Just joined: 991.1 or 991.2

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2020, 05:11 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Welcome.

Have a .1 and love it.

If I were shopping today, I’d get the .2 no question. Maybe even a nonS. More power and, as someone said, I like to get the awd steering. I’d also like the fact the engine is likely more robust to handle the torque and possibly more reliable. Upgraded PCM and lights.

Few cons: You’ll miss the NA soundtrack, cost more $$, and the .1 looks cleaner to me. Cosmetic updates rarely improve on the original, not a fan of the .2 nose and lower rear bumper. Lastly, there is less .2 inventory.

Last edited by cvtbenhogan; 08-26-2020 at 05:14 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by cvtbenhogan:
maschinetheist (08-29-2020), S S (08-26-2020)
Old 08-26-2020, 05:13 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by G8tor
Agree with this 100%.
And if You want the NA sound, but the turbo torque, there’s always the option of adding a supercharger to a 991.1!
My chief complaint of my .24S was the highly perceptible turbo lag and general sedate driving experience if you aren’t keeping the rpms up. It’s definitely less fatiguing if you want a quiet ride. The turbo lag was truly annoying on interstates when you’re needing to make sequential passes as you’re constantly downshifting each time you want to make a pass. Roll on is terrible in top gear with the lag, making the car seem anemic. Torque is only of value once the waiting period concludes. The base 991.2 either doesn’t have lag or masks it extremely well hence why it was on my short list of replacements.

Have not driven a .2GTS. Maybe Porsche finally got it right?

Last edited by MidEngineRules; 08-26-2020 at 05:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
S S (08-26-2020)
Old 08-26-2020, 06:07 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 630 Posts

Love my 991.1. It’s slow and beautiful and a hoot to drive!
Porsche911GTS'16 (08-26-2020)
Old 08-26-2020, 06:07 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
My chief complaint of my .24S was the highly perceptible turbo lag and general sedate driving experience if you aren’t keeping the rpms up. It’s definitely less fatiguing if you want a quiet ride. The turbo lag was truly annoying on interstates when you’re needing to make sequential passes as you’re constantly downshifting each time you want to make a pass. Roll on is terrible in top gear with the lag, making the car seem anemic. Torque is only of value once the waiting period concludes. The base 991.2 either doesn’t have lag or masks it extremely well hence why it was on my short list of replacements.

Have not driven a .2GTS. Maybe Porsche finally got it right?
GTS = more boost and more turbo.... so more lag.
Old 08-26-2020, 07:24 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 158 Posts

Drive both, if you havent, and make your choice from there. From the Base to the GTS. Then, take a look at what you value next, and what you are looking for out of your 911. If things like high revving and raw-like induction and exhaust note is high on your priority, narrow your search with a .1. If more usable, updated interior tech, ease of power extraction, turbo noises is what you value more, then narrow your search with a .2 variant.

However, lets forget about all this for a moment, you have a connection with the folks at RUF???!?

Originally Posted by Racing_Nostalgia
Hi Guys, just joined the forum and look forward to contributing. I am currently looking at buying an 911 (991.1 or 991.2) and hope to find the right one and get it ready for summer of 2021. I have been around Porsche my entire life as my father was a master mechanic for Porsche at Porsche in Stuttgart, Germany and helped launch Ruf Porsche as operations manager for Ruf Porsche in Bahrain. He is good friends with Alois Ruf and with Stefan Roser, the guy that drove the Yellowbird around the Nurburgring for those of you who have seen the Ruf promo video on youtube. Now my younger brother has slipped in and works for Ruf Porsche in Germany running the motor department for all air-cooled engines. I myself although not in the auto industry because my father said there is too much politic (LOL - like every industry) but I have my side hobby racingnostalgia.com (I wont share that again as I have read the rules and no advertising - I hope I am not penalized for this) that falls into the realm of Porsche which I enjoy doing on the side. So question to the group what would you buy with less that 50, 000 miles on the clock: 991.1 or 991.2? I know the difference between the 2 but I want some open thoughts! (And yes, I already got an opinion on the cars from my family but they are not in the USA)

There is a lot of members of the 991 community that want that RUF ducktail. You need to make this happen and take one for the team!! Seriously!
The following 2 users liked this post by 911.:
Guaji (08-26-2020), S S (08-26-2020)
Old 08-26-2020, 07:46 PM
kuma1416
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Racing_Nostalgia
Hi Guys, just joined the forum and look forward to contributing. I am currently looking at buying an 911 (991.1 or 991.2) and hope to find the right one and get it ready for summer of 2021. I have been around Porsche my entire life as my father was a master mechanic for Porsche at Porsche in Stuttgart, Germany and helped launch Ruf Porsche as operations manager for Ruf Porsche in Bahrain. He is good friends with Alois Ruf and with Stefan Roser, the guy that drove the Yellowbird around the Nurburgring for those of you who have seen the Ruf promo video on youtube. Now my younger brother has slipped in and works for Ruf Porsche in Germany running the motor department for all air-cooled engines. I myself although not in the auto industry because my father said there is too much politic (LOL - like every industry) but I have my side hobby racingnostalgia.com (I wont share that again as I have read the rules and no advertising - I hope I am not penalized for this) that falls into the realm of Porsche which I enjoy doing on the side. So question to the group what would you buy with less that 50, 000 miles on the clock: 991.1 or 991.2? I know the difference between the 2 but I want some open thoughts! (And yes, I already got an opinion on the cars from my family but they are not in the USA)
Most people on this forum, including yourself, probably know a lot more about Porsches than me. But speaking from the POV of a relative newbie who looked at both the .1 and .2, I will distill it down for you: If the sensation of going fast from the time you back out of your garage to when you pull into the grocery store parking lot is very important to your enjoyment of this car, then hands down, go with the 991.2.
The following 2 users liked this post by kuma1416:
maschinetheist (08-29-2020), S S (08-26-2020)
Old 08-26-2020, 10:11 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
Racing__Nostalgia - there are numerous very lengthy threads in the 991 forum on this exact topic. You could spend hours reading opinions on the 991.1 vs 991.2 debate. I'm an NA guy, so I have a 991.1 GTS cab but I also have a 991.2 (Touring). The 991.2 Carrera was a huge paradigm shift with the turbocharged engine. Some love it, some are old-school, die hard NA guys like myself. Most would tell you to drive both and go after whichever one makes you smile the most.
This is a fair and balanced answer I can support.

OP - best to drive both back to back and vote with your wallet. Let us know what you end up getting. Happy shopping!
Porsche911GTS'16 (08-26-2020)
Old 08-27-2020, 12:08 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,354 Posts

Originally Posted by k_h_d
IMHO unless there is something extremely specific you must have in a Porsche (for example air cooled 993) I would simply get the newest Porsche you can afford...

I am sure very few people can dispute that with every generation the car gets more advanced and better performance.

i love the way modern turbos drive.
But that does not equate to better looks, which matters to me the most.
Old 08-27-2020, 12:52 AM
997at
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 33 Posts

I posted this in a similar thread.
In reflecting on this thread and reading the many opinions on how many feel the .1 is so "lacking" around town and in general compared to the .2, I crack up a bit. I start to wonder how many opinions are those of true Porschephiles versus those who base everything on 0 - 60 and beating everyone to the next stoplight. If that is your goal, maybe the 911 isn't for you. 911s are certainly about speed as well but they are so much more. They're about heritage, style, quality of build, and of course overall driving experience. They do make a car for straight line speed bragging rights too...its called a TTS. The notion that any 991 is too slow around town is beyond ridiculous. Glad I'm not living in your town if a 991.1 is too slow around town Is faster always better? I'm not of that opinion myself. There was a well known air-cooled article a while back where the author asked many air-cooled mechanics and retailers what the "ideal" air cooled car was. 993 you must be thinking. Nope. A surprising number said the "lowly" 911SC. The author then asked "What if someone whats something better than an SC like a 993?" The response was "It won't be better, it will just be faster, heavier, and more complicated." Bottom line, they're all amazing and we're privileged to be able to drive them. I love all 991s by the way.
The following 3 users liked this post by 997at:
maschinetheist (08-29-2020), Porsche911GTS'16 (08-27-2020), Scott in NC (08-28-2020)
Old 08-27-2020, 01:00 AM
911toR8
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 997at
In reflecting on this thread and reading the many opinions on how many feel the .1 is so "lacking" around town and in general compared to the .2, I crack up a bit. I start to wonder how many opinions are those of true Porschephiles versus those who base everything on 0 - 60 and beating everyone to the next stoplight. If that is your goal, maybe the 911 isn't for you. 911s are certainly about speed as well but they are so much more. They're about heritage, style, quality of build, and of course overall driving experience. They do make a car for straight line speed bragging rights too...its called a TTS. The notion that any 991 is too slow around town is beyond ridiculous. Glad I'm not living in your town if a 991.1 is too slow around town Is faster always better? I'm not of that opinion myself. There was a well known air-cooled article a while back where the author asked many air-cooled mechanics and retailers what the "ideal" air cooled car was. 993 you must be thinking. Nope. A surprising number said the "lowly" 911SC. The author then asked "What if someone whats something better than an SC like a 993?" The response was "It won't be better, it will just be faster, heavier, and more complicated." Bottom line, they're all amazing and we're privileged to be able to drive them. I love all 991s by the way.
Power and speed is also part of the experience, not just stop light to stop light but how the car carries the extra power and speed around a track.

Would you buy a 300 horsepower Ferrari? Would you even look at a new Ferrari if it only had 300 horsepower?
Old 08-27-2020, 02:25 AM
Zekiel
Advanced

I would def look at a 300 HP Ferrari, if it was manual and say, close to 2000 lbs. you would have so much fun on the street vs something that you have to be going over 100mph to feel like it’s a sports car.

Prior to my 991.1, I had an Sti turbo and a Supra TT among others. There’s something to going back to NA RWD, it’s a different kind of fast. You have to work a bit more for it. I like ‘em all and wish I could have them all.
Old 08-27-2020, 02:40 AM
911toR8
Advanced

Originally Posted by Zekiel
I would def look at a 300 HP Ferrari, if it was manual and say, close to 2000 lbs. you would have so much fun on the street vs something that you have to be going over 100mph to feel like it’s a sports car.

Prior to my 991.1, I had an Sti turbo and a Supra TT among others. There’s something to going back to NA RWD, it’s a different kind of fast. You have to work a bit more for it. I like ‘em all and wish I could have them all.
At 2,000 lb weight you're driving a tin can at that point. Not even a 1st gen miata weighs 2,000 lbs.
Old 08-27-2020, 02:59 AM
Zekiel
Advanced

Hey, let me have my moment. Ferrari: 300 HP, ~2000lbs. 250 GTO. If that’s a tin can, I want it.

The following 3 users liked this post by Zekiel:
ducktails (08-27-2020), maschinetheist (08-29-2020), SConn (08-30-2020)
Old 08-27-2020, 03:07 AM
911toR8
Advanced

Originally Posted by Zekiel
Hey, let me have my moment. Ferrari: 300 HP, ~2000lbs. 250 GTO. If that’s a tin can, I want it.

I want one too! Too bad modern cars will never be this light but that car looks like a blast to drive
Old 08-27-2020, 10:28 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Originally Posted by 997at
Don't mind the heretics who say the 991.1 is lacking. Here is a video vs an M4 with more HP and over 100 ft pounds more torques.... the professional driver praises the torque of the old, NA, 911. In a BASE 3.4 Carrera.

Also ignore the comments around tech and creature comfort. Now that the 992 is out the 991.2 interior is as modern as a dinosaur and much closer to the 991.1 than any modern interior.

Quick Reply: Just joined: 991.1 or 991.2