Sponsored by:

Feedback on sport pasm

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2020, 05:21 PM
casaforte9
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Feedback on sport pasm

Friend looking at a car in another state that has sport pasm , would like to know how is the ride quality from owners having heard that it can be rough from a online review

sport pasm on 992 we drove was fine

Thank you

Last edited by casaforte9; 10-21-2020 at 05:23 PM.
Old 10-21-2020, 05:22 PM
Viper pilot
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 67 Posts

"SPORT PASM" ????? What is that?
Old 10-21-2020, 05:36 PM
SilverSFR
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 63 Posts

I can just slightly notice the difference. I would even say that tire pressure makes more of a difference. Having PASM Sport does lower the car an additional 10mm.
Old 10-21-2020, 05:41 PM
casaforte9
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

SilverSFR , thx and ya an additional 10mm drip could scrape
Old 10-21-2020, 06:25 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 322 Likes on 194 Posts

Have had and love Sport PASM since April 2012 on my C2S. It is - for me- quite reasonably compliant in normal mode. It leans almost not at all but enough to feel "sporty" on turns with its shorter stiffer springs and stiffer sway bars.

The ride is even not too bad in Sport or Sport plus - which activates the "harder" setting on the transmission/engine mounts. The ride and handling was much improved over the original Pirelli P0s with Michelin PS4s set at comfort settings.

The car sits lower than standard PASM. I had the extended front spoiler rub on curbs when parking too close. When new it even popped it off once backing out of a steep driveway- it pops back on easily BTW.

Last edited by chuckbdc; 10-21-2020 at 06:26 PM.
Old 10-21-2020, 06:35 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,320 Posts

If you have the tire pressures at max load, which apparently many dealers will do if you ever take your car in, then yes the ride is quite violent. When I picked up my car, used, it was pumped up to the max pressures. Atrocious ride quality.

At comfort pressures (I think 31/36 on my C4S?) on a pilot sport 4S's I find the SPASM setup to be quite soft with PDCC off, and just right with PDCC on.
Old 10-21-2020, 07:13 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 153 Posts

Regardless of any PASM suspension, the DSC Sport controller is a must as it’s not only programmable but right out of the box makes marked improvements to every conceivable road handling dynamic. Huge change to my GT4’s suspension. Not as much for my 991 but definitely worth it. I dislike crashy suspensions and it eliminated that, far more so than any pressure changes could hope to do.
The following users liked this post:
Viper pilot (10-21-2020)
Old 10-21-2020, 09:50 PM
TamiyaGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts

No problem, not harsh riding at all. It may be helpful to understand what he's driving now so there's a comparison that's relevant.

If he's coming from a Nissan GT-R, Sport PASM is going to feel like a Lexus sedan. If he's coming from a Lexus sedan, well....
Old 10-21-2020, 10:33 PM
SConn
Drifting

Received 976 Likes on 580 Posts

I have SPASM in my GTS. I wouldn't have it any other way. These aren't Cadillacs, and therefore, don't ride like them. The ride is very acceptable to me. I can feel bumps and undulations in the road. I am not uncomfortable. I drive in Sport at all times. When you buy a car like this, lowered to the lowest the factory offers, I feel that you just need accept a stiffer ride.
Overall, for what it is, I'd give it an 8/10.
​​​​
Old 10-21-2020, 10:49 PM
NF4710
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 122 Posts

On my 991.1 I found SPASM somewhat harsh. The wheel and tire package is what gives the 991 it’s hard ride IMO but it’s definitely worse w SPASM. The DSC sport has been a blessing for me. I love the SPASM look though.

Cheers
NF.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:53 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,142 Likes on 642 Posts

Maybe it's best to compare it to other sports cars. I've had my 911 for almost two weeks and can say that it does in fact ride a bit harsher than my 981 Boxster GTS with X73 (non-PASM sports suspension), which was a bit surprising. I also scrape my driveway more often in the 911 than I ever did in the Boxster. Road noise is actually about the same too, if not worse. I also have PS4S, and can confirm that some dealers will absolutely shoot the tire pressures up to unreasonable levels if you head in for service, or likely during test drives for cars on the lot.

That said, it's still better than the M4 I had with adaptive suspension, and FAR better than the 2015 STI I had before that. It isn't "crashy", but it does still consistently remind you that you're in a sports car. Personally, I wouldn't have that any other way... but if ride quality is important then something like an IS-F or RS6 should be considered. No kidding, those cars are great for what they are.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:37 AM
enzotcat
Pro

Received 386 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger
Maybe it's best to compare it to other sports cars. I've had my 911 for almost two weeks and can say that it does in fact ride a bit harsher than my 981 Boxster GTS with X73 (non-PASM sports suspension), which was a bit surprising. I also scrape my driveway more often in the 911 than I ever did in the Boxster. Road noise is actually about the same too, if not worse. I also have PS4S, and can confirm that some dealers will absolutely shoot the tire pressures up to unreasonable levels if you head in for service, or likely during test drives for cars on the lot.

That said, it's still better than the M4 I had with adaptive suspension, and FAR better than the 2015 STI I had before that. It isn't "crashy", but it does still consistently remind you that you're in a sports car. Personally, I wouldn't have that any other way... but if ride quality is important then something like an IS-F or RS6 should be considered. No kidding, those cars are great for what they are.
Hah, counterpoint: I had a 981 Cayman with X73 sport suspension, and have a 991.2 C2S with SPASM initially with PS4S, and now running PSC2. On both of them I feel that the ride is more compliant than on the Cayman - the Cayman felt like a go-kart. The C2S with SPASM feels much more compliant, and the general cabin noise is orders of magnitude less. I typically run 28/31 psi front/rear. I find that, as others have said, tire pressure makes all the difference; sadly because Porsche puts the full load tire pressure on the door wall, dealers wind up putting that in for liability reasons. Yes, scraping is an issue - even moderate changes of grade can cause scraping. That said, it's easy enough to work around this with some amount of care when driving.

So I guess the only thing you'll get out of this is that (a) YMMV, (b) perception between different people varies, and therefore (c) the results of your survey are equivocal at best
The following users liked this post:
manifold danger (10-22-2020)
Old 10-22-2020, 10:27 AM
BlueShell
Racer

Received 179 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by asellus
If you have the tire pressures at max load, which apparently many dealers will do if you ever take your car in, then yes the ride is quite violent. When I picked up my car, used, it was pumped up to the max pressures. Atrocious ride quality.

At comfort pressures (I think 31/36 on my C4S?) on a pilot sport 4S's I find the SPASM setup to be quite soft with PDCC off, and just right with PDCC on.
How do you ride with a lower pressure without the TPMS system giving you constant warnings about low tire pressure??

I also find the factory recommended tire pressure to be a bit "floaty" on the highway. With a lower tire pressure, the car feels might more planted and in control but the TPMS system keeps giving me a low tire pressure warning which is annoying.

Last edited by BlueShell; 10-22-2020 at 10:28 AM.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:57 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,142 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by enzotcat
Hah, counterpoint: I had a 981 Cayman with X73 sport suspension, and have a 991.2 C2S with SPASM initially with PS4S, and now running PSC2. On both of them I feel that the ride is more compliant than on the Cayman - the Cayman felt like a go-kart. The C2S with SPASM feels much more compliant, and the general cabin noise is orders of magnitude less. I typically run 28/31 psi front/rear. I find that, as others have said, tire pressure makes all the difference; sadly because Porsche puts the full load tire pressure on the door wall, dealers wind up putting that in for liability reasons. Yes, scraping is an issue - even moderate changes of grade can cause scraping. That said, it's easy enough to work around this with some amount of care when driving.

So I guess the only thing you'll get out of this is that (a) YMMV, (b) perception between different people varies, and therefore (c) the results of your survey are equivocal at best
Agree on that last statement, but I will concede that "harsh" isn't the right word. I'm not saying the X73 was better, and I won't disagree with the "go-kart" feel. The 911 is better, no doubt.

But if I had to choose which car I'd rather have coffee in, that's tough. Ultimately, neither is the correct answer.
Old 10-22-2020, 12:47 PM
tmarino
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 128 Posts

I would also like to hear about adjusting the tire pressures as I have tried everything I have been able to find and still get constant warnings once I fall below the recommended settings. I tried the lower pressures and it does make a difference in ride quality for sure but I am really getting tired of the warnings.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Quick Reply: Feedback on sport pasm