Sponsored by:

Ferrari Roma vs Porsche 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2020, 02:54 AM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
The suspension tuning on Ferrari's is years ahead of Porsche. Be it in their GT cars (812, F12, Portofino, California, Roma) or in their sports cars (458, 488, F8), or even in their track derived versions (Speciale, or Pista). Makes the 911 feel like its shocks are broken.

The leather is also sublime. Even after 14 months of owning my 488, every time I got into the car the aroma of real leather was inescapable and intoxicating. It was also soft and supple to the touch. Porsche could really learn a lesson here.

Up until the Portofino, and really the Roma, the interior UI for Ferrari was laughable. While the PCM in the 991, or even in the 992, was really nothing to write home about, it makes the Ferrari UI seem like something stolen from the Atari era of Pac Man and Breakout. The UI in the Roma is certainly an improvement, but it isn't necessarily cutting-edge, just sort of up-to-date.

For those who haven't driven a modern Ferrari (everything after the 458 and F12) are really nothing like your father's Ferrari. For better or worse.
I guess I’ve never driven a modern Ferrari by that definition. I’m curious about the steering in the modern ones. I have an F12 and love everything about it except the steering - too light, too quick.

I didn’t like the suspension initially, but I’ve come to appreciate how dynamic it really is. It’s firm and controlled even in “bumpy road” mode. I agree it sets a bar for Porsche (and my 911s have had PDCC - I haven’t experienced the DSC controller). It always amazes me that a front-engined car doesn’t carry all the weight up front - it’s actually > 50% biased to the rear.

The Atari UI really is terrible, as you said, and it doesn’t matter that much - when driving nearly everything important is at your fingertips, there aren’t even any stalks for turn signals or wipers. I don’t even need a tach with those LED shift indicators on the steering wheel I do wish I could see oil/coolant temps at the same time as tire pressures/temps - Porsche can’t do that either, only my Audi lets me do that - but I’ll still take Atari over ANY modern touchscreen UI.
Old 09-30-2020, 03:01 AM
krinsky1965
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I love the sound of a Ferrari engine, when I was a kid our neighbor drove a Dino and I can still remember listening to that car start, roll down the driveway and take off down the road. I swore that I would own one when I grew up but I changed my mind in 1989 when my Dad drove home a 928 S4. From that day until his death I watched him go through Porsche after Porsche and the desire of owning a Ferrari disappeared just like their classic lines. In my opinion the Ferrari exterior went bad a long time ago and this Roma is aesthetically amongst my least favorites. I recently bought my first Porsche and did so because of the classic design, it just feels so genuine, like Porsche hasn’t lost it soul like most of the Italian counterparts.I haven’t second guessed my decision since bringing my 991.1 GTS home. I still love looking at Ferrari’s but lost the desire to own one.

P.S. What the heck is with the giant paddles? Am I seeing something that others don’t or am I behind the times?

Last edited by krinsky1965; 09-30-2020 at 03:06 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Noah Fect (09-30-2020)
Old 09-30-2020, 08:22 AM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

It is the 12cyl cars that I always liked the sound of best. My neighbor has a FF (it had a 412K sticker 18K just for the paint), and I had a 575 back in 04( the same year I took apart a new Gallardo and made it RWD it was terrible in AWD). I owned 3 360's and 2 430's (a gearshift and F1 in both models) among others including a modified Calf T and 458 spider. The old F1 gearshifts like the Egear, SMG, CC (had that in a Maserati coupe), were not among my favorite transmissions. The Ferrari gearshift was also not that great, I would take a Miata's or S 2000 or Evora 400 over it. I am not affected by marketing and I see all cars as merely machines, some better than others, but all can be made better (especially the Gallardo). I have been on Ferrarichat since November of 2003 (longer than here), and while the member there mostly respect my experience, they do not always like my opinions. They like to imply that their cars have soul while implying a Porsche cannot. I am always quick to point out that saying your car a machine has soul is like saying your weed whacker does. I found that each Ferrari I bought I kept for less time, and finally realized that as a machine I enjoyed my 4C, my Evora 400 or even my Abarth more that any of them. Algar is a few minutes from me and they are trying to get me over the take a drive in the F8 spider, I told them I have no interest in it.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:22 AM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

Received 549 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
my 991 seems suddenly very dated and very analog, even a bit crude in comparison.
And this is why I'll keep my 991 forever. I don't see it as "dated" I see it as classic.
The following 3 users liked this post by Guards_Red_991:
cpbmd (04-05-2021), Guaji (09-30-2020), marcnyc (09-30-2020)
Old 09-30-2020, 01:36 PM
97supratt
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 182 Posts

The suspension tuning on Ferrari's is years ahead of Porsche. Be it in their GT cars (812, F12, Portofino, California, Roma) or in their sports cars (458, 488, F8), or even in their track derived versions (Speciale, or Pista). Makes the 911 feel like its shocks are broken.

The leather is also sublime. Even after 14 months of owning my 488, every time I got into the car the aroma of real leather was inescapable and intoxicating. It was also soft and supple to the touch. Porsche could really learn a lesson here.

Up until the Portofino, and really the Roma, the interior UI for Ferrari was laughable. While the PCM in the 991, or even in the 992, was really nothing to write home about, it makes the Ferrari UI seem like something stolen from the Atari era of Pac Man and Breakout. The UI in the Roma is certainly an improvement, but it isn't necessarily cutting-edge, just sort of up-to-date.

For those who haven't driven a modern Ferrari (everything after the 458 and F12) are really nothing like your father's Ferrari. For better or worse.
Don't they use magnetic ride for suspension?
Old 09-30-2020, 01:39 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,900 Likes on 1,366 Posts

If you're a true "Car Guy" you like them all, or at least you should. Let each model stand on its merits, and you won't know if it can until you drive one, regardless of how many on line reviews you study or watch. Approach with an open mind and experience what that maker has to offer. Since I've been an HPDE Instructor for over two decades, I get to be in a lot of cars, and even drive my students cars to show them the track line if they like, so I get into a lot of different marquees. Expand your knowledge base and you will find that Shelby Ford has the chops to run with your twice-as-expensive Porsche for pure performance (in spite of the largely cheap interior). Air Cooled Porsche something special? HA! I've owned three and my last one, a 993 4S was primitive, slow and has a crap factory suspension, that ship has sailed.

That Roma is so wonderfully balanced and capable as a street car, its by far the best I've ever driven. Try one out if you get the opportunity - its eye opening how good that machine is.
Old 09-30-2020, 04:18 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,132 Likes on 677 Posts

I set up my Roma test drive Oct 20. Looking forward to it. Thanks for review - will be looking out for things based on it.
Old 09-30-2020, 05:29 PM
KWP1911
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 14 Posts

I think you guys saying it looks like an Aston are missing the inspiration for it.

I believe the Roma is paying homage to this.

Last edited by KWP1911; 09-30-2020 at 07:55 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by KWP1911:
George from MD (10-02-2020), marcnyc (09-30-2020)
Old 09-30-2020, 06:29 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 259 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by KWP1911
I think you guys saying it looks like an Aston is missing the inspiration for it.

I believe the Roma is paying homage to this.

That makes sense. Back in the day, I'm sure it was/still is a work of art for many. I'm not knocking it because beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It's just not my cup of tea. To me it looks like a stretched Datsun 240Z with a hint of 80s Toyota Supra. I guess I'm not sophisticated enough. My wife loves Hermes, Chanel, Rolex, Cartier, Van Cleef & Arpels, and the list goes on. I fail to see the beauty in them but that's what attracts her. She's been bugging me that I should own a Rolex watch. I wouldn't be caught dead with one. I hate wearing anything on my wrist or on my fingers. I can hardly wear my wedding ring. To each his own.

Last edited by luv2sleep; 09-30-2020 at 06:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
KWP1911 (09-30-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 08:36 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default I drove a 488 and a Gt3 back to back at nola

And it felt like the GT3 would wax the 488.

Old 10-01-2020, 09:27 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,028 Likes on 1,275 Posts

I can't afford one, so it makes Zero difference what I think of the car, but glad you enjoyed it.

Thanks for sharing.

David
Old 10-02-2020, 01:25 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,925 Likes on 4,837 Posts

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
And it felt like the GT3 would wax the 488.
Based on personal experience?

I've owned both and can tell you what it is actually like, but it looks like you've already made up your mind.
Old 10-02-2020, 10:18 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,066 Posts

I’ve not driven a Ferrari on track at the limit. But around town and canyons i like the feel of Porsche much better.
458 i drove felt very darty off center, the dampers were over sprung and bouncy and much worse when not in bumpy road or comfort mode. And the overall chassis calibration had an overly delicate vs solid feel of the Porsche. It didn’t inspire the confidence Porsche does for me
Haven’t driven a 488 yet.
that Roma will never end up in my garage based on looks alone.
The newer sports cars I’d have to try.
Old 10-02-2020, 11:22 AM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 152 Posts

Pretty pathetic attempt to disguise a Ferrari infomercial on a 991 message board. There is a General Discussion forum for this.
Old 10-02-2020, 12:27 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,925 Likes on 4,837 Posts

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
Pretty pathetic attempt to disguise a Ferrari infomercial on a 991 message board. There is a General Discussion forum for this.
Dude, relax.

Your insecurity is showing.
The following 3 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
drcollie (10-04-2020), lrebelo (10-17-2020), SFernando (10-21-2020)

Quick Reply: Ferrari Roma vs Porsche 991.1