Sponsored by:

PDK Calibration

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2020, 12:56 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,141 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzalo38
There are several posts that talk about PDK reset and user that have done, have given positive feedback.

https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera...procedure.html

Obviously very skeptical of this as the procedures seems like nothing but nonsense, but I figured it would only take 7 minutes of my time, so I tried it. To my surprise, this seems to work. I had been noticing lately a hesitation/stumble/chocking when accelerating quickly from a stop light. Was not happening all the time, but as time went on seemed to happen more frequently. After doing the procedure, it doesn't seem to happen any more - car just takes off. No more hiccups. Acceleration seems a lot smoother, and more effortless, including the shifting. Exhaust sounds a lot better too - sounds throatier. Placebo effect? I don't know. Like I said, was very skeptical but I am glad I for tried it. Seemed to work for me. Here are the procedures from the other post. Thanks Gonzalo38 for posting the thread.

Old 10-10-2020, 03:38 PM
F355bob
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 145 Posts

Just did it on my base 2017 Carrera which was jerky off idle from 1st to 2nd. That is gone and shifts as smooth as my Macan S. Impressed that this worked. Thanks
Old 10-10-2020, 04:12 PM
dannyss
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 78 Posts

I think I might try it tomorrow just for the fun of it.
Old 10-10-2020, 04:30 PM
xiaofashi
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting! will give this a try!
Old 10-10-2020, 06:23 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,953 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Originally Posted by asellus
Worth mentioning here, I feel

I confirmed with Autel that the MaxiSys Ultra and the 908 and up (909, 916, etc) are capable of initiating the PDK calibration. The 906, allegedly, cannot. I'll be testing that this weekend though.
My buddy's MS906BT with Porsche v9.61 (should be circa 2018 when his licensing expired) was able to talk to the PDK and initiated the 20 minute calibration procedure.

You go to Diagnosis -> either auto or manual module scan -> transmission module -> special function.

Now that I know what to actually look for, paging through Autel's site indicates they can do this function on a 991 through any Maxisys, Maxipro, and even the MaxiDAS DS808 (the "cheaper" one).

Search for the subprocess "Calibration (overall procedure)" on this site: https://www.autel.com/vehicle-coverage/coverage2

For my buddy's MS906BT, it gives you the preparatory information (car on, operating temperature, parking brake, etc.) and allows you to start the procedure. It took 10-15 minutes if memory serves, and I had my foot on the brake the whole time as instructed. Lots of clunking, some revving, and it had multiple stages to go through so don't get excited when you're at 20% done already on the first stage.

However, upon completion it said it failed, then on the next screen said "OK" under the calibration header. Not sure why, maybe I wasn't on the brake hard enough or maybe the intake temperatures were too low or something, but I didn't retry at the time as I had to be on the other side of town. The screen before you start the procedure says it can fail if there are any fault codes present and whatnot, so who knows..

Went out for a quick test drive on the empty stretch of road and the transmission felt just as fine as it was before, so called it good and drove home. My issue is only when cold, so no biggie driving home. I did notice, however, that upshifts are comparatively slow. Commanding a shift takes at least a quarter second before it even starts the shift, which is then quick and smooth. Very similar to how slow it is during a cold start.

I suspect it's in some kind of 'safe' or default mode and needs to either relearn or be recalibrated. My buddy will be in town perhaps next weekend and I'll attempt the calibration again if I can't find someone with a device closer to me.
Old 10-11-2020, 09:15 AM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,953 Likes on 1,209 Posts

My buddy's MS906BT with Porsche v9.61 (should be circa 2018 when his licensing expired) was able to talk to the PDK and initiated the 20 minute calibration procedure.

You go to Diagnosis -> either auto or manual module scan -> transmission module -> special function.

Now that I know what to actually look for, paging through Autel's site indicates they can do this function on a 991 through any Maxisys, Maxipro, and even the MaxiDAS DS808 (the "cheaper" one).

Search for the subprocess "Calibration (overall procedure)" on this site: https://www.autel.com/vehicle-coverage/coverage2

For my buddy's MS906BT, it gives you the preparatory information (car on, operating temperature, parking brake, etc.) and allows you to start the procedure. It took 10-15 minutes if memory serves, and I had my foot on the brake the whole time as instructed. Lots of clunking, some revving, and it had multiple stages to go through so don't get excited when you're at 20% done already on the first stage.

However, upon completion it said it failed, then on the next screen said "OK" under the calibration header. Not sure why, maybe I wasn't on the brake hard enough or maybe the intake temperatures were too low or something, but I didn't retry at the time as I had to be on the other side of town. The screen before you start the procedure says it can fail if there are any fault codes present and whatnot, so who knows..

Went out for a quick test drive on the empty stretch of road and the transmission felt just as fine as it was before, so called it good and drove home. My issue is only when cold, so no biggie driving home. I did notice, however, that upshifts are comparatively slow. Commanding a shift takes at least a quarter second before it even starts the shift, which is then quick and smooth. Very similar to how slow it is during a cold start.

I suspect it's in some kind of 'safe' or default mode and needs to either relearn or be recalibrated. My buddy will be in town perhaps next weekend and I'll attempt the calibration again if I can't find someone with a device closer to me.
aaaaand last night, like the flip of a switch, the shift delay went away. Some 2 hours of driving after the calibration.

Weird.
Old 07-15-2022, 02:03 PM
RP4S911
Pro

Received 568 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Obviously very skeptical of this as the procedures seems like nothing but nonsense, but I figured it would only take 7 minutes of my time, so I tried it. To my surprise, this seems to work. I had been noticing lately a hesitation/stumble/chocking when accelerating quickly from a stop light. Was not happening all the time, but as time went on seemed to happen more frequently. After doing the procedure, it doesn't seem to happen any more - car just takes off. No more hiccups. Acceleration seems a lot smoother, and more effortless, including the shifting. Exhaust sounds a lot better too - sounds throatier. Placebo effect? I don't know. Like I said, was very skeptical but I am glad I for tried it. Seemed to work for me. Here are the procedures from the other post. Thanks Gonzalo38 for posting the thread.

@Porsche_nuts Did you start this from a cold start, or when the car was already at temp?
Old 07-15-2022, 02:41 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,141 Likes on 684 Posts

Colds start.
Old 04-24-2023, 10:48 AM
Santirx
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 91 Posts

This is my experience, but for a Macan…

PDK Clutch Calibration - 2015 Porsche Macan S
Old 04-24-2023, 11:09 AM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 357 Likes on 220 Posts

PDK learns from your driving habits... it is simply resetting the learning calibration?
Old 04-26-2023, 02:25 AM
MichaelKlein
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal C2S
Mine is no longer clunky when cold....just nice crisp shifting. There is a bit of a slight delay when cold however, but just slight. Best $400 ($800 with the new aluminum pan) I’ve spent....I would even call it a mod!
which shop are you using to do this? Im in socal too.
Old 04-26-2023, 01:34 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,471 Likes on 630 Posts

aaaaand last night, like the flip of a switch, the shift delay went away. Some 2 hours of driving after the calibration.

Weird.
That's from adaptation which is a separate function from calibration. Calibration is hardware-oriented and corrects for tolerances within the PDK components to ensure proper operation (e.g. shift fork travel, clutch engagement). Adaptation (aka "touchpoint adaptation") is driver-oriented and is a crude form of AI that learns from the operator's driving habits and adjusts responsiveness accordingly.

The process shown in comment #22 is known as "torque adaptation" and it's not real clear exactly what it does. We think it characterizes and corrects for the added load of the AC compressor being on or off and is different from driver/touchpoint adaptation.

See the document attached to this comment which mentions all three in sections 3.6 through 3.14
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
PDK factory t-shoot document.pdf (569.7 KB, 125 views)

Quick Reply: PDK Calibration