Sponsored by:

Value Advice on Supercharging

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2020, 03:33 PM
Phattymcgee
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Default Value Advice on Supercharging

Hey Guys, I know the value threads are all over the place. I haven't seen anything specific to superchargers on a 991.1. I read the thread on RR Racing and really like the product they have put out. I am trying to decide on going to a 991.1 Turbo S or add a supercharger to my GTS. My current car is a 2015 GTS, Cab, PDK. I fully expect to not get my money back on the super charger, but would you expect the car on the resale market to sell for similar to market rate of a stock GTS? I don't mind spending 15k or so on the supercharger but I would not want to tank the overall value of the car. I would like to hear your perspective on this as I am new to Porsche. My supercharged E90M sold for market value of a stock car, there was not a hit because it had been supercharged. Curious if Porsche works similarly?

If you have an agate grey, 991.1 Turbo S, Cab for sale let me know too!!!

Thanks guys!
Old 10-21-2020, 03:43 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Phattymcgee
Hey Guys, I know the value threads are all over the place. I haven't seen anything specific to superchargers on a 991.1. I read the thread on RR Racing and really like the product they have put out. I am trying to decide on going to a 991.1 Turbo S or add a supercharger to my GTS. My current car is a 2015 GTS, Cab, PDK. I fully expect to not get my money back on the super charger, but would you expect the car on the resale market to sell for similar to market rate of a stock GTS? I don't mind spending 15k or so on the supercharger but I would not want to tank the overall value of the car. I would like to hear your perspective on this as I am new to Porsche. My supercharged E90M sold for market value of a stock car, there was not a hit because it had been supercharged. Curious if Porsche works similarly?

If you have an agate grey, 991.1 Turbo S, Cab for sale let me know too!!!

Thanks guys!

There are a few things to consider, you will take the biggest hit on the fact that you have now limited the buyers of your car when time comes to sell the car. And also if the hit is so bad you need to also add in the costs of removing the unit and selling the car as 'stock' say to a dealer or carmax. So there may be an additional $2-3K to the $15K of the purchase price. IMHO, most people will buy a tastefully modded car, but boosting an NA motor might be the opposite in this case, in a .1 911 GTS. I think you might take a hit anywhere from 0-10% of the value of the car if it does get S/C'd. The reason the E90M didnt and you broke even with the blower on it is cause E90M's are sought out much much more vs E92's and command a 5-10K premium over a similar E92. That and you found someone in that small niche market that was looking for a S/C'd M3. Think about how long it took to sell your E90 and try to apply that to a S/C'd 911.
Old 10-21-2020, 03:52 PM
Wolpertinger
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 270 Posts

Funny, I'd have no issue adding a supercharger to my own car. But no way would I ever consider buying someone else's supercharged car. Just too many unknowns about what the car went through. If you add a supercharger kit, can it be removed later and reverted back to stock?
The following 2 users liked this post by Wolpertinger:
CSK 911 C4S (10-22-2020), Falcondrivr (10-22-2020)
Old 10-21-2020, 06:04 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,245 Likes on 730 Posts

I do think it will hurt the value of a .1 GTS, because IMO those cars sell really sell for a premium. Or as @Wolpertinger said, limiting your market.

S, probably not so much.

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 10-21-2020 at 06:05 PM.
Old 10-21-2020, 06:20 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 630 Posts

I'd expect the resale on a GTS with a supercharger to be near impossible.

Better long term - sell and get a 991.2 or TURBO. Second to that would be revert back to stock when the time comes to sell and expect to get little to nothing for the supercharger.
Old 10-21-2020, 07:23 PM
omaralt
Racer

Received 223 Likes on 89 Posts

I, and I think I speak for most here, would never consider buying a supercharged 991
The following users liked this post:
Falcondrivr (10-22-2020)
Old 10-21-2020, 08:00 PM
Phattymcgee
Rennlist Member

There is a 17 Turbo S here in town that I like outside of it not being a cab. I am going to have to be patient to find the right Turbo S. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:18 PM
artsd
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I will add my voice to the choir for what it's worth. Would never consider buying a supercharged 911 and if the supercharger was removed without disclosure and I found out about it, I would run away twice as fast. This reminds me of a Ferrari 360 I got pretty serious about back in 2018. I had a suspicion that the car I was looking at, which looked stock, was once supercharged and then converted back. Fortunately I found a youtube video of the supercharged version and caught a glimpse of the VIN in the video confirming my suspicion. When I told the owner I was no longer interested and the reason why, he played it off all innocently like he had no idea, but he most definitely knew. That short story was documented here: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/th...-normal.581162
Old 10-21-2020, 10:38 PM
97supratt
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 182 Posts

Don’t supercharge your GTS let’s trade cars and supercharge my S.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:44 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,350 Likes on 760 Posts

I mod my cars but don’t want to buy someone else’s modded car. I mod but I know how I drive it and what I use it for. Too many unknowns buying someone else’s project.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:05 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,028 Likes on 612 Posts

just get the Turbo...You then can get a software tune and REALLY wake up that car, and have it completely reversible in your parking spot.

The money you get from your GTS and the cost of what the supercharger would cost plus labor etc. You are essentially in the realm of 991.1 turbo and turbo S prices.

But for me, I have a manual 991.1 S with 80k miles. The supercharger could make sense for me, as my car has a ton of miles which kinda kills its resale and I have a manual which could make for an interesting car.

Last edited by Joec500; 10-21-2020 at 11:07 PM.
Old 10-22-2020, 07:50 AM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts

In 2006 I bought a brand new 997S, and less than 24 hours later the car was being taken apart. It would be 1 1/2 years until it was completed with only about 25% of its original parts Sticker price on car 102K, mods 387K (that includes blowing up a couple of transmissions), and the value of the car to anyone but me 0. To some people I was crazy, to others I was just doing what I always do to an extreme. Out of all the cars I've owned (485) an all the cars I've built (at least 200), it is my favorite and just went into my storage garage (it now has around 18K miles) until April 1st of next year. I do not care what a car is worth to anyone else but me (nor am I the got to have the newest thing type, I would rather have the best than the newest), but for those of you who do, I'd advise you to think hard before doing something like a SC (which my 997S also happens to have). The local Porsche dealers do not even consider my car a Porsche, they call it a kit car since so much has been altered from original and many of the parts I designed. They also would not service it (not that I usually use dealers for that), mostly because they did not know what the heck it was. My advise is unless you plan on being buried in the car, stay with simple modifications (like exhaust, wheels, handheld tuners or piggybacks), that are easily reversible, and hold on to stock items, you might need them if you plan to resell your car.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:31 AM
Phattymcgee
Rennlist Member

https://www.hendrickporsche.com/inve...ad2a90hs167105

This is the car they have that I am considering. It is not Agate Grey or Cab. I don't want to be the guy that waits 2 years to find the exact car he is looking for. I want to drive and enjoy it everyday for the next 2 years. This seems to be reasonably priced for a .2T S.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:37 AM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,351 Likes on 1,524 Posts

Money-wise, you would be far better ahead to sell your GTS and move to a factory Turbo. I know myself, I would not buy a car with a supercharger add-on, because I don't know the work done and its very possible to have a a tuner set a high boost that will eventually grenade the engine over time. If you decide to modify your current car, I would suggest you plan on keeping it for several years.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:16 AM
rugu6869
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 301 Posts

It seems that you're in a completely different situation that most that are considering a supercharger.

Most that are considering a supercharger have their cars for a while and absolutely love them and would like to keep them long-term. They'd just like to take the next step in power and spending $15K on the supercharger will get them to exactly where they want to be.

You, on the other hand, have the option of going to a factory turbo car, that will more than likely out-perform the aftermarket supercharged car. It doesn't seem that you're married to your current car if this is the option on the table.

With this in mind, I would recommend you go for the turbo and sell your current car. If you were saying different things regarding wanting to keep your car and enjoy it, it would be a different answer.
Remember, the SC is completely reversible, so you could remove it and sell it separately if you were to go that direction - just pointing this out for those considering the SC route.

Also, I did a quick search for Agate Grey TT's:
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...paign=atempest
MSRP of $196K!
https://vinanalytics.com/car/WP0AD2A95HS166712/

Last edited by rugu6869; 10-22-2020 at 11:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Value Advice on Supercharging