, I find Chicago area dealers are worse.
Old 11-10-2020, 07:22 PM
Anil Vurakaranam
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/WP0AB2A96CS121339

Certified preowned with minor damage
Old 11-10-2020, 07:59 PM
ducktails
Racer

Received 462 Likes on 188 Posts

Although CPO is marketed as some kind of "mark of excellence", being only for cars that are "cream of the crop", I see it as more like a factory/dealer backed warranty for cars that can be cleared through a fairly basic checklist by a dealership tech. It's great and really worth having, but it's not indicative of the car being a cream puff by any means. It's also important to note that for cars like these, not all damage or accidents get on a carfax and the CPO process may not be completely geared to identifying non-obvious repair work.

I guess where I'm going with this is ... CPO or no, a good independent PPI is a must - and if it checks out there, future buyers will get the same answer on their own PPI. Just adjust your purchase price down accordingly as the next buyer will do so as well.
Old 11-10-2020, 08:53 PM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Received 813 Likes on 542 Posts

When I was looking there was a dealer in south Fl called Off Lease Only, just about every one of their cars had accidents on the car fax. Yes a minor repair can still get CPO
Old 11-11-2020, 07:43 AM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts

This is in some ways a matter of how much financial risk you are willing to accept. One of my 911's (a 991) was hit is the rear, needed 50K worth of repairs. The car was done by a Porsche (they do Ferrari, Lamborghini, and many others) certified shop, and when it was done the car was better than when I bought it. Yes I took a small hit (5K) when I traded it in on another Porsche, and I actually tried to buy it back but someone was in the process of buying it and the deal went through. I have owned close to 500 cars and many were probably (Carfax is not something that has been around as long as I have) in some sort of accident. These are machines, machine break, bend, and need to be repaired, and in many cases they can be made better. If you are one of those never buy a car with an accident that is fine but over the last few year three of my cars were hit (in all three cases I was at a full stop. The repairs exceeded 120K and still own one of those cars, which was repaired by the same body shop that fixed my 991. I also own a manufacturer buyback car (it was bought back for excessive battery drain, yes that is the reason), that I bought for half of sticker with a full warranty (2016 AMG GTS 156K sticker), that I just put into winter storage. When you have owned as many cars as I have over the years you run into lots of things, and I have been on Ferrarichat (I have owned Ferrari's for more than 25 years) for over 17 years and you would b surprised how many of those cars have been in accidents that do not show up on carfax (it is not that difficult to keep that information off carfax), and I know a least 10 people who bought Ferrari's that were in accidents, it is more common than you think.
The following 2 users liked this post by 1Carnut:
Medakiss (11-12-2020), tjg81296 (11-11-2020)
Old 11-12-2020, 08:41 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 430 Likes on 307 Posts
Default Off lease

Sells near totaled cars. Never buy a car from or near Miami, in one small municipality called Hialeah they have 400 stolen cars a month. South FL is home of the chop shop.

Originally Posted by B Russ
When I was looking there was a dealer in south Fl called Off Lease Only, just about every one of their cars had accidents on the car fax. Yes a minor repair can still get CPO
Old 11-12-2020, 05:52 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 715 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by Anil Vurakaranam
https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/WP0AB2A96CS121339

Certified preowned with minor damage
Coming up 404 “page not found” for me?

Quick Reply: In the market for 991