Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those that have bought a used 991: Was a lack of FAL a deal breaker for you?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2020, 01:42 PM
Pb Pedis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,050 Likes on 660 Posts
Default Glad I have it, wouldn't give it up either

Originally Posted by Marantz2270
....The thing is: FAL-equipped 991's seem like friggin' unicorns. I see them very rarely on the used market....So the question is: Was/is a lack of FAL a deal breaker for you?
Yes, it was a deal breaker for me.

At the beginning of my search for a 991.2, I thought it was a gimmick - just one more unnecessary electronic/hydraulic component just waiting to break. Then I started thinking about that constant awareness/vigilance one needs to have with a car like this, and I realized that I would prefer to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Consequently, I passed on a lot of very nice Turbo S cars - there is a surprising number without FAL. After using it a few times, even in Florida where the road and inclines are mostly excellent, I'm glad I insisted on it. Great piece of mind and so what if I don't use it that often. If I ever move on to a 992.2, I will either spec the car with FAL or pass on any used car without it.

Last edited by Pb Pedis; 09-16-2020 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-15-2020, 02:24 PM
carrera4esq
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Pb Pedis
Yes, it was a deal breaker for me.

At the beginning of my search for a 991.2, I thought it was a gimmick - just one more unnecessary electronic/hydraulic component just waiting to break. Then I started thinking about that constant awareness/vigilance one needs to have with a car like this, and I realized that I would prefer to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Consequently, I passed on a lot of very nice Turbo S cars - there is a surprising number without FAL. After using it a few times, even in Florida where the road and inclines are mostly excellent, I'm glad I insisted on it. Great piece of mind and so what it I don't use it that often. If I ever move on to a 992.2, I will either spec the car with FAL or pass on any used car without it.
+1
Old 09-15-2020, 11:52 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,320 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by Pb Pedis
After using it a few times, even in Florida where the road and inclines are mostly excellent, I'm glad I insisted on it. Great piece of mind and so what it I don't use it that often.
^ A great way to put it.

Old 09-16-2020, 02:58 AM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 114 Posts

I have a 991.2 C2S that is lowered by 20 mm (PASM) that I bought used. I wish I had the lift mechanism, as I am always scraping the underside of the air dam, no matter how slow or what angle I take the exits. But as you say, cars with the raising option are very rare and I don't think its practical to buy used looking for this option (basically you will not buy a car). When I bought the car I really was not aware of the lift option, and I doubt it if that would have swayed my decision in any case.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:10 AM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 363 Likes on 224 Posts

Could always buy a corvette c8 with GPS FAL
Old 09-16-2020, 01:13 PM
jp884
Pro

Received 434 Likes on 184 Posts

It all depends on which car and where you live. I find the turbos to do relatively well as they sit a little higher than the GT cars. I live in Seattle so roads look and feel like you are driving in Afghanistan. I swear sometimes you feel like you're going to run over a IED so a FAL is definitely a must for me in the GT cars. And maybe an armor plate
Old 09-16-2020, 02:26 PM
Pb Pedis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,050 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by jp884
It all depends on which car and where you live. I find the turbos to do relatively well as they sit a little higher than the GT cars. I live in Seattle so roads look and feel like you are driving in Afghanistan. I swear sometimes you feel like you're going to run over a IED so a FAL is definitely a must for me in the GT cars. And maybe an armor plate
I've seen a few ads now for skid plates... is that part actually in demand or common? Especially in places where the roads are not the best? I have skid plates on my trucks that sometimes go off road...would never think to put one on my 991.2 TTS.
Old 09-16-2020, 02:34 PM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Wished my used 991.1S came with FAL but nothing a slow down and angle pass wouldn't cure with a steep drive way or speed bump.

Quick Reply: For those that have bought a used 991: Was a lack of FAL a deal breaker for you?