Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Numeric Shifter Cables worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2020, 09:06 AM
SlickOne
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Question Numeric Shifter Cables worth it?

I just purchased the numeric shifter. Is it worth the time and money getting the cables too?

Thanks!
Old 08-08-2020, 10:52 AM
Catharpin
Burning Brakes

Received 563 Likes on 300 Posts

While I have no actual experiences with numeric, from what I have read the answer is a big yes.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:57 AM
Wolpertinger
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 270 Posts

I put the Numeric cables on my 2011 987.2 Cayman S and the difference was dramatic. Much more precise, no slop. And peace of mind knowing the ends aren't going to break and leave you stranded. Worth every penny.
Old 08-08-2020, 11:04 AM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts

Had them on my 997 and the shifter and cables transformed the whole stick experience. Just the shifter was an improvement but the cables brought it all together. Just a FYI...the cables do transfer a little of gear noise into the cabin but it is not intrusive or annoying, but at least for me, ties you more to the car (if that makes sense). If you’re thinking of a Function First Trans Mount bushing to stiffen up the movement of the trans, that really increases the NVH into the cabin. I did and took it out a week later.
Old 08-08-2020, 11:16 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 630 Posts

Resounding YES. I have in my 987. Another piece that I like is the FF1 transmission mount as I have these in all my Porsche sports cars.
Old 08-08-2020, 01:52 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,028 Likes on 612 Posts

I have the Function First Trans mount in Orange (Softest) It does transmit some NVH, but it noticeably improves the throttle response and shifter feel. To me it's worth it. I would not get anything harder than their softest one.

I also have the numeric shifter and love it. I was going to get their cables until I saw this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Precision-W...72.m2749.l2649

And then saw reviews from the 997 guys here and figured I would take one for the team

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...es-review.html

Old 08-08-2020, 02:23 PM
medtech_expat
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Subscribed. I’ve got the Numeric shifter and have been wondering about the incremental improvement by adding cables too.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:27 PM
supercroc
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Numeric

Originally Posted by SlickOne
I just purchased the numeric shifter. Is it worth the time and money getting the cables too?

Thanks!
Did the shifter and cables on my Carrera T. Don't know what the extra increment due to cables is but, overall, VERY HAPPY. Cables did seem a bit stouter than stock. Would also recommend safety wiring them in at the transmission end. Bonus is that if you do the install yourself (not too tough) you get TWO punches on your "Carperson" card.
Old 08-09-2020, 02:47 PM
Jeahbladejeah
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by supercroc
Did the shifter and cables on my Carrera T. Don't know what the extra increment due to cables is but, overall, VERY HAPPY. Cables did seem a bit stouter than stock. Would also recommend safety wiring them in at the transmission end. Bonus is that if you do the install yourself (not too tough) you get TWO punches on your "Carperson" card.
I installed the shifter a few months ago and have the cables sitting in the garage. I could probably answer OPs question if I find decent instructions.

Is there a video somewhere showing how to install the cables? The only one I could find was in a cup car that didn’t have the armrest or interior trim.
Old 08-09-2020, 05:24 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

We have the shifter and the cables in our 996 track car. It’s like working a rifle bolt. Amazing.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:46 PM
Sarawnty
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal C2S
Had them on my 997 and the shifter and cables transformed the whole stick experience. Just the shifter was an improvement but the cables brought it all together. Just a FYI...the cables do transfer a little of gear noise into the cabin but it is not intrusive or annoying, but at least for me, ties you more to the car (if that makes sense). If you’re thinking of a Function First Trans Mount bushing to stiffen up the movement of the trans, that really increases the NVH into the cabin. I did and took it out a week later.

I installed the Numeric shifter and cables in my T. I initially had a fair bit of mechanical noise in the cabin until installing the silicone tubing on the exterior sections. Much quieter now. Overall, super pleased and highly recommend for those looking for a more precise and easier shifting experience.

Last edited by Sarawnty; 08-09-2020 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-09-2020, 09:24 PM
Rapter
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Can we canvas the supplier "numeric" for a round of discounts and a group buy?

Who is in?
Old 08-09-2020, 09:38 PM
cjjones
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put the numeric shifter and cables in my '18 4GTS. I echo all the comments about how much improved it is over stock. I did have a lot of noise coming into the cabin from the cables though. They made a lot of noise at a certain RPM. I read another thread about this on here. I decided to wrap coolant hose around the cables and put sound deadening material under neath the center console where the shifter and cables are located. Since you're going to be in this area, I highly recommend doing this.

Quick Reply: Numeric Shifter Cables worth it?