Sponsored by:

New Member closing on a deal for Carrera T - Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2020, 12:40 PM
R N M
Racer

Received 269 Likes on 118 Posts
Default New Member closing on a deal for Carrera T - Need Advice

Hi All - worked out a deal to purchase CPO T.
This would be my first Porsche as a long time BMW owner. Currently also own F80 M3 Comp and X3 M40i.

The car is heavily optioned with PDK, FAL, and RAS. I would prefer manual but price, warranty and low mileage on this one is hard to turn down. It does have the T interior and 18 way seats which i really like.

Few questions:
1) Current tires are Pirelli P Zeros - were these stock or were Michelins also offered? How long do they typically last?
2) Besides the 2 keys and books - what are the important things to get from the dealer as documentation - build sheet, maintenance etc?
3) Any known issues that i need to look for on these cars?

Appreciate any feedback!
Old 08-02-2020, 12:46 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 540 Likes on 316 Posts

If you would prefer a manual, why compromise? The car you're looking at sounds like it has a fantastic set of options, but I'd be patient and wait for what you really want. PDK would be a 100% deal-breaker for me, personally.

The P Zero's are the standard tire. They're not great tires. I am going to manage about 17,000 km (10,500 miles) before my rear tires are mostly done. I can't wait to dump these for some MP4S... only issue I'm running into is availability in Canada in the stock sizes, I can't find any at the moment.

I'd want the full-service history of the vehicle. Most folks here are adamant about a PPI, but I skipped one on mine as it was CPO and coming from a Porsche dealer. In hindsight, I wish I would have had one done as they would have uncovered a few items that wouldn't have made me walk away from the car, but certainly would have improved my bargaining position.

Water pump is a known failure on the turbo motors. Otherwise, they're very bulletproof!
The following 2 users liked this post by koala:
S S (08-02-2020), spyderbret (08-03-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 12:48 PM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 888 Likes on 400 Posts

Congrats!

They should be to pull maintenance in records since it’s CPO. As a PDK car, I wouldn’t worry about anything else. For MT a DME for over revs would be prudent.

Perellis or Michelins came stock, depending on what Zuffenhausen had on hand. You can get over 10k on them if you don’t drive like a hooligan.

The only real widely reported issue with the 991.2s has been water pumps. If you look under the rear and see any pink moisture, residue then it’s failed/failing. As a CPO, you’re fine and odds are you’ll be fine, as it appears that issue has tapered off as of late 18s and 19s. Still occurs, but doesn’t seem as widely.

Welcome and you’ll find all kinds of great threads and folks here to learn from. Good luck!

ß
Old 08-02-2020, 12:53 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 555 Likes on 335 Posts

Michelins are also OEM and preferred by many over the Zeros. I've got 12k on the Michelin rears of my C4S and working through a not uncommon camber issue at the rears that wear the inside edges.

As above, ask for any and all service records on the car, get hard copies. Ask where was the car originally purchased, any history to the car, trade-in, lease return and the like. Check CarFax as well.

You didn't mention year and mileage, that would help getting feedback..
Old 08-02-2020, 01:20 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 718 Likes on 480 Posts

Welcome. Can't say I can think of much to add from the above posts. Year and mileage would help, as mentioned by @BSO. Yeah, water pumps, in particular on '17s, seem an issue.

My '17 came with Pzeros. I replaced them 12/20/19 with a set of four Michelin PS4S at 24,597. My car was CPO, and I believe these were the original PZeros, as far as I know. It's also possible they were replaced at the time of the CPO (June '19) when I bought it. 25K out of a set of tires is pretty good, now I think about it. They were at 6.0mm, front and rear.

The dealer should be able to give you a copy of the service records; it might help to bring in a box of doughnuts, though (that's what I did. ).

Besides the keys and manual set, I would:

- If you have ventilated/heated seats. operate ALL the control buttons, both driver and passenger side. These buttons (in particular, the ones under the cup holder) can and do get gunked up over time - meaning the click on/click off operation of the switch is impossible. (I sorted this out on mine with Contact Cleaner and a plastic straw stuffed into the cracks and wriggled around until the buttons started to work.)

- Open the frunk and check the toolkit for the tools. If you have a security bolt on the wheels, make sure the wheel security bolt adapter is there (mine was in the glove box.) Ditto for the tire inflator itself, and the tire inflator gunk bottle. Make sure it's not expired.

- Make sure that both front windows raise and lower with no issues. Make sure the spoiler raises and lowers (use the manual raise/lower button).

- Pull out and look under the floor mats. I didn't do this on my '17, but did when I got home. Turns out the OEM pedal pad was worn and torn. If I had simply pulled the floor mats out at the selling dealer, I might have used this as a negotiation.

- A CPO car does not mean "pristine", it means it has passed a mechanical inspection and has an extended OEM warranty. This is a good thing. But it does not mean the car has not had body damage or been repaired. Ask this question.

- Make sure the car is a CPO. Some dealers can / will show you the CPO inspection sheet, or some will share the screen info from PCNA. If you aren't sure, ask PCNA. Give them the VIN and they will confirm. My dealer did not share any paperwork confirming the car was a CPO until after I drove home to Tampa. Shame on me. It did take about 7 weeks until I got my CPO welcome package and CPO "credit card" from Atlanta.

- Yes the water pump is a common failure item. Especially on on '17s. But it is covered by warranty, if it has not been replaced.

- I would ask that all open recalls and campaigns be taken care of at the dealer prior to pickup. You can enter the VIN on PCNA web site and find out what recalls are open on that car.

- If you are interested in any accessories, ask at the time of signing the paperwork. They may throw in a set of rubber mats, or a Porsche Keychain. Or you may want a bottle of oil for the trip home and one of those snazzy oil containers. Or a bottle of Porsche Windscreen concentrate. Or a kit with touch up plus clear coat paint in your Porsche paint color. You may be offered a discount if you purchase at time of sale, or the sales guy may just give them to you. (My wife asked for and got a nice blue Porsche leather keychain, gratis, when she bought her Cayenne, for example.)

Lastly, and obviously up to you, but I hope you really want those T bucket seats. I did a PEC ATL experience for an hour in a MT 911 T, since that was the closest they had to my car (poverty spec C2 7 MT). At the end of the session, they had to lever me out of the driver's seat with the Jaws of Life. Kinda kidding, but dang if I'd be able to put up with those day after day after day.

Good luck!

Last edited by Rich_Jenkins; 08-02-2020 at 01:25 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Rich_Jenkins:
GT3FZS (08-02-2020), Jeahbladejeah (08-02-2020), sprtent (08-02-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 01:30 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

Everyone covered it.

Maintenance records may not be available except from the dealer that performed the work - I'm not sure that these things are held centrally and available to all dealers. Check carfax for anything to worry about.

The build sheet you can get from vinanalytics.com.

Old 08-02-2020, 02:24 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,132 Likes on 681 Posts

If you want a manual, don’t do it.
The following 4 users liked this post by Keadog:
ducktails (08-02-2020), GT3FZS (08-02-2020), Rich_Jenkins (08-02-2020), spyderbret (08-03-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 02:58 PM
Nixin
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

Honestly, while the PDK may be a touch quicker, a manual is the way to go with the particular model. Buy what you think you will enjoy most. Let us know what you ended up purchasing. Good luck.
Old 08-02-2020, 04:54 PM
Bassman79
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 39 Posts

Lots of great feedback here. Just to echo the above, if a manual is what you wanted, I’d wait for a manual. I wanted a manual .1 C4S and a lot of really great PDK cars showed up during my search, but I took my time and waited for the right car, and I’m glad I did. Best of luck!
The following users liked this post:
GT3FZS (08-02-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 06:37 PM
Clubspec330i
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by R N M
Hi All - worked out a deal to purchase CPO T.
This would be my first Porsche as a long time BMW owner. Currently also own F80 M3 Comp and X3 M40i.

The car is heavily optioned with PDK, FAL, and RAS. I would prefer manual but price, warranty and low mileage on this one is hard to turn down. It does have the T interior and 18 way seats which i really like.

Few questions:
1) Current tires are Pirelli P Zeros - were these stock or were Michelins also offered? How long do they typically last?
2) Besides the 2 keys and books - what are the important things to get from the dealer as documentation - build sheet, maintenance etc?
3) Any known issues that i need to look for on these cars?

Appreciate any feedback!
How funny, I was in a similar situation; F80 M3 and X6M. My '15 M3 as traded in for low mileage CPO T back in June of this year. I passed on several T because of PDK. Since my M3 was manual, I wanted to stay manual and as a low option T as possible.

Good luck on the deal.
The following users liked this post:
GT3FZS (08-02-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 08:11 PM
macanakey
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

I don't have anything to add other than I don't think it's a huge deal to accept a PDK. It shifts so much more smoothly & faster than I could ever shift manually, so if the car fits on other fronts, go for it. Good luck!
Old 08-02-2020, 10:04 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Sorry for sounding like a broken record but I have to say it - wait for a manual. I love mine and could not fathom driving without it, and if Porsche did not offer one I would be on the Ferrari or Lambo Forums rather than here. You may enjoy the PDK for a while but I can assure you the manual will be on your mind. It is your money but I would not settle for a PDK if you prefer a manual, which is what you said! And I believe you will not have to wait that long to find one.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bob Z.:
NJ991 (08-03-2020), Restore (08-05-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 10:27 PM
omaralt
Racer

Received 223 Likes on 89 Posts

To reiterate what most said above me, GET A MANUAL! If you want a manual and get a PDK you’ll be looking to trade it in a few months later

I was looking for a base manual and I could have a gotten great deals on a PDK, since they’re plentiful. I’ve bought auto when I wanted manual and regretted it. Good luck; I’m also a ex-bmw owner who owned multiple F80 M3s and an x5. Performance wise the 911 blows them out of the water IMO. However practicality wise the bmw gets the nod. Biggest weakness for the Porsche is the technology. Between the HUD, I drive, etc the bmw gets the nod when it comes to the technology
Old 08-02-2020, 10:42 PM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,125 Likes on 670 Posts

I agree on the manual-unless you want to go 9s in the 1/4...then go for the pdk
Old 08-02-2020, 10:45 PM
Jeahbladejeah
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by omaralt
If you want a manual and get a PDK you’ll be looking to trade it in a few months later
OP, this is a common theme in RL forums.

You have a great car. You’re looking to upgrade. Don’t settle for the first “close match” or you will likely regret it.

The people here saying PDK is fine are right if you are on the fence or don’t otherwise have a preference. PDK is one of (if not) the best automatic transmissions available.

But you said you wanted a manual, so I suggest you get a manual.

Quick Reply: New Member closing on a deal for Carrera T - Need Advice