Sponsored by:

CPO warranty transfer auto consignment

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2020, 02:00 AM
inkare
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CPO warranty transfer auto consignment

I'm in the process of buying my first 911 and I've really liked a 2017. The car was purchased by original owner on 09/29/2016 and was bought CPO by second owner on 10/14/2019. This car is being sold under consignment from a non-Porsche dealer. I understand that CPO is only transferable if the car is bought from an authorized Porsche dealer or private party. The salesman is telling me that I have nothing to worry about because it's on consignment and he's sold 20 cars like this without an issue. But he is a used car salesman. Will the CPO be transferable if buy this car? The Carfax currently doesn't reflect the consignment dealer.

Additionally, I've also liked another car that being sold by a private party on Tred.com that is on CPO warranty. Will the CPO warranty be void if I buy this car? Is Tred.com considered a broker?

I would appreciate help or advice. Thank you.
Old 10-21-2020, 06:36 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 254 Posts

Call 1-800-PORSCHE to confirm. Goodluck.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:18 AM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 930 Likes on 489 Posts

FWIW, I bought mine from a broker and PCNA honored the CPO.
The following users liked this post:
rhughstephens (10-18-2023)
Old 10-21-2020, 09:34 AM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

I never understood how PCNA were able to track who sold the car.

If you call them, I certainly wouldn't tell them the story of how you acquired it.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:40 AM
Furrry
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

In a somewhat similar situation, can't figure out how in the world they are tracking vehicle transfers unless they are analysing state registration records when your bring the car in?

I would go in for service with actual plates (not dealer plates) and some sort of record or document showing the previous owners name (not the dealer) and hope for the best.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:29 AM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 718 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by inkare

Will the CPO be transferable if buy this car?
Not according to Porsche NA.

But I’d check with them for the latest. This is what I got from the PCNA Customer Service rep in Atlanta last year:

“The CPO warranty will only transfer with a vehicle if it is sold from person to person, or if the vehicle is purchased from an authorized Porsche dealership. If a vehicle has been sold to or purchased from an unauthorized dealership or broker, the CPO warranty is void. For further details, please feel free to visit our website: https://www.porsche.com/usa/approved...ures/warranty/
Old 10-21-2020, 10:29 AM
artsd
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is the title in the name of the broker or the owner? I would assume the owner in which case the purchase as far as the title is concerned is from one private owner to another.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:31 AM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Additionally, I've also liked another car that being sold by a private party on Tred.com that is on CPO warranty. Will the CPO warranty be void if I buy this car?
No. A person to person sale will allow a CPO to transfer, according to PCNA.

See my post above.
Old 10-21-2020, 12:57 PM
inkare
6th Gear

Originally Posted by 991.1 Guy
FWIW, I bought mine from a broker and PCNA honored the CPO.
Originally Posted by Furrry
In a somewhat similar situation, can't figure out how in the world they are tracking vehicle transfers unless they are analysing state registration records when your bring the car in?

I would go in for service with actual plates (not dealer plates) and some sort of record or document showing the previous owners name (not the dealer) and hope for the best.

Originally Posted by jstdenis
My CPO experience. Bought a CPO 2014 911 in June 2018 from a non-Porsche dealer. The auto was sold on consignment and the title so reflected. I had CPO service in May 2019 and August 2019 at a Porsche dealership without incident. Is it possible you purchased a consignment automobile? Another possibility is the BMW dealership never took title of the auto you purchased. There is no way Porsche USA knows the status of ownership except via title transfer. If there was no title transfer prior to the title transfer to your name then the CPO is valid.

This seems to be the case, that PCNA can't track if it was bought from a broker. Another user also reports this from another thread posted above. Given this would I be taking a low or high risk of having the CPO warranty voided?
Old 10-21-2020, 01:09 PM
inkare
6th Gear

Originally Posted by artsd
Is the title in the name of the broker or the owner? I would assume the owner in which case the purchase as far as the title is concerned is from one private owner to another.
The dealership is telling me the title is in the name of the owner and will be directly transferred to me. They just handle all the transfer paperwork.
Old 10-21-2020, 01:27 PM
Furrry
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Titles for some states allow the dealer to reassign to you without needing a new title in the dealers name so that might be the case.

I guess we will both test this soon but I dont expect any issues, the title in the previous owners name is nice to have as backup though
Old 10-21-2020, 01:34 PM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 567 Posts

I was not aware person to person transfer was acceptable, so if the title has the CPO owners name then there shouldn't be a issue
The following 2 users liked this post by B Russ:
GT3FZS (10-23-2020), Rich_Jenkins (10-21-2020)
Old 10-21-2020, 01:57 PM
jimmiejam
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

It's a consignment car. The dealer is representing/selling for the OWNER, taking a fee/cut for the sale. You should have no issues as you are buying from the owner.
The following 3 users liked this post by jimmiejam:
GT3FZS (10-23-2020), Jim991 (10-22-2020), Rich_Jenkins (10-21-2020)
Old 10-21-2020, 02:25 PM
inkare
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Furrry
Titles for some states allow the dealer to reassign to you without needing a new title in the dealers name so that might be the case.

I guess we will both test this soon but I dont expect any issues, the title in the previous owners name is nice to have as backup though
Originally Posted by B Russ
I was not aware person to person transfer was acceptable, so if the title has the CPO owners name then there shouldn't be a issue
I've only leased cars up to this point so I don't have experience with title transfer. So does the dealer give me the title of the car in the name of the previous owner? Am I responsible for having to change the title under my name?

Essentially how would I get the title under CPO owners name?
Old 10-21-2020, 02:50 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

I've only leased cars up to this point so I don't have experience with title transfer. So does the dealer give me the title of the car in the name of the previous owner? Am I responsible for having to change the title under my name?

Essentially how would I get the title under CPO owners name?
Not sure what state you are in, but in Florida, you don't "get" a title from the previous owner, you get it at the DMV. When you buy a car, you complete the transaction financially, get a bill of sale, then the seller signs the title in the "seller" block on their physical title including mileage. You take that endorsed title, your bill of sale and your check book (for the taxes ) to the DMV who reviews the paperwork, executes the title transfer, then either physically prints you a title on the spot and/or files the title for you electronically.

Quick Reply: CPO warranty transfer auto consignment