Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member closing on a deal for Carrera T - Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2020, 11:11 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 214 Posts

I picked up a 991.1 PDK because it was a great deal and had every option I wanted, EXCEPT a manual. Enjoyed it for less than a year, and now I have a 991.2 GTS manual. Other than exhaust note, it’s hands down the car for me. Your M3 has DCT already, I wouldn’t get another one. Just me. Keep searching, and open up your search, if you haven’t already. I searched the entire US until I found my car at the other side of the country. Worked out great. Good luck and keep us updated.
Old 08-03-2020, 11:23 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,354 Posts

Originally Posted by tyhp
I prefer manual but I can still live and being happy with PDK. I like the engagement of manual but I also enjoy the quick shift and launch control of PDK.
Many feel that way but it's what the OP wants since he wanted the feedback...have you decided R N M? In a funny kind of way I almost want you to get the PDK so we can tell you we told you so!
The following users liked this post:
BlackOptic (08-03-2020)
Old 08-04-2020, 12:19 AM
737gdog
Burning Brakes

Received 565 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ991
I picked up a 991.1 PDK because it was a great deal and had every option I wanted, EXCEPT a manual. Enjoyed it for less than a year, and now I have a 991.2 GTS manual. Other than exhaust note, it’s hands down the car for me. Your M3 has DCT already, I wouldn’t get another one. Just me. Keep searching, and open up your search, if you haven’t already. I searched the entire US until I found my car at the other side of the country. Worked out great. Good luck and keep us updated.
Bought a ‘14 991.1 with pdk, cpo, 2,500 miles, checked every box except transmission. Enjoyed the car 1.5 years and sold it. Bought a’19 T with a manual. Pdk is an amazing transmission but I was bored with it. I will buy another pdk car when older and not comfortable with a manual. Either way you are getting a 911. Cannot go wrong.
Old 08-04-2020, 12:57 AM
Clubspec330i
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

OP,

Have you gotten the car? I am sure PDK is just as fun if not more fun than diy gear change. Please do share some photos.

Cheers,

-Mack
Old 08-06-2020, 02:45 AM
R N M
Racer

Received 255 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ991
Issue is i have a trade so it has to be within reasonable driving distance.
Old 08-06-2020, 02:49 AM
R N M
Racer

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Many feel that way but it's what the OP wants since he wanted the feedback...have you decided R N M? In a funny kind of way I almost want you to get the PDK so we can tell you we told you so!
Quick update - drove 991.2 base Manual with SportChrono (rev match).
Honestly I’m not in love with the shifter compared to my BRZ. Also the clutch pedal has very long travel. The manual is not bad by any means - the T i know is more of a short shifter but gearing is the same?
Old 08-06-2020, 02:58 AM
R N M
Racer

Originally Posted by 737gdog
Bought a ‘14 991.1 with pdk, cpo, 2,500 miles, checked every box except transmission. Enjoyed the car 1.5 years and sold it. Bought a’19 T with a manual. Pdk is an amazing transmission but I was bored with it. I will buy another pdk car when older and not comfortable with a manual. Either way you are getting a 911. Cannot go wrong.
I’m thinking to get it for now and then eventually upgrade to a 992 GTS manual if it comes with NA engine. The car will have 5years of warranty so would give me plenty of time.

Originally Posted by Clubspec330i
OP,

Have you gotten the car? I am sure PDK is just as fun if not more fun than diy gear change. Please do share some photos.

Cheers,

-Mack
Not yet - need to decide by tomorrow and pickup by Saturday.

Thanks all for feedback.

Besides lack of manual- my other main concern is the sound. Do the 991.2 S / GTS variants sound better?
This particular one has the nose lift - does this add significant weight and other potential issues?
Old 08-08-2020, 03:06 PM
R N M
Racer

Thoughts on this spec and car.
A bit higher than I wanted to spend.

https://www.paulmillerporsche.com/us...b8e90324f2.htm
Old 08-08-2020, 03:13 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by R N M

Only opinion that matters is your own since options and taste are so subjective, but I think it's a really nice spec. Personally I like the no leather, Bose, and standard xenons over the opposite, only complaint is sunroof as I prefer my coupes slicktop. Glad to see the buckets in there, the 991 and T look great in white.

As far as price, all I tell myself is you can't drive money
Old 08-08-2020, 03:15 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 273 Posts

I’m thinking to get it for now and then eventually upgrade to a 992 GTS manual if it comes with NA engine. The car will have 5years of warranty so would give me plenty of time.

Thanks all for feedback.

Besides lack of manual- my other main concern is the sound. Do the 991.2 S / GTS variants sound better?
This particular one has the nose lift - does this add significant weight and other potential issues?
Sound is also very subjective but I've had a bunch of good NA cars and I find the 3.0 turbo to sound great. It can be polarizing though, so I think you should test drive and decide for yourself.

Front axle lift from Porsche is a great option and I think the pros will outweigh the cons there. YMMV
Old 08-08-2020, 03:17 PM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Received 1,079 Likes on 449 Posts

Great spec, but would have been a bit better without the sunroof. It sort of negates the weight savings of the carbon buckets and rear seat delete.

Also no Carrera T interior pack but that’s just cosmetic stuff.

Looks like a great car and low miles, these are getting harder to find with the manual so if you are ok with the sunroof I would say go for it. Maybe see if you can get 5% off asking price.
polobai (08-08-2020)
Old 08-08-2020, 03:35 PM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,125 Likes on 670 Posts

Not bad-same opinion for me on the sunroof. Also, make sure there is no need (or won’t be anytime soon for backseat). With the buckets there is no simple way to add them in. Also make sure you sit in a pair before committing and get in and out a few times. The people that have them seem to love them but do comment on the acrobatics that goes on to get in and out of them. There was a very nice spec in white that was on p-car marketplace the other week. I wonder if it sold? Owner is a Rennlister.
Old 08-08-2020, 03:47 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 587 Likes on 396 Posts

Thanks all for feedback.

Equal length headers with sport cats makes most people happy with the sounds. Plenty of threads and sound clips.
Old 08-08-2020, 04:27 PM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 888 Likes on 400 Posts

The color is right! That will be a great drive... I think the value, if this matters vis-a-vis it being more than you wanted to pay, will hold. Particularly as the rest of the 992 line-up is (or isn't, actually) revealed. It's all downhill from here...

Good luck in your decision!

SS

Last edited by S S; 08-08-2020 at 04:36 PM.
Old 08-08-2020, 05:19 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 715 Likes on 479 Posts

Nice car.

I put the VIN into vinanalytics, and came up with this:

I have the same wheels; just in a lighter silver. I like them a lot.

Dunno they did shifters in alcantara.

I had instrument dials in white on my 981 S. I would not order them. They were very distracting in the day time. At night, they were absolutely black. Wierd. I get that some like colored instrument dials, but it is a huge turn off for me, now. YMMV of course.

I didn't have a choice on the sunroof on my CPO, it's the one thing I didn't really want. But it came with the car. It works well, and in fact I had it open briefly today when it was like 100 F in Orlando visiting my son today lol. So I do use it.

The fire extinguisher is cool.

MT+SC is a good combo.

You have to like those seats. I did a PEC ATL session in a 911 T with those seats. They fit me very deep and very firm. Just me, but no way would I want them in a daily driver. Track car? Sure. But it was a major PITA to hop in and out of the car each time. But again, YMMV.

"For me", it would be a pass, in particular I didn't want a white car. But obviously this is subjective; a '19 CPO is going to be a good deal long term, for sure.

Good luck!
wilmaya (12-07-2020)

Quick Reply: New Member closing on a deal for Carrera T - Need Advice