Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual Shifting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2020 | 12:17 PM
The Ox
Rennlist Member

Default Manual Shifting Problem

I had an issue yesterday, and would appreciate any thoughts from the knowledge bank here to weigh in. I have a ’17, base manual, about 22k miles. As I was driving around town, it was getting progressively harder to shift. It felt like the clutch wasn’t working, engaging. Like the power plates were stuck in place if that, makes sense. No slippage, etc. I have been driving manuals for 40 years, I know when a clutch is slipping. Car also stumbled a little. It got so bad, I pulled off onto a side street (for those of you on Long Island, NY, I was on Jericho Turnpike in Syosset). When I stopped, I could not get the car in gear. I did not want to force it. I turned the car off, sat about 30 seconds, fired it up again, and was able to get in into gear. It felt stiff on the way home, (about 5 miles). I haven’t been able to try it today, stuck in the office (home office) all day.

The car is going in this Friday to put winter rubber on. I spoke with a tech, he said it was an unusual problem, and they’ll check it out Friday. Any thoughts?
Old 11-04-2020 | 12:19 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Sounds like possibly an issue with the clutch master or slave cylinder not allowing the clutch to disengage.

Does it shift fine with the car off?
Old 11-04-2020 | 12:23 PM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Maybe a throw-out bearing?

Old 11-04-2020 | 12:30 PM
The Ox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
Sounds like possibly an issue with the clutch master or slave cylinder not allowing the clutch to disengage.

Thanks for the reply. No, same if the car is on or off.

I'll check it out around 2pm today when I have some time. Swamped with work, calls, clients , etc.

Last edited by The Ox; 11-04-2020 at 12:39 PM.
Old 11-04-2020 | 12:32 PM
The Ox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85

Originally Posted by NiteJav
Interesting, thanks.
Old 11-04-2020 | 12:56 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

The shifters run on cables, could be a binding somewhere in the cable, a bushing, etc., or the complex mechanical linkage that converts your shift into something the transmission understands. There are a lot of parts going on in a 991 manual transmission, its quite complex.

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...pdk-tech-dept/
The following users liked this post:
AdamSanta85 (11-04-2020)
Old 11-04-2020 | 01:02 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drcollie
The shifters run on cables, could be a binding somewhere in the cable, a bushing, etc., or the complex mechanical linkage that converts your shift into something the transmission understands. There are a lot of parts going on in a 991 manual transmission, its quite complex.

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...pdk-tech-dept/
That's my next guess, as OP said the car has shifting issues with car running and off.
Old 11-04-2020 | 04:40 PM
Class5Kayaker
Pro

You pressure plate is failing. EXACT same symptoms happened to me. A couple more shifts and the only way you'll be able to change gears is turning the car off and doing it, and turning it back on again but you won't be able to change gears when the car is running except maybe shift into neutral.

Mine happened to me at 33k miles under CPO. Porsche covered it to include the flywheel (tech said it caused damage to the flywheel as well), and only cost me new clutch disc and throwout bearing and that's just because I said, "you might as well replace those while you're in there."

I want to say it's a $4-5k job done at the dealer if it's out of pocket. I can look at my paperwork tonight if you'd like me to.

*I have a VERY good relationship with my dealer, and the SA and Techs had to advocate for me with PCNA for this being a part failure and not because of me not knowing how to drive a stick properly. Probably helps that the tech and I have been to the same track events....lol

Last edited by Class5Kayaker; 11-04-2020 at 04:42 PM.
Rich_Jenkins (11-04-2020)
Old 11-04-2020 | 04:45 PM
Class5Kayaker
Pro

Oh, and I'd recommend getting the car towed to the dealer. Don't drive it any more, because if things let loose in your transmission you could make things a whole lot worse than they currently are.
Old 11-04-2020 | 05:20 PM
The Ox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Class5Kayaker
You pressure plate is failing. EXACT same symptoms happened to me. A couple more shifts and the only way you'll be able to change gears is turning the car off and doing it, and turning it back on again but you won't be able to change gears when the car is running except maybe shift into neutral.

Mine happened to me at 33k miles under CPO. Porsche covered it to include the flywheel (tech said it caused damage to the flywheel as well), and only cost me new clutch disc and throwout bearing and that's just because I said, "you might as well replace those while you're in there."

I want to say it's a $4-5k job done at the dealer if it's out of pocket. I can look at my paperwork tonight if you'd like me to.

*I have a VERY good relationship with my dealer, and the SA and Techs had to advocate for me with PCNA for this being a part failure and not because of me not knowing how to drive a stick properly. Probably helps that the tech and I have been to the same track events....lol
Thank you. I appreciate it. I am curious , what did they charge you for the new clutch disc and throw-out bearing? I bought the car new, just passed 3 years so this should be a warranty issue. Sobering...
Old 11-04-2020 | 05:29 PM
Class5Kayaker
Pro

Originally Posted by The Ox
Thank you. I appreciate it. I am curious , what did they charge you for the new clutch disc and throw-out bearing? I bought the car new, just passed 3 years so this should be a warranty issue. Sobering...
I'll check the invoice when I get home (I save everything) and respond back here in a couple of hours
Old 11-04-2020 | 05:34 PM
The Ox
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Class5Kayaker
I'll check the invoice when I get home (I save everything) and respond back here in a couple of hours
Thank you. I keep everything also, in a binder.

Last edited by The Ox; 11-04-2020 at 05:41 PM.
Class5Kayaker (11-04-2020)
Old 11-04-2020 | 06:54 PM
Rennlist Member

Does it make any noises?
Old 11-04-2020 | 07:50 PM
Class5Kayaker
Pro

Originally Posted by The Ox
Thank you. I keep everything also, in a binder.
Forgot once they got in there they determined the discs were damaged and they covered everything under warranty. It wasn't going to be very expensive IIRC (a few hundred bucks).
Attached Images  
The following 2 users liked this post by Class5Kayaker:
The Ox (11-04-2020), tourenwagen (11-05-2020)
Old 11-04-2020 | 08:25 PM
The Ox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911.
Does it make any noises?
No, just wouldn't go into gear. I drove it today about 5 mins around the neighborhood, engagement was rough. In the driveaway I could engage and disengage, but not nearly as smooth as it should be. Scheduled for Friday tire swap, going to try and drop it off tomorrow.

Thanks everyone, for all of the info (especially Class5Kayaker), this forum really is a great community and a wealth of information. If any of you ever have a questions about a bass guitar, amp etc., drop me a line.
All the best,
PAUL aka, The Ox.

Quick Reply: Manual Shifting Problem