Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it possible to change the speed at which the rear spoiler deploys?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2020, 11:14 PM
dudeoverthere
Burning Brakes

Received 689 Likes on 324 Posts

You're driving the wrong car if you are concerned about "waste".

Originally Posted by Fr3nch
Jesus guys. I was looking for help on changing the spoiler setting, not to get roasted for not wanting it up.

To answer some of your questions:

Yes, its unnecessary for cruising down the freeway at 80mph. Or 90mph. Or probably even 100. It would help with cornering at those speeds, but the car isnt going to get unstable going that slow without the spoiler.

Im sure the Porsche engineers spent a lot of time getting the spoiler just right for performance. I doubt they cared about freeway cruise.

Yes, I care about gas milage. Waste is waste. I got bored on my roadtrip and tested milage with the spoiler up vs down at 74mph. Got a 1.5 MPG difference according to the PCM. Which makes sense because all spoilers do is generate downforce from aerodynamic drag. That number is going to get bigger as speeds get higher. Its cool getting 29 MPG in my C4S at 90. It would be cooler to get 31. I like making fum of my friends for paying less for insurance on my 911 than they do on their subaru outbacks. It would be great to make fun of them for economy since they are both awd too.

Yes, it will increase rear tire wear. Probably not by a lot. But if theres 100lbs of downforce, thats going to be about 5% more weight on the rears and thats not a negligible amount of rear tire wear. Again, waste is waste.

I can see the top 2" or so in my rear view when its up.

No, this isnt that big of a deal. If it was a simple "hey dealer can you set the spoiler speed to 95?" or a simple "sure, just get a durametric" then it would be worth it. I dont care that much.

Quick Reply: Is it possible to change the speed at which the rear spoiler deploys?