Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did I do the right thing? (Search for a 991)

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2020, 12:53 PM
sschechter1
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I do the right thing? (Search for a 991)

I’m a former 993 owner and I‘ve gotten the bug again. So I’ve been looking for a 991 coupe. I thought I had found the perfect car, even arranged the trade so we packed up and drove for 3 hours to look the car over.

it was a beautiful, very clean inside and out, C4S, 2013 and had reasonable mileage, about 25 K. I test drove it for about 20 minutes and everything felt great. Handling was tight and no unexpected noises. So we headed back to the dealer’s lot and I began to go over my inspection checklist. I went around the exterior - everything fine. Then I went back inside and began to look over the engine readings. First thing I look at was the oil level under the Vehicle display. OOPS. The gauge showed NO green except the oil pan. No green bars and the warning to add oil.

As background, the dealer had sent me records of oil filter and oil change (9 quarts, if I remember correctly) just 2 days before. So when I saw the gauge showed no oil, I freaked. Neither I nor the sales guy could see any evidence of oil on the ground. So I’m about to abandon the vehicle and he’s making all kinds of excuses, none of which made sense to me. Then he took the car back to the shop and had the tech add one more quart. He brought it back out and finally, the gauge was registering OK (about 4 bars). I started and stopped the car about 5 or 6 times, each time checking the oil reading and each time OK. By this time I was sufficiently alarmed about the mysterious missing oil, so I ended up passing on the deal. I ended up just driving home, of course, disappointed.

In reviewing what had transpired, I kept going over possible scenarios, one of which I still find hard to believe: that the mechanic had simply failed to put any oil in the vehicle. I’m not nearly knowledgeable enough to figure other possibilities. I’m wondering if I made the right decision. I’d appreciate any input you guys might have.
Thanks,
Steve

Old 08-30-2020, 01:01 PM
NF4710
Pro

Received 195 Likes on 120 Posts

Why not get a PPI and have it checked out? Could have been an error with servicing it. These cars aren’t known for oil leaks.

Cheers,
NF
Old 08-30-2020, 01:12 PM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

I've had a skilled independent Porsche shop underfill my 2017 by two litres. Following the service the gauge showed full but these gauges do some weird averaging over time before they settle in on the truth. It could be a simple mistake and a really good PPI will show any issues. By the way, there's no way they put nine quarts in if they were short by at least one.
Old 08-30-2020, 01:28 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 180 Likes on 120 Posts

I seem to recall that it's only about half a quart between full and empty.
Common occurrence during oil changes.
Whenever I change my oil I drive around the block, let it sit, and recheck oil.
Usually requires a top-up..
Old 08-30-2020, 01:32 PM
CayenneBlack
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 50 Posts

Sometimes these cars need to be driven a little (could be hours or good amount of miles) before the oil gauge register correctly. Stupid, but it is whAt it is.
The following 2 users liked this post by CayenneBlack:
Scout991 (08-30-2020), the_buch (08-30-2020)
Old 08-30-2020, 01:40 PM
Arxigos
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by CayenneBlack
Sometimes these cars need to be driven a little (could be hours or good amount of miles) before the oil gauge register correctly. Stupid, but it is whAt it is.
+1

If you do the oil change and don't bring the car back to normal operating temps, its not gonna update the oil gauge.
Old 08-30-2020, 01:44 PM
icanthelpit
Burning Brakes

Received 876 Likes on 416 Posts

Have them drain, measure what comes out and refill as necessary. If they want to sell the car, they will do this. Tell them you want to watch this being accomplished or move on to the next car.
Old 08-30-2020, 02:20 PM
sschechter1
3rd Gear

OK, it sounds like the oil sensor “fluctuations” are possibly what I was seeing. It’s just that after driving it for 20+ minutes, I’d expect the gauge to have settled. But when they added the 1.2 quarts back in, it did register from then on.

I couldn’t arrange a PPI for a couple of weeks, but it sounds like that would be the first thing to do. Thanks.

Old 08-30-2020, 02:57 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 918 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by sschechter1
OK, it sounds like the oil sensor “fluctuations” are possibly what I was seeing. It’s just that after driving it for 20+ minutes, I’d expect the gauge to have settled. But when they added the 1.2 quarts back in, it did register from then on.

I couldn’t arrange a PPI for a couple of weeks, but it sounds like that would be the first thing to do. Thanks.
this happened to me. A 1 liter under fill is easier to deal with than overfill. The warning will come on very quickly so no damage I’m sure
Old 08-31-2020, 05:56 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

I also went from several years in 993's to no Porsche, to the 991. It's much bigger then the 993, and a little less analog, but it sure is fast and fun!

The oil levels in these cars suck! If they just did a oil change and the car was not driven until hot and then let to sit, the gauge would not register. It should be part of the oil change to reset the oil gauge. But it's a time thing, and we all know how lazy the dealers have become. It's .5l from no reading to full. These cars are super sensitive to overfills. Nothing like the good old days of a 1.5m dipstick.

I would not worry about it all that much. I'm sure there was enough oil in there, and would not pass on a otherwise good car due to the gauge not being reset.
Old 08-31-2020, 08:14 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 316 Likes on 157 Posts

If the car truly didnt have oil in it, you would have known by the time you got back from your 20 minute test drive, if youd make it back.

Sucks that it was a 3 hour commute each way for ya.
The following users liked this post:
the_buch (08-31-2020)
Old 08-31-2020, 10:13 PM
sschechter1
3rd Gear

Thanks for the replies. Yes, if I had known how sensitive the oil sensor was or that there was a “reset” procedure or at least, a practice, I would have purchased it. I sure felt like dog s... going back home with no Porsche.

But it’s still there. I’m thinking... just hate that 3 hour drive each way. (The way back probably will be much better.)
Old 08-31-2020, 10:20 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 316 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by sschechter1
Thanks for the replies. Yes, if I had known how sensitive the oil sensor was or that there was a “reset” procedure or at least, a practice, I would have purchased it. I sure felt like dog s... going back home with no Porsche.

But it’s still there. I’m thinking... just hate that 3 hour drive each way. (The way back probably will be much better.)
If it checks your boxes, and its still CPO, use this opportunity to see if they are willing to discount it a bit more or even come to you (delivery)
The following users liked this post:
shammerman (09-01-2020)
Old 08-31-2020, 11:55 PM
slimmn
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 26 Posts

I agree with several of the earlier posts about the sensor not updating fast enough. I just bought my 991.1, so I can't comment on the Porsche's oil sensor, but this issue sounds very similar to my 2006 BMW 330 and 530, both with the electronic oil level sensor, which I hate.

On both BMW's, 1 quart is the difference between full and the pan (which to most people looks empty). Sometimes it updates after you drive it for 10 mins, sometimes it doesn't update till an hour later, or kill the engine, and then restart and drive it again for few minutes. Drives me nuts. In your case, I think it just haven't hit certain conditions yet needed to reset. Good luck with your decision.

Quick Reply: Did I do the right thing? (Search for a 991)