Sponsored by:

HELP! Where do you put your “key”?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2020, 04:20 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 718 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by bet
More than likely an issue with the battery contact in the key itself. The battery in the key can get loose and/or lose contact and cause the key not to transmit properly. Happens to one of my keys all the time. You just have to take the battery cover off and move the battery around and close it and it works. Recently I put a piece of folded up paper (not covering any contacts) to make it fit more tightly and it hasn't lost contact but it is too early to tell if it is a complete fix. I have even been driving when the car tells me there is no key in the car before.
Just wanted to say thank you again for this useful suggestion. Following your advice, I took the key apart and used 3 very small (1mm x 1mm) squares of Gorrilla Duct Tape under the battery cap. This seemed to add just enough to stabilize the battery in the compartment. I've had zero issues with the key and the fob works perfectly, 100% of the time.

Old 09-12-2020, 03:57 AM
Barry100
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

FYI. You can drive off without the key!

i have a 981BS. I pulled it out on to the driveway to warm up.

After changing clothes, I went out to the running car, got in and drove off without the key.

It gives you a warning on the 3rd gauge.

If you don’t notice the warning you could drive a while, then shut off the engine and be stranded.

I read about a guy doing that with a late model Harley. He had to get a new key at the nearest dealership.

Old 09-12-2020, 12:14 PM
gatorfast
Pro

Received 462 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Barry100
FYI. You can drive off without the key!

i have a 981BS. I pulled it out on to the driveway to warm up.

After changing clothes, I went out to the running car, got in and drove off without the key.

It gives you a warning on the 3rd gauge.

If you don’t notice the warning you could drive a while, then shut off the engine and be stranded.

I read about a guy doing that with a late model Harley. He had to get a new key at the nearest dealership.
Thats the same for every keyless start vehicle. Once the car is started you can throw the key out of the window and of course the car will remain running until you shut it down.
Old 09-12-2020, 12:18 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by gatorfast
Thats the same for every keyless start vehicle. Once the car is started you can throw the key out of the window and of course the car will remain running until you shut it down.
or run out of gas.
Old 09-13-2020, 10:37 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Left pocket and wallet goes in door side lower pocket that closes. Iphone normally right pocket and that will block the key from working, so that's why I put it in left.

Keyless entry works great. Used to 2014 boxster without and the simple thing of NOT getting key out to unlock or lock the car is really nice).
Old 09-13-2020, 10:56 PM
0luke1
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 162 Posts

I have to be careful of my large leathery

Quick Reply: HELP! Where do you put your “key”?