Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ferrari Roma vs Porsche 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2020, 02:36 PM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

I enjoyed the original post and write up. For what I have seen in pictures, the Roma is a beautiful car for my taste, but haven't seen it in person yet. Even the Portofino, that replaced the Cali, is tastefully done, perhaps not
much of a performance car, but pleasant to the eyes.

These Frrraris seem to be more tourers than canyon carvers or track weapons. But there is pleasure in working all week and go on a weekend for a slow stroll in a Ferrari to have coffee or take the wife for dinner. Nice leather and good noise, beautiful paint under the sun, together with a nice cup of coffee or a nice dinner - nothing wrong with that. Luxury for those who want it, and most people that I know own F's have never even took their cars to the canyons here in SoCal, needles to say to the track. Ferrari seems to fill the niche of Weekend driving quite well. Nothing wrong with that. Glad there are many choices around.
The following users liked this post:
RobC4sX51 (10-21-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 03:34 PM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

Received 549 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by br911
I enjoyed the original post and write up. For what I have seen in pictures, the Roma is a beautiful car for my taste, but haven't seen it in person yet. Even the Portofino, that replaced the Cali, is tastefully done, perhaps not
much of a performance car, but pleasant to the eyes.

These Frrraris seem to be more tourers than canyon carvers or track weapons. But there is pleasure in working all week and go on a weekend for a slow stroll in a Ferrari to have coffee or take the wife for dinner. Nice leather and good noise, beautiful paint under the sun, together with a nice cup of coffee or a nice dinner - nothing wrong with that. Luxury for those who want it, and most people that I know own F's have never even took their cars to the canyons here in SoCal, needles to say to the track. Ferrari seems to fill the niche of Weekend driving quite well. Nothing wrong with that. Glad there are many choices around.
Very wise post sir, 100% agree.
Old 10-05-2020, 04:18 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

The other moderators and I saw that this thread was reported and took a pass on it; the OP has a 991 as a point of reference for this Ferrari and is discussing this with other 991 owners. Further, the OP is not selling anything.

FYI, mods often leave off topic threads alone even though they're in a tech forum because we understand that many of you have unique relationships with each other and prefer to discuss topics with people you know. If a forum starts getting overrun with OT threads or if one user is dominating a forum with too many OT threads, we always reserve the right to move threads.
The following 3 users liked this post by Mark in Baltimore:
Boulder Mike (10-05-2020), George from MD (10-05-2020), SConn (10-05-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 04:21 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,306 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Um, relax. I was actually agreeing with you.
Sorry, I’m actually very calm. Don’t get excited about forum posts too many other things to think about.
Old 10-05-2020, 04:22 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by One N Done
I think you and ipse dixit are on the same page.
This was a nice comparo from a 991 owner and I appreciated the insight on the car in this forum. Heck, the GT3 section has a multi year thread going in Mclaren and Merc GTR. Before someone says that doesnt make it right, well since they have been there so long I guess it doesnt make it wrong either.
yes, I do know we are on the same page. To used to getting flamed here for no reason.
Old 10-05-2020, 05:25 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,132 Likes on 677 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
The other moderators and I saw that this thread was reported and took a pass on it; the OP has a 991 as a point of reference for this Ferrari and is discussing this with other 991 owners. Further, the OP is not selling anything.

FYI, mods often leave off topic threads alone even though they're in a tech forum because we understand that many of you have unique relationships with each other and prefer to discuss topics with people you know. If a forum starts getting overrun with OT threads or if one user is dominating a forum with too many OT threads, we always reserve the right to move threads.

Someone actually reported this thread? Geeze, I mean really. This is a new low in silliness. Whoever reported it, get a life.
The following 3 users liked this post by Porsche_nuts:
drcollie (10-20-2020), George from MD (10-05-2020), lrebelo (10-17-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 09:00 PM
SConn
Rennlist Member

Received 975 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Someone actually reported this thread? Geeze, I mean really. This is a new low in silliness. Whoever reported it, get a life.
I agree! Seems to be happening more and more. Good grief people, don't take things so personally.

I also enjoyed the write up! Gave me a chance to live vicariously...
The following 3 users liked this post by SConn:
George from MD (10-05-2020), lrebelo (10-17-2020), RobC4sX51 (10-21-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 10:16 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

I loved reading the comparison. I can't yet, psychologically, cross the $200k barrier with buying a car but if it should happen, it will most definitely be a feisty Italian.
George from MD (10-05-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 10:57 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Not surprising here now. Lots of guys get their panties in a bunch over nothing on RL. Still a great place for info just got to work harder to get it.
Old 10-20-2020, 03:17 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Took my test drive in the Roma today. All I can say is WOW. Everything drcollie had mentioned and then some. Very driveable, very comfortable. Takes bumps and potholes like a champ. Sound is incredible, speed is stupid fast. Love the looks!
Old 10-20-2020, 03:31 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,900 Likes on 1,366 Posts

Took my test drive in the Roma today. All I can say is WOW. Everything drcollie had mentioned and then some. Very driveable, very comfortable. Takes bumps and potholes like a champ. Sound is incredible, speed is stupid fast. Love the looks!
Careful! You might get reported!

I know - isn't that car magnificent? I've had BMW's / Porsches / Aston Martin's and nothing drives like that Roma. It's so composed over road irregularities that rattle all other sports cars, Porsche included. And stupid fast is a good description. Home Run for Ferrari on it.

My wife said "Go order one if that's what you want". I'm having trouble with the price point though, especially our annual 4.7% Virginia Luxury Tax on cars. That's around $ 10,000 every year for the "privilege" to own one that goes to the County. Ugh.
Old 10-20-2020, 04:14 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by drcollie
Careful! You might get reported!

I know - isn't that car magnificent? I've had BMW's / Porsches / Aston Martin's and nothing drives like that Roma. It's so composed over road irregularities that rattle all other sports cars, Porsche included. And stupid fast is a good description. Home Run for Ferrari on it.

My wife said "Go order one if that's what you want". I'm having trouble with the price point though, especially our annual 4.7% Virginia Luxury Tax on cars. That's around $ 10,000 every year for the "privilege" to own one that goes to the County. Ugh.
Wow. $10K every year is outrageous. Would love to order one, but unlike your wife, mine says, "Are you crazy?!"
Old 10-20-2020, 04:35 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,376 Likes on 2,317 Posts

But one cannot shift for themself...too bad, count me out. I am running out of options for a replacement unless I want something older!
Old 10-20-2020, 04:43 PM
carrera4esq
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

I also got the chance to drive the Roma this past weekend and basically 100% agree with the OP's review, especially the understatement "my 991 seems suddenly very dated and very analog, even a bit crude in comparison."

Old 10-20-2020, 05:51 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by carrera4esq
I also got the chance to drive the Roma this past weekend and basically 100% agree with the OP's review, especially the understatement "my 991 seems suddenly very dated and very analog, even a bit crude in comparison."

@carrera4esq I drove the exact same car! In race mode the entire time!

Last edited by Porsche_nuts; 10-20-2020 at 08:29 PM.
carrera4esq (10-20-2020)

Quick Reply: Ferrari Roma vs Porsche 991.1