Sponsored by:

Advice wanted on purchasing a 2017 Carrera base

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2020, 11:20 PM
dallasporsche911
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Advice wanted on purchasing a 2017 Carrera base

I am looking to purchase a 2017 Carrera 911 (base) model. I would obviously get a PPI prior to purchasing it but I still feel like I do not know what to look for. The price for this vehicle is $74,000 with 18,000 miles and it has a factory warranty through mid-November. The base MSRP was $106K. The car appears flawless and it has a clean carfax. I know the PPI will really tell the story of the condition of the vehicle but how can I tell if I am getting a good deal? Given the chance to purchase an extended warranty, is that something I should purchase from the dealership? I see myself keeping this vehicle for a long long time. I do not see myself tracking it and now that I work from home, it will literally be my daily driver and I would likely put under 4000 miles per year, potentially a lot less than that. Any advice for how to look at this deal? Thank you.
Old 11-03-2020, 01:50 AM
dkhm3
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

You can shop extended warranties from 3rd party companies like fidelity.
If the car is not CPO from the dealer you can ask them why.
you can ask the dealership for maintenance records on the car and warranty work done on it.
2017 was the first year of the 3.0 turbo motor and there are a few known issues with it.

you should use the search.
Make sure the car has the options you find most important. Upgrading the lights OEM LED, for example or trying to add sports chrono launch control is damn near impossible or costly.

you should not rush to buy it if you are not ready and educated about this purchase.

good luck.
The following users liked this post:
dallasporsche911 (11-03-2020)
Old 11-03-2020, 08:00 AM
ktnielsen
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 47 Posts

Find out where the car has been serviced. Hopefully it was at Porsche. If so, give the service advisor the vin# and should be able to find out all the complaints the previous owner may have had.
Old 11-03-2020, 11:49 AM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 715 Likes on 479 Posts

Is it this one?

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing
Old 11-03-2020, 12:01 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 715 Likes on 479 Posts

Hard to say if the price is good / bad without a list of options, condition, etc. Car is being sold with a month left on the warranty. Why? If it's the black car linked, it is being sold after being owned by second owner for 5 months. Why? 18K miles, how are the tires? Budget $1.6K-18K, maybe, for a set of Michelins. Check brakes front and rear for rotor dishing; easy DIY for both pads and rotors, or it's an arm+leg deal at the dealer.

Is the 20K/two-year service due? That's an oil change and brake fluid, couple filters (cabin and frunk, easy peasy DIY+parts), IIRC. Pretty straightforward stuff. There are not a huge amount of problems on these cars on the forums, from what I've seen. I guess one is the Water Pump leaking; generally fixed under warranty. Definitely something to look for under the rear of the car after an overnight sit. If you see coolant, def get it to the dealer while it is under warranty (the water pump may have been replaced already; hence getting the service records.) There are some threads on the door panel separating; be good to look for that also.

I bought my CPO '17 as the second owner last June with 18K, now 27K, no major issues, it's been fun and reliable. I really enjoy it.

Good luck!
The following 2 users liked this post by Rich_Jenkins:
dallasporsche911 (11-03-2020), I am the Walrus (11-03-2020)
Old 11-03-2020, 12:17 PM
dallasporsche911
Rennlist Member

Yes, that is the one on Autotrader.

Old 11-03-2020, 12:21 PM
dallasporsche911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins
Hard to say if the price is good / bad without a list of options, condition, etc. Car is being sold with a month left on the warranty. Why? If it's the black car linked, it is being sold after being owned by second owner for 5 months. Why? 18K miles, how are the tires? Budget $1.6K-18K, maybe, for a set of Michelins. Check brakes front and rear for rotor dishing; easy DIY for both pads and rotors, or it's an arm+leg deal at the dealer.

Is the 20K/two-year service due? That's an oil change and brake fluid, couple filters (cabin and frunk, easy peasy DIY+parts), IIRC. Pretty straightforward stuff. There are not a huge amount of problems on these cars on the forums, from what I've seen. I guess one is the Water Pump leaking; generally fixed under warranty. Definitely something to look for under the rear of the car after an overnight sit. If you see coolant, def get it to the dealer while it is under warranty (the water pump may have been replaced already; hence getting the service records.) There are some threads on the door panel separating; be good to look for that also.

I bought my CPO '17 as the second owner last June with 18K, now 27K, no major issues, it's been fun and reliable. I really enjoy it.

Good luck!
What I am finding is that I need to better understand the ins and outs of buying a 911. I plan on using the search feature and connecting with members that know a lot more than I do. Its ok when things go south and it was unavoidable, its another thing when some prevention could have prevented much of the pain.
Old 11-03-2020, 12:45 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 124 Posts

The ins and outs are no different from any other car.
Parts are reasonably priced and widely available, and dealerships tend to gouge on routine service charges.

A good Indy shop is the way to go and as long as you maintain the car, you'll be fine.
You can also do a lot of the maintenance yourself (if you are technically inclined) as it's an extremely easy engine to work on.
The water pumps are known to have issues on early 991.2 (which is well documented), but no other known issues.

Lastly, people flip these cars at an alarming rate for a variety of reasons (Off lease, boredom, life changes, new-toy syndrome, etc), so # of owners shouldn't necessarily be a red flag.
You'll find far more real-world information on this forum than from any salesman or service advisor, both of whom are known to trawl these boards.

Rich_Jenkins (11-03-2020)
Old 11-03-2020, 12:47 PM
9ELOVIN
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

Jut my $.02: The black Coupe listed in AutoTrader appears to have all the comfort options (Bose sound, 18-way, heated and cooled seats, glass sunroof, LED head lights) but light on performance options (sport Chrono, sport exhaust, PASM, 4 wheel steering... ). Whether that is good depends entirely upon you. The base Coupe has all the performance you likely need. Adding options you wish the car had is expensive. I'm guessing that because it's not a performance-oriented spec, it's not been abused. Very hard to hide imperfections on a black car. I doubt you really need an extended warranty when you will be putting few miles on the car. Whether the price is good will depend on your negotiating ability and what's available in your area.
Old 11-03-2020, 12:50 PM
myrr
Pro

Received 312 Likes on 154 Posts

I would pass on this car personally based on the fact that the wheels have been painted/coated. I'm not a fan of the tinted windows either...

Whoever the original owner was, it doesn't look like they took the greatest care of the interior....

https://www.platinumautohaus.com/201...ra-c-13493.htm

Last edited by myrr; 11-03-2020 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11-03-2020, 12:56 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by 9ELOVIN
Jut my $.02: The black Coupe listed in AutoTrader appears to have all the comfort options (Bose sound, 18-way, heated and cooled seats, glass sunroof, LED head lights) but light on performance options (sport Chrono, sport exhaust, PASM, 4 wheel steering... ). Whether that is good depends entirely upon you. The base Coupe has all the performance you likely need. Adding options you wish the car had is expensive. I'm guessing that because it's not a performance-oriented spec, it's not been abused. Very hard to hide imperfections on a black car. I doubt you really need an extended warranty when you will be putting few miles on the car. Whether the price is good will depend on your negotiating ability and what's available in your area.
Sport Chrono ahs less value on a manual transmission car. PASM was standard. 4-wheel steering was unavailable on base cars.
Old 11-03-2020, 01:00 PM
dallasporsche911
Rennlist Member

Anybody else want to throw their $.02 in as well (I am not being sarcastic)? I am actually less inclined on the performance parts and more on the comfort. That said, I would like to mod the exhaust note so I would appreciate anyone's input on how feasible that is on the base model. Not to be lazy (ironically I am a productivity coach) but I just don't know the ins and outs of what to look for but what suggestions would anyone have for doing due diligence other than a PPI? Does anything look suspicious on the Carfax? With 2 weeks remaining on the warranty, is it worth rushing to get an extended warranty from Porsche? Owner appears firm on $74,000.
Old 11-03-2020, 01:04 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,312 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
Sport Chrono ahs less value on a manual transmission car. PASM was standard. 4-wheel steering was unavailable on base cars.
I used to think that way, and have actually come to the opposite opinion. Having spent 10,000+ miles with both, it turns out I really like SC with the 7MT. Why? Unlike SC + PDK, the Sport and, especially, Sport Plus modes alter a number of things for the better while you maintain control of the shifting. Everything is more "on the boil," particularly in Sport Plus. Only downside is fuel economy, which isn't much of a downside in my view. Took a chance on SC with the second car, mainly for the dynamic engine mounts, and am so glad I did—mainly, instead, for the way it "wakes up" the car.

Originally Posted by dallasporsche911
Anybody else want to throw their $.02 in as well (I am not being sarcastic)? I am actually less inclined on the performance parts and more on the comfort. That said, I would like to mod the exhaust note so I would appreciate anyone's input on how feasible that is on the base model. Not to be lazy (ironically I am a productivity coach) but I just don't know the ins and outs of what to look for but what suggestions would anyone have for doing due diligence other than a PPI? Does anything look suspicious on the Carfax? With 2 weeks remaining on the warranty, is it worth rushing to get an extended warranty from Porsche? Owner appears firm on $74,000.
I lowered my current 991.2 Carrera, and mostly wish I hadn't. It looks a lot better, but the looks come with a price when it comes to the handling. It isn't awful by any means, but it isn't as brilliant as it was. May address it with a better setup, or go back to stock. The 991.2 Carrera's stock suspension is easily one of Porsche's all-time best for road driving. I'd live with the exhaust for a while, as I wanted "more" for some time and am increasingly happy with it—though I still get the yearning every now and again. If I do something, it will be some sound deadening delete (Carrera T style) first, and then maybe a Sharkwerks 991.2 base exhaust or Fister redo of the factory mufflers (if Darren develops something). Would love more voice when I'm on it, but don't want or need anything obnoxious and am not willing to compromise the stealthy aspects when I am not on it—which is a lot of the time as it's my daily.

For diligence, these cars are new enough that I would simply check Carfax, have a report on the engine computer to check for over-revs (!), and then take the car to a body shop (not the dealer's) to have it looked over for paint thickness and/or accident repairs. I wouldn't, however, move slowly. 991.2 Carreras with manual gearboxes are rare things. If you can have the person who has put the miles take you out for a ride (so you can see how they shift the thing, and treat a cold engine), all the better.

Last edited by stout; 11-03-2020 at 01:15 PM.
ngamountains (11-03-2020)
Old 11-03-2020, 01:30 PM
ngamountains
Racer

Received 273 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by dallasporsche911
One thing that jumps out at me is that, with two weeks remaining under warranty, and the number of people even on this forum who express hesitation about owning such a car out of warranty, that car is going to be significantly less attractive in two weeks dollar-wise. If you really like the other aspects of the car, I wouldn’t hesitate to probe with a lower offer just how “firm” the owner is, because he also hears the clock ticking.
Old 11-03-2020, 01:33 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

To OP
regarding exhaust mods, since turbocharged, not really required. If you want more sound, change the cats with sport cats from SOUL. A very good product

also, buying a base car is not bad per Stout above. Lower cost Leaves extra budget if you want to add other mods such as tuning, etc.
with simple tune from APR, softronic, VF engineering, Cobb etc you can easily get close to 500hp on this model with 91/93 fuel.
Good luck in your quest.

Last edited by tgavem; 11-03-2020 at 07:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Advice wanted on purchasing a 2017 Carrera base