Softronic Tune- 991.2 review

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2023, 06:11 PM
PVKPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
Default So what?

Originally Posted by smell911
You're on a forum asking questions that have been asked many times over many years. The info is there and nothing is new.
Most who got a Softronic tune are happy.
FVD seems similar.
APR feedback similar
Most who got an early Cobb tune were happier before they/Cobb changed the tune to comply with EPA.
Just spend your $1-2k and then start investigating what's next like the rest of us.
Wow, how friendly is this response but appreciate the update. Like the OP before I spend $1-2k, I want to know the latest feedback because technology changes and some things get better. Rather find that out before buying
Old 08-30-2023, 08:34 AM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 692 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by pkancel
Wow, how friendly is this response but appreciate the update. Like the OP before I spend $1-2k, I want to know the latest feedback because technology changes and some things get better. Rather find that out before buying
A file maximized for your car is the way it is unless you want more/upgrade. If something is improved for a specific platform, some vendors will offer updates.
Old 08-30-2023, 07:55 PM
Picketthouse
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

Someone please convince me to pull the trigger and get a tune. I have a 991.2 c4s with bmc filter, flat 6 divertor valves, vector headers, 2m fabrication 200 cel cats. And sport exhaust. Love the car but it is slow to respond from a light. And of course I believe more is better. And yes I do get a cel every once in awhile and would love never seeing that light again.
Old 08-30-2023, 08:39 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Received 384 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Picketthouse
Someone please convince me to pull the trigger and get a tune. I have a 991.2 c4s with bmc filter, flat 6 divertor valves, vector headers, 2m fabrication 200 cel cats. And sport exhaust. Love the car but it is slow to respond from a light. And of course I believe more is better. And yes I do get a cel every once in awhile and would love never seeing that light again.
Do it. I’ve got a C2S with GTS turbos + APR stage 3 93 octane tune. Haven’t looked back. I want even more power, so Tial T800s may be in my future, but only after I’ve upgraded the suspension. The CEL won’t go away in - in all probability it’s from the 200 cell cats. I’ve shied away from exhaust mods for exactly that reason. Tune vendors are not going to turn that off, because they will face massive fines from the govt for emissions violations.
Old 08-31-2023, 02:54 AM
911T4ME
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 106 Posts

Surprised 200 cell cats result in CELS. I've got Soul's version, no lights on my dash...
Old 08-31-2023, 09:41 AM
rensoyka
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Picketthouse
sounds like you want a supercharger.
Old 08-31-2023, 12:48 PM
solidwater
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Forgive if this is obvious, but is the PDK in a 991.2 the same as the Turbo?

I'm wondering what the extra 100hp/100tq from softronic would, if anything, cause to break or wear faster (other than obvious things like tires). My car is CPO for two more years but I still kinda want to just do it. No one seems to be reporting major engine or drive train issues...
The following users liked this post:
m3doc824 (02-12-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 02:34 AM
m3doc824
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 991.2 Turbo S Softronic tune

Originally Posted by pkancel
I appreciate your reaction to his response being a little salty. People like that forget they were new to their Porsche experience at one time too. I'm looking at various tunes, but was taken aback at Cobb's pricing so when I found the Softronic site obviously it caught my attention. While I'm familiar with Cobb's product and installed it on my BMW 8 years ago it was also about $500. Would love to hear from others using Softronic on their 991.2 Turbo S. If I understood correctly Softronic can delete the stop/start function? Also, are there any similar Porsche coding apps e.g. like Bimmercode?
Old 02-12-2024, 09:13 AM
enzotcat
Pro

Received 384 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by solidwater
Forgive if this is obvious, but is the PDK in a 991.2 the same as the Turbo?

I'm wondering what the extra 100hp/100tq from softronic would, if anything, cause to break or wear faster (other than obvious things like tires). My car is CPO for two more years but I still kinda want to just do it. No one seems to be reporting major engine or drive train issues...
Most people with a PDK and a tune wind up getting a TCU tune as well, which increases clamping pressure so that the clutch can handle the additional torque. I think what a lot of people may not realize is that, as with a manual transmission, your clutch plate life is going to be reduced. Just a fact of tuning. I've got a good 10k miles on my C2S with GTS turbos + tune, a lot of which are track miles, and no problem with my manual transmission as yet. There is evidence that these things are overbuilt as far as transmissions are concerned.
Old 02-12-2024, 09:22 AM
911T4ME
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by m3doc824
I appreciate your reaction to his response being a little salty. People like that forget they were new to their Porsche experience at one time too. I'm looking at various tunes, but was taken aback at Cobb's pricing so when I found the Softronic site obviously it caught my attention. While I'm familiar with Cobb's product and installed it on my BMW 8 years ago it was also about $500. Would love to hear from others using Softronic on their 991.2 Turbo S. If I understood correctly Softronic can delete the stop/start function? Also, are there any similar Porsche coding apps e.g. like Bimmercode?
Check the Thinkdiag thread in this forum. Lots of great coding possibilities.

Quick Reply: Softronic Tune- 991.2 review