Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inexpensive alternative Shifter cables (baller on a budget)

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2020, 04:44 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,020 Likes on 606 Posts
Default Inexpensive alternative Shifter cables (baller on a budget)

Hi Everyone, I thought I would share my experience with my new shifter cables. I read on the 997 forums that guys were trying these ebay special upgraded shifter cables.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...es-review.html

I decided to roll the dice for my 991 and ordered these for $199 Shipped!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Precision-Works-RACE-SPEC-Shifter-Cable-for-fits-Porsche-911-991-Carrera-GT3-RS/184333226041?hash=item2aeb1dd039:gqUAAOSwiN1dYPKG

Sorry I didn't take pictures, but they look identical to ones in the ebay listing and the 997 forum reviews. The quality look and feel awesome. I also have the numeric racing shifter, and once installed (perfect fitments) it really took my shifting feel to the next level. It did introduce some gear whine (transmission noise) most notably in 1st and 2nd gear at lower speeds. Some guys wrap silicon or fuel line around the cables to mitigate this noise, but I kinda like it. There is zero noise at highway speeds in the higher gears 4-5-6-7.

I will try to get pics when I double check the locknuts to make sure they stayed tight after initial install, which took around 3-4 hours, mostly in taking apart the center console and the million screws on the lower panel covering the transmission.

100% worth the price and they are way more robust than the OEM cables.

I have 80,000 miles on my car and wanted to be proactive on replacing the cables before broken OEM ones leave me stranded, but the shifting feel improvement is pretty huge.

Last edited by Joec500; 09-12-2020 at 04:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
fnckr (09-12-2020)
Old 09-13-2020, 08:43 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,020 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by benmickel
the individual wires that make up my shifter cable housing like to work themselves loose on my FS bike, and stick out like straws on a scarecrow's limbs. Then one day I get pricked by them. ...Any alternatives to regular cable housing? I've seen pics of cable on this forum that look like beads on a necklace. If the stuff works, then where can I get it?
I am also a cyclist and know exactly what you are referring to. these cables don't use a housing like bicycles. Bicycle cable housing is made up of strands of individual metal strands held together with a rubber/plastic sheath. My guess is they use this for bicycles to aid in flexibility of cable for easier routing in tight spots. The cables on our cars are a solid metal cable inside a metal sheath made up of a solid metal tube. My guess is most of the aftermarket shifter cables are made using cables manufactured by these guys.

http://www.controlcables.com/push-pull-cables-1/

Quick Reply: Inexpensive alternative Shifter cables (baller on a budget)