Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual Shifting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2020 | 08:46 PM
The Ox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Class5Kayaker
Forgot once they got in there they determined the discs were damaged and they covered everything under warranty. It wasn't going to be very expensive IIRC (a few hundred bucks).
Excellent info, thanks.
Old 11-06-2020 | 02:33 PM
The Ox
Rennlist Member

Porsche tech just called me, said they lubricated the shifter bushings. The car was okay when I dropped it off, no problems.

When this happened to you, were you able to drive the car with no problems and it subsequently reappeared?

UPDATE: Invoice says: " Found shifter cable bushing dry, Bushings lubricated". Car feels fine, I'll keep you apprised.

Last edited by The Ox; 11-06-2020 at 05:03 PM.
Old 11-07-2020 | 11:24 AM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

curious/long shot question: when you put the car in reverse do the backup lights come on as they should?
Old 11-07-2020 | 11:49 AM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jfischet
curious/long shot question: when you put the car in reverse do the backup lights come on as they should?
Excellent question.
Hopefully the answer is "Yes".
Old 11-08-2020 | 10:51 AM
The Ox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by duxsi
Excellent question.
Hopefully the answer is "Yes".
Yes, wife says they came on . Sounds like good news, what if the answer was no?
Old 11-08-2020 | 11:10 AM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

if the answer was no, then i was thinking it was possible a piece broke off inside the transmission and was interfering with the shifting. good thing they are working!

thread about that issue:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1191...7-mt-cars.html
Old 11-08-2020 | 11:20 AM
The Ox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jfischet
if the answer was no, then i was thinking it was possible a piece broke off inside the transmission and was interfering with the shifting. good thing they are working!

thread about that issue:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1191...7-mt-cars.html
Good info for the future, thanks.
Old 11-10-2020 | 11:35 AM
Class5Kayaker
Pro

Originally Posted by The Ox
Porsche tech just called me, said they lubricated the shifter bushings. The car was okay when I dropped it off, no problems.

When this happened to you, were you able to drive the car with no problems and it subsequently reappeared?

UPDATE: Invoice says: " Found shifter cable bushing dry, Bushings lubricated". Car feels fine, I'll keep you apprised.
When it happened to me, shifting gears became more and more difficult for about a week. Didn't require a ton of force, but it was more than normal. Then it suddenly wouldn't shift for me between a 1-2 shift. I could not get the car into gear without turning the car off, shifting, and then back on. It was hard-broken.
Old 11-11-2020 | 11:28 AM
The Ox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Class5Kayaker
When it happened to me, shifting gears became more and more difficult for about a week. Didn't require a ton of force, but it was more than normal. Then it suddenly wouldn't shift for me between a 1-2 shift. I could not get the car into gear without turning the car off, shifting, and then back on. It was hard-broken.
Interesting, mine hasn't returned, yet. Is it does, I'll be back. Thanks again for all of the info.
Old 11-11-2020 | 11:33 AM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

One thought - if you still experience issues with shifting, replace everything with Numeric Racing's kit, While not cheap (the bundle to include the cables in currently on sale) those that have it seem extremely pleased with it and how it performs. I would personally do this over repeated visits to the dealer to work on the factory cables.

They will also sell you just the cables.

https://store.numericracing.com/coll...1-transmission
Old 11-11-2020 | 11:49 AM
rugu6869
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by drcollie
One thought - if you still experience issues with shifting, replace everything with Numeric Racing's kit, While not cheap (the bundle to include the cables in currently on sale) those that have it seem extremely pleased with it and how it performs. I would personally do this over repeated visits to the dealer to work on the factory cables.

I just had the shifter and cables installed. To say this is an upgrade over stock is such an understatement!
The car feels so much more special with how short and positive the shifter action is and how much more precise it is. It is one of the best upgrades you can make. We drive a manual car for a reason - driving interaction. This elevates the experience to the next level.
SO worth it!
The following 2 users liked this post by rugu6869:
drcollie (11-11-2020), The Ox (11-11-2020)
Old 11-11-2020 | 04:43 PM
Numeric Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by rugu6869
I just had the shifter and cables installed. To say this is an upgrade over stock is such an understatement!
The car feels so much more special with how short and positive the shifter action is and how much more precise it is. It is one of the best upgrades you can make. We drive a manual car for a reason - driving interaction. This elevates the experience to the next level.
SO worth it!
Wow! What awesome feedback! Thank you, glad you are enjoying it!

www.numericracing.com
sales@numericracing.com
Ph: 844-686-7223
Old 11-11-2020 | 05:18 PM
The Ox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drcollie

Thanks, it's on the list. What is a reasonable estimate, time, for install?
Old 11-11-2020 | 05:20 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Has anyone done this install themselves on the Numeric Racing Shifter on a 991? What's involved doing the cables? All done from the interior or does the car have to be lifted and go in from underneath? I'm considering a buy on this kit myself, but won't have someone install it.
Old 11-11-2020 | 05:49 PM
The Ox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rugu6869
SO worth it!
Did you use a 1.5mm or 2MM ?
Indy shop or dealer, and how long did it take, $ charge, etc. ?
Thanks.

Quick Reply: Manual Shifting Problem