PDK Calibration

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2020, 06:43 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts
Default PDK Calibration

So I had the PDK service at my Indy last week....wow, what a difference! Shifts
are clean and crisp again just like it used to be. I guess I didn’t notice until we bought the Macan S two years ago and noticed the shifting difference. That always stuck in the back of my mind, so the time was right as I needed brakes as well. I also upgraded to an aluminum finned pan which was the same price as the plastic OEM from Porsche....granted, didn’t need to replace the pan, just the filter inside, but it was one of those “while you’re there” moments. Just like replacing the brake lines, pad clips, caliper bolts, etc. Just have to bed those pads...the rears squeal a bit, however, it’s just been 30 miles. Already did the “dozen” or so 50% braking from ~70mph (Sebro slots/Ferodo DS2500 pads). Just time....
Old 10-06-2020, 06:49 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,203 Posts

How many miles were on it before the service?

"Calibration" is a bit misleading as a thread title FWIW..
Old 10-06-2020, 08:27 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,134 Likes on 679 Posts

What is involved in the PDK service?
Old 10-06-2020, 11:22 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 717 Likes on 502 Posts

What are symptoms of PDK trans behavior that point to PDK calibration needing to be performed?
Old 10-06-2020, 11:25 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 450 Likes on 307 Posts

Never heard of this.
How old is your 911 and how many miles on it?
Old 10-07-2020, 02:32 AM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Just turned 47k miles. The PDK Service was a complete fluid change, new pan/filter (in my case), and PDK calibration. I called the thread PDK calibration as my Indy advised that just doing the fluid change won’t really be “noticeable”, but with the calibration I would feel it. He was right...calibration costs an additional $60, takes about 20 minutes. They hook up the PIWIS and do a series of key turns, press on the brake pedal, etc...the PDK makes a series of grunts and groans. Now it shifts like when it was new. Symptoms were that the shifts in Sport mode where I do most of my driving seemed a bit slow and downshifts with the rev match seemed a bit jerky. It’s like the frog and the slow boiling water, I just didn’t notice it. It was when we bought the Macan where I really noticed how crisp it was compared to the 911.

Last edited by SoCal C2S; 10-07-2020 at 02:37 AM.
Old 10-07-2020, 01:05 PM
gearFX
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Doesn't the Cobb handheld tuner do the PDK calibration too? Or is that only those with the optional PDK software (vs. just ECU software) loaded?
Old 10-07-2020, 03:36 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SoCal C2S
Just turned 47k miles. The PDK Service was a complete fluid change, new pan/filter (in my case), and PDK calibration. I called the thread PDK calibration as my Indy advised that just doing the fluid change won’t really be “noticeable”, but with the calibration I would feel it. He was right...calibration costs an additional $60, takes about 20 minutes. They hook up the PIWIS and do a series of key turns, press on the brake pedal, etc...the PDK makes a series of grunts and groans. Now it shifts like when it was new. Symptoms were that the shifts in Sport mode where I do most of my driving seemed a bit slow and downshifts with the rev match seemed a bit jerky. It’s like the frog and the slow boiling water, I just didn’t notice it. It was when we bought the Macan where I really noticed how crisp it was compared to the 911.
Aha, I see. Wasn't aware that calibration procedure even existed, my bad.

Wonder if my new PDK didn't get calibrated and that's why it's so clunky when it's cold...
Old 10-07-2020, 09:35 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Mine is no longer clunky when cold....just nice crisp shifting. There is a bit of a slight delay when cold however, but just slight. Best $400 ($800 with the new aluminum pan) I’ve spent....I would even call it a mod!
Old 10-07-2020, 10:32 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Mine is no longer clunky when cold....just nice crisp shifting. There is a bit of a slight delay when cold however, but just slight. Best $400 ($800 with the new aluminum pan) I’ve spent....I would even call it a mod!
Gaaah don't say that. Called my dealer today about ensuring the learn/calibration process was completed on my car and they said they could redo it, but I'd have to pay if there weren't any fault codes present.
Old 10-08-2020, 08:57 AM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by asellus
Gaaah don't say that. Called my dealer today about ensuring the learn/calibration process was completed on my car and they said they could redo it, but I'd have to pay if there weren't any fault codes present.
There is a difference between “learn” and “calibration”. I think the way as to do the reset is a series of starting the engine for an amount of time with certain function switched off and then again with them on and at some time pressing the gas petal. (Updated this sentence to remove the battery cable removal as it does nothing). The next post has a link to another thread with the details.

The car learns your driving style and adapts the best it can to those parameter. “Calibration” is where the clutch plates are put through a process that realigns the plates and takes into account the wear that’s present and matches the alignment for the crisp shifting....of course there is always a limit to how much wear and alignment can be zeroed out.

If others who are more knowledgeable on this subject can chime in....don’t want to lead someone down the wrong path.

Last edited by SoCal C2S; 10-08-2020 at 09:37 AM.
Old 10-08-2020, 09:06 AM
Gonzalo38
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

There are several posts that talk about PDK reset and user that have done, have given positive feedback.

https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera...procedure.html
The following 2 users liked this post by Gonzalo38:
Carlo_Carrera (10-08-2020), SoCal C2S (10-08-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 12:16 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

There is a difference between “learn” and “calibration”. I think the way as to do the reset is a series of starting the engine for an amount of time with certain function switched off and then again with them on and at some time pressing the gas petal. (Updated this sentence to remove the battery cable removal as it does nothing). The next post has a link to another thread with the details.

The car learns your driving style and adapts the best it can to those parameter. “Calibration” is where the clutch plates are put through a process that realigns the plates and takes into account the wear that’s present and matches the alignment for the crisp shifting....of course there is always a limit to how much wear and alignment can be zeroed out.

If others who are more knowledgeable on this subject can chime in....don’t want to lead someone down the wrong path.
Yes, I'm aware. The vehicle's shifting habits have not changed since the PDK change ~4k miles ago (edit: I also drive almost exclusively in manual mode, so there's that), and I'm unaware of the status of the clutch calibrations.

Originally Posted by Gonzalo38
There are several posts that talk about PDK reset and user that have done, have given positive feedback.

https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera...procedure.html
There's nothing about this in the FSM that I can find for the 991.1 or 991.2, and the Panamera is a very different animal when it comes to the PDK. I even brought this up with my service manager at the dealership, and after checking he was unable to find anything for the 991 along these lines -- but they also told me that bucking/stuttering while cold is normal, so who knows.

Regardless, I have tried this on my 991.2 and was unable to note even the slightest of change.

If Autel doesn't get back to me by the weekend with confirmation of features, I'll be making a drive down to a buddy with a Autel MS906BT to see what functions it can run through. :\
Old 10-09-2020, 12:08 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Worth mentioning here, I feel

I confirmed with Autel that the MaxiSys Ultra and the 908 and up (909, 916, etc) are capable of initiating the PDK calibration. The 906, allegedly, cannot. I'll be testing that this weekend though.
Old 10-09-2020, 08:01 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 717 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by asellus
Worth mentioning here, I feel

I confirmed with Autel that the MaxiSys Ultra and the 908 and up (909, 916, etc) are capable of initiating the PDK calibration. The 906, allegedly, cannot. I'll be testing that this weekend though.
Great to know. Keep us posted.

Quick Reply: PDK Calibration