Sponsored by:

991.2 base with fabspeed headers+sport cats

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2020, 08:55 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by VektorPerformance
Man that pic made me spit out my afternoon java bump I'm flattered you think we'd buy by the ton in unprocessed raw stock. If memory serves me correctly, North America has 2 mills that produce 321 tube from raw stock. I have no plans for being number 3, but that would be one hell of a goal!

Here's a couple quick screen shot from a couple popular tubing suppliers showing a common size & bends in both 304 and 321. We don't buy or sell 'standard' elbows but this gives you an idea of the price differences and range.

The cost delta is much more than just the material. The equipment, skill level and labor rate to work on it are also different. 321 contains less carbon than 304(or 304L) and includes the addition of titanium. This [titanium] also makes it much less susceptible to expansion/contraction from heat cycles. The titanium component of 321 is negligible when it comes to weight..... The debate also arises that some say this superior thermal characteristic is preferred while others would testify that 304[L] is better for headers because it expands and contracts as a more consistent rate with the block and gasket. I know the Porsche Cup and RSR cars use 304L but 321 also has merit. For a street car, none of this matters
Old 08-07-2020, 09:35 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 594 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by garfunkle
I know the Porsche Cup and RSR cars use 304L but 321 also has merit. For a street car, none of this matters
The Cup and RSR cars are naturally aspirated though compared to the turbo 991.2 Carreras For a street car that isn't driven hard, I agree, 304L is fine. For a car driven hard, 321 is more robust. I'm surprised though that Cup and RSR cars would use 304L. Even NASCAR uses thin-wall inconel. Oh man, the old F1 super thin wall inconel headers on the 20,000rpm V8s were something else! Of course, those were only designed to last one race using extreme thin wall to save weight. And I know this is slightly derailing, but on the topic of weight savings, Gordan Murray's T.50 is an exercise in weight shaving. The pedals went through a few design iterations which removed 300 grams.
The following 2 users liked this post by spdracerut:
F1SML8R (08-08-2020), VektorPerformance (08-08-2020)

Quick Reply: 991.2 base with fabspeed headers+sport cats